BlueMoods

Friday Shindig

30 posts in this topic

What exactly is that? There's not really any information about it other than the time and date and being billed as "World's Largest Study Hall." The sign up form asks for name, number, title, and organization. What should we put for title and organization?

Hi BlueMoods:

Vanessa Ament and I are hosting a live video chat with any students who want to spend an hour on Friday chatting about the course content. It is completely optional but should be fun.

We call it the World's Study Hall, because there is no limit to how many students can attend.

We are calling it a "study hall" a bit tongue in cheek - it's really just a large-scale gathering of the students in thisc course and a great chance to live discuss musicals and the course material.

You do not need to put in a title or organization - those fields are optional.

Hope you can join us! 

Best, Richard

13 minutes ago, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

Hope you can join us! 

Best, Richard

Thank you, Dr. Edwards. Does it require any special downloads or equipment? My headphones do have a microphone so I'm good there already but I don't know about video.

No special equipment needed! You only need a webcam, no microphone. There is not even a program to download. I like Shindig because it all works inside your regular browser. 

See you on Friday!

Richard

Is it possible to just tune in and “be a fly on the wall” - in other words, not turn on my webcam.  I’m a little shy..lol.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kathie2 said:

Is it possible to just tune in and “be a fly on the wall” - in other words, not turn on my webcam.  I’m a little shy..lol.

Yes, you can just watch, you do not have to turn on your webcam to see the rest of the Shindig live. You only need your webcam on if you want to interact with other students or with the moderators (Dr. Ament and myself)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kathie2 said:

I don't even have a webcam. So make that two flys on the wall. :)

• Like 1

I couldn't access the Shindig town hall via Firefox. Did anyone else have this problem?

• Like 1

I can access (from Chrome), but I don't know if I'm missing something - can't hear or see the discussion...just the student icons and/or photo

I am very disappointed.  I am trying on my IPad as well - on the Shindig app.  Just buffering.   I was looking so forward to this. 

I'm running late because of a work assignment but I clicked the link on the email and I couldn't seem to get in. I didn't get a message of any kind, the screen just remained on the signin page.

• Like 1

I don't know if I couldn't get in because of my late arrival or I wasn't doing something correctly, or just a glitch. I hope everyone who was able to make it had a wonderful time. It sounded like it would be great fun!

Well I thought I figured out the problem...I typed my email address wrong...but even after putting in correctly, I still couldn't access the event. Ah well, that's life, that's what people say. :)

Im super disappointed I could not get this to work. It would have been nice to know the Chrome requirements before going in. But even as I tried to download Chrome before the lecture - when completed it would not work even with w restart. Very disappointed...

• Like 1

Yes, I am sorry I couldn't get this to work. But I suspect there will be another film class (keeping my fingers crossed!) and that Drs. Edwards and Ament will figure out all glitches by then.

It's been a great class, though. It's given me a greater appreciation for musicals, a genre I wouldn't have picked to study.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LynnBlake said:

Im super disappointed I could not get this to work. It would have been nice to know the Chrome requirements before going in. But even as I tried to download Chrome before the lecture - when completed it would not work even with w restart. Very disappointed...

I'm on Chrome and could not get it to work. Maybe I should have tried Firefox but the session was half over by the time I could make it I'm not sure it would have been worth it anyway.

What? Where?

Wow, even in a free online course, the cool students find a way to break away from the rest of us and hang out together. ?

• Haha 1

I was finally able to get in with my IPhone...however the sound and picture kept on buffering out.  I am hoping that the session will be able to access on-demand and not live.  What I could manage to hear was interesting.  

I got both images and audio, but they were intermittent. When they did both work, they were out of sync. Several times, the question and answer were playing simultaneously, resulting in the audios talking over each other. I stuck with it through the whole thing and never did get a complete question and answer. Sounded like others were hearing and seeing everything, so I'm not sure how much of the problem was on my end. Some of the comments sounded interesting, at least what I could hear of them.

I downloaded the Shindig app on my iPad and had no problem. There were some good questions and answers but an hour was too short. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I got both images and audio, but they were intermittent. When they did both work, they were out of sync. Several times, the question and answer were playing simultaneously, resulting in the audios talking over each other. I stuck with it through the whole thing and never did get a complete question and answer. 

Kind of like the sound testing scene in "Singing in the Rain" 

• Haha 3

Maybe Drs. Ament and Richards will be able to supply a brief summary of the questions and answers. I know they already have a lot of work to do, but it cannot hurt to ask. I just sent Dr. Ament a message via Canvas.

• Thanks 2