Chris Wozniak

The NEXT Mad About Musicals

19 posts in this topic

This class has been fantastic!  I have enjoyed every minute of the discussions, film clips, podcasts...you name it.  I cannot wait for Mad About Musicals II.  So much more to cover....The Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals - South Pacific, Oklahoma, Carousel, etc.  We hardly touched on the Fox Blondes - Alice Faye, Betty Grable, some Marilyn Monroe.  The Sound of Music.  There is so much more to cover.  Please keep it going!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

I totally agree there needs to be a part 2! We have only touched the surface with the musicals.  I did contact Professor Ahmet to please consider another course.  All the information we received was fantastic. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ashabar said:

I totally agree there needs to be a part 2! We have only touched the surface with the musicals.  I did contact Professor Ahmet to please consider another course.  All the information we received was fantastic. 

I would like a second course to go more in depth with some of the topics we covered. The Pre Code era,Ww2, etc

• Like 2

Sign Me Up!  I'd love to see another course on Musicals! I can't get enough. Definitely need Rogers and Hammerstein! 

• Like 3

And I would love to devote a month long class to each of the movie musical eras.   The 1920’s-30’s; the 1940’s; the 1950’s; the 1960’s; the 1970’s and beyond.  I have enjoyed this class so much.  

• Like 3

You could start with the 70s and go to modern day. Musicals part 2.  The disco years, the animated 90s ....

11 hours ago, Miriam A said:

And I would love to devote a month long class to each of the movie musical eras.   The 1920’s-30’s; the 1940’s; the 1950’s; the 1960’s; the 1970’s and beyond.  I have enjoyed this class so much.  

We only scratched the surface! Honestly any decade, including this one/the 00s, needs at least a month devoted to it. Theres just so much that can be covered in real depth and insight!

• Like 2

On 6/27/2018 at 7:04 PM, Chris Wozniak said:

This class has been fantastic!  I have enjoyed every minute of the discussions, film clips, podcasts...you name it.  I cannot wait for Mad About Musicals II.  So much more to cover....The Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals - South Pacific, Oklahoma, Carousel, etc.  We hardly touched on the Fox Blondes - Alice Faye, Betty Grable, some Marilyn Monroe.  The Sound of Music.  There is so much more to cover.  Please keep it going!

Musical biopics, Sondheim musicals, Rogers and Hart musicals, Bing Crosby, Disney live action musicals,...the possibilities are endless and endlessly entertaining.

• Like 1

I totally agree with what has been said.  I had so much fun with this one, I'm really sorry I missed the other classes (comedy, Hitchcock, Noir etc)  I can't wait to do another one.

• Like 1

I so completely agree about a part two for this course!  It has been such a learning experience.  This course has been a joy!

Yes Yes Yes, please give us more!!! It was so much fun - how many times do you hear a student say that?! Biggest compliment EVER to a teacher. So thank you for gifting us with such wonderful information, insight, music, dancing and the excuse, "Sorry, I can't do that. I have to watch my musicals!!!"

• Haha 1

I completely agree that the course has been excellent and I would love to participate in others. One of the best things to come out of this for me has been a new appreciation for Musicals and for particular films I did not understand or did not appreciate.  As pure entertainment many are excellent but the insights and observations and connections made by this course made many of these films are more interesting to me than they were before.  Also more than any other type of film I have learned to appreciate the major roll that those talented people "behind the scenes" had in making the musicals memorable and successful. 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, Miriam A said:

I thought this way would have been cool also. I so hate for the class to end! There is still so much to cover.

I’m in agreement with all of the above. Please bring us more! I participated in the film noir course which I also thoroughly enjoyed and learned so much from. I missed the Hitchcock course- can’t remember why but I think we were traveling- and would love to participate in that if ever offered again.

I’m repeating what has already been said but thank you to all of the professors,TCM, and Ball State for providing such a terrific and free online course! ??

Broadway vs. Hollywood...the analysis of Barbra Streisand singing PEOPLE, how she did it on Broadway compared to how she did it in the movie...both were fantastic, but each gives a different feeling.  Would love to see more comparisons between Broadway and Hollywood MUSICALS, ie: Showboat, comparisons between Broadway and Hollywood PERFORMANCES, ie: Ethel Merman vs. Betty Hutton in Annie Get Your Gun or Marilyn Monroe vs. Carol Channing in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and comparisons between Broadway and Hollywood SONGS, ie: People. So much interesting info to discover.