BunnyWhit

Animated Musical Favorites

36 posts in this topic

I have favorite songs from animated musicals that are probably not super well-known, like Thumbelina and An American Tail.

Great topic!

My faves are:

Hunchback of Notre Dame - "Out There", "Bells of Notre Dame". Some has already posted about this one, agree completely, love Stephen Schwartz!

Prince of Egypt - the music on this soundtrack is amazing! It reminds me of Fiddler on the Roof. Prince of Egypt also has great vocal talent singing the songs. "Through Heaven's Eyes" is my favorite! Stephen Schwartz again! I think I sense a pattern. (smile)

Grew up loving Jungle Book and Aristocats, jazzy and cool! 

New favorites include:

"How Far I'll Go" and   "We know the Way" - Moana

"A Whole New World" - Aladdin

"I'll Make a Man out of You" - Mulan

"Go the Distance" - Hercules

Not Disney, but also the songs from Rankin/Bass Christmas specials - "Put One Foot in Front of Another" and "Heat Miser/Cold Miser" song.

I think I will stop now. Love this topic!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jawz63 said:

I loved most of the earlier Disney musicals Snow White, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty...and the later ones Beauty and The Beast and The Lion King. It’s amazing what great stage plays those two films made. 

Tarzan and Little Mermaid, however.....not so much.  :D  

(Aladdin's doing fairly well, but only because they used the stage musical to resurrect all the abandoned early storyboards from the movie, like Aladdin having a group of street-buddies instead of a monkey.)

Although to be fair, Tarzan was originally imagined as more of a Cirque du Soleil-style acrobatic show in a round theater, and didn't translate well to NY stages.  Which left only the "Why did they make this??" complaints with most of the audience and critics.  Apparently it's done a little better in overseas theaters, where they have more room to do their original staging ideas.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:44 PM, EricJ said:

Tarzan and Little Mermaid, however.....not so much.  :D  

(Aladdin's doing fairly well, but only because they used the stage musical to resurrect all the abandoned early storyboards from the movie, like Aladdin having a group of street-buddies instead of a monkey.)

Although to be fair, Tarzan was originally imagined as more of a Cirque du Soleil-style acrobatic show in a round theater, and didn't translate well to NY stages.  Which left only the "Why did they make this??" complaints with most of the audience and critics.  Apparently it's done a little better in overseas theaters, where they have more room to do their original staging ideas.

I saw Aladdin in Chicago and thought it was well staged.

On 6/26/2018 at 6:12 PM, KarenLucille said:

I have favorite songs from animated musicals that are probably not super well-known, like Thumbelina and An American Tail.

An American Tail is brilliant and this song makes me weepy every single time. 

Music was an essential component of all the classic Warner Brothers cartoons. Several of them were mini-musicals in parody form. Charlie's Girl mentioned one, the send-up of Wagnerian opera, "What's Opera, Doc." Another Operatic send-up, "The Rabbit of Seville," poked fun at the Italian Opera of Rossini, "The Barber of Seville." So much of my early education in classical music and opera came from these cartoons, that when I hear the music (almost fifty years later) I still think of Bugs and the gang.