Suzy-Q

Non Musical Films With Music as Key Element

32 posts in this topic

Down with Love!  Such a wonderful overlooked musical film.  Thank you for reminding me of it.  I now realize why La La Land felt familiar...It borrowed many elements of Down with Love.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy films were what came into mind when using rock music in a Cassette mix Peter Quill's mother gave to him when he was young. It plays a big role like it represents his mother when he was taken away from Earth to Space where he's a bounty hunter raised by Yondu and he would play the songs that fit into whatever mood he's going through or an action scene and then teaming up with Gamora, Drax, Groot, and Rocket Racoon to form the Guardians.

The opening scene usually has a dance number like Quill going to find an orb through a dark planet cave that seems gloomy yet decides to dance through it while the opening credits play. Then in the sequel, Groot plays a song from Quill's cassette that makes him dance while the bounty hunter battle against a monster plays like contrasting the action to up the interests.

Sometimes other characters would play Quill's cassette like in Vol. 2 when Rocket plays the song "Southern Nights" by Glenn Campbell and hums to it while fixing up the ship, but then Yondu's gang tries to ambush him. So he sets up booby traps and the song transitions from a cassette sounding low quality to a regular 5.1 Surround Sound when the action kicks into full gear.

• Like 1

I might be misunderstanding this topic, but I'll venture with:

Footloose

Dirty Dancing

Rio Grande (all of the Sons of the Pioneers-esque singing/serenading drives romance between Wayne and O'Hara)

3 Godfathers

Glory (the film score transitions in and out of being underscoring and source music--the drumming, etc.)

Almost Famous

What about all those fun 80s dance movies - Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Flashdance, Footloose....

I'm not a purist, but if none of the actors are singing, I think it's stretching the definition.  There are movies with memorable soundtracks sufficient to produce a best selling album (Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing, Flashdance) and dancing is the emphasis, but no one is breaking into song.  Then there are movies with memorable soundtracks but no dancing (I don't count boxing, balletic as it may be), like Rocky, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Man who Fell to Earth, but they lack singing and dancing.