Charlie's Girl

Despite Audrey Hepburn

15 posts in this topic

I much prefer the old black-and-white, non-musical version of Pygmalion with Leslie Howard and (introducing) Wendy Hiller.  Of course, it would not fit into this course but I've seen My Fair Lady so many times and I've yet to develop an appreication for Rex Harrison.  I love, love Leslie Howard and I'm a sucker for those really old movies, so I think I will go back and watch the 1938 film instead and leave the commentary on My Fair Lady to others.  

• Like 4

Pygmalion is a wonderful movie.  Leslie Howard and Wendy Hiller are perfect.  It is a proud member of my film library.  

• Like 3

Another Leslie Howard flim, The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my favourite movies of all time.  I also love Berkeley Square, which I saw for the first time on TCM.  

• Like 4

I am not that familiar with Leslie, besides Pygmalion and Gone With the Wind...however I am planning to watch the TCM documentary on him sometime soon.  It is on the DVR.  I do know that he left us too soon.  

• Like 2

Oh!  Do watch The Scarlet Pimpernel.  He is perfection.  I am always surprised, for some reason, how subtle and nuanced his acting was, especially at a time -- 1934 -- when many actors tended to over act, probably the legacy of the silent film era when gestures and facial expression were of necessity exaggerated.  Watch Leslie Howard's face, mannerisms, and voice in The Scarlet Pimpernel.  He switches between the foppish Percy and the titular character with ease and grace.  He's just marvelous.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just put the movie in my DVD queue on Netflix.  I will be watching it as soon as it arrives.  Thank you!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie's Girl said:

I much prefer the old black-and-white, non-musical version of Pygmalion with Leslie Howard and (introducing) Wendy Hiller.  Of course, it would not fit into this course but I've seen My Fair Lady so many times and I've yet to develop an appreication for Rex Harrison.  I love, love Leslie Howard and I'm a sucker for those really old movies, so I think I will go back and watch the 1938 film instead and leave the commentary on My Fair Lady to others.  

I am watching my fair lady for class. I thought the sexism in Pygmalion was bad but it’s even worse in song, lol. Ahh but Audrey Hepburn makes everything ok.  Oh how I wish Shaw’s wish had come true and she was swept away by Harry.  I loved Pygmalion for the more dramatic turn but do so enjoy my fair lady. As far as the problems I noted I remember the direction, put yourself in the period it was filmed.  

• Like 1

I love the Leslie Howard PYGMALION, and it was the main source for MY FAIR LADY rather than the original play.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Charlie's Girl said:

Oh!  Do watch The Scarlet Pimpernel.  He is perfection.  I am always surprised, for some reason, how subtle and nuanced his acting was, especially at a time -- 1934 -- when many actors tended to over act, probably the legacy of the silent film era when gestures and facial expression were of necessity exaggerated.  Watch Leslie Howard's face, mannerisms, and voice in The Scarlet Pimpernel.  He switches between the foppish Percy and the titular character with ease and grace.  He's just marvelous.  

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL was the first Leslie Howard film I ever saw. He was marvelous! Then, I started to backtrack his films, and I was surprised at how comfortable and adept he had become with film acting in just a few years. If I had seen OUTWARD BOUND first, for example, I don't know if I would have even given him a second thought. To be fair, though, I thought the entire cast of that film was kind of beyond wooden, even Douglas Fairbanks, Jr, who was so natural in LITTLE CAESAR from that same year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charlie's Girl said:

If you want to see Rex Harrison at his best, give UNFAITHFULLY YOURS a watch. This is casting at it's best!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

If you want to see Rex Harrison at his best, give UNFAITHFULLY YOURS a watch. This is casting at it's best!

Will see if I can find it.  Cheers!

6 hours ago, sagebrush said:

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL was the first Leslie Howard film I ever saw. He was marvelous! Then, I started to backtrack his films, and I was surprised at how comfortable and adept he had become with film acting in just a few years. If I had seen OUTWARD BOUND first, for example, I don't know if I would have even given him a second thought. To be fair, though, I thought the entire cast of that film was kind of beyond wooden, even Douglas Fairbanks, Jr, who was so natural in LITTLE CAESAR from that same year.

I have not seen Outward Bound -- I'll have to look for it.  I quite liked Leslie Howard in Never the Twain Shall Meet from 1931.  I thought he was very "comfortable and adept" (great description!).  It's Romeo and Juliet that makes me cringe and that one was made in 1936.    

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2018 at 8:15 PM, Charlie's Girl said:

Me too...(I hate Rex Harrison.). Wendy Hiller is so fabulous in this version and Leslie Howard so much more believable.

No offense, Audrey - I still love you !

• Like 1