Ashabar

Suggestion for next TCM course. Classic horror movies!

27 posts in this topic

I love the classic horror movies! Just wondering if other people would love a course in this subject.  Vincent Price,Peter Cushing,Boris Karloff and so on.   Frankenstein,Nosferatu,Dracula, The Pit and the pendulum etc!  This is my favorite genre next to movie musicals.  

• Like 7

A course on the history of horror films would be awesome.  They could start with silent films like Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and The Phantom of the Opera, and go on from there.  That would be awesome!y  Maybe they'll  consider it if enough people are interested.  

• Like 2

This would be a great idea for a course, especially if it was done in October! A Halloween finale would be perfect. The primary focus should be on the development of the genre, from the silent era through the Universal cycle. It would naturally include science fiction, as this has always been a sub-genre within horror (though it breaks out on its own in the fifties). Early horror was always divided between stories of "supernatural" evil (such as "Dracula") and the "natural" taken to the extreme by the mad scientist (such as "Frankenstein"). In the Universal horrors of the forties, these two sub-genres were mixed in ensemble entries (such as "Frankenstein meets the Wolfman" and "House of Dracula"). Then, in the late forties, the parodies. A rich topic ripe for study!   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Janeko said:

A course on the history of horror films would be awesome.  They could start with silent films like Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and The Phantom of the Opera, and go on from there.  That would be awesome!y  Maybe they'll  consider it if enough people are interested.  

Yes!  And several of Georges Melies' films could easily be classified as "horror"; so the genre goes back to the very beginning of cinema.  And the Edison studio released a version of Frankenstein in 1910 (a restored version of which you can rent on Amazon).  And, yes, all of the most excellent German Expressionist films.  Including Metropolis (1927), which illustrates the link between horror and science fiction (not to mention the link between these Expressionist roots and Film Noir via Fritz Lang).  So, yes Dr. Edwards, let's do this thing!

• Like 3

On 6/28/2018 at 4:53 PM, Janeko said:

Absolutely!! Nosferatu, Vampyr, Cabinet of Caligari, the awesome Phantom(1925,1927,1929), Universal horror!

Such as, did you know that during the filming of Dracula an internation Spanish speaking  cast would use the set at night to enact their version of Dracula? If you’ve not seen the Spanish version its a treat! It is, in fact, as good or better than the Bela Legosi version although I do love all things Tod Browning! The Spanish cast got to see the American dailies before they would do that nights sequence. Carlos Villar (Conde Dracula) was terrific. If you buytheyrestored version of Dracula it comes with the Spanish version!

I cant sayenough about the 1925 Phantom. Its just breath-taking! Love their use oftinting scenes for effect. The Kino edition in dvd is terrific. The new blu-ray is very good as well. Theold silent horror and mysteries are amazing. Esp. love the old serials like Les Vampires or Judex.

Early serials might bea good topic as well! Flash Gordon!

• Like 3

In October, yes. I am not a fan of horror movies but I am willing to learn more about them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie's Girl said:

SciFi would be fun.  I don't think I would participate in horror unless it were confined to very old films. 

1 hour ago, LKitten16 said:

Pre-code or silent!  Or horror could be fun, until we get to the bloody stuff lol

With the horror genre going so far back into the silent era and considering that TCM would be screening the films, the course would probably go no further than the mid 1970s (just as this Musicals course has done).  So really gross, graphic violence would not have to be an issue.

And I agree with those who have suggested that October would be the ideal time for such a course to be presented.  With a Halloween finale.  Oh, boy!

• Like 2

No horror for me. We have enough in real life. Sci-Fi-fi might be interesting and so would westerns.

Oh!  And you know what?  If this was like a five or six week course (which it easily could be), then one whole week could be devoted to horror spoofs.  And Wes Gehring could really get involved in that.  That would be WAY cool!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, phillyfilmbuff said:

Absolutely!! Nosferatu, Vampyr, Cabinet of Caligari, the awesome Phantom(1925,1927,1929), Universal horror!

Such as, did you know that during the filming of Dracula an internation Spanish speaking  cast would use the set at night to enact their version of Dracula? 

Early serials might be a good topic as well! Flash Gordon!

Vampyr was awesome! The ending really creeped me out.

They used to show the Spanish version of Dracula on TV once in a while but I haven't seen it in years. I'm pretty sure TCM has played it.

Serials would be cool! I suggested that on the survey and on a previous survey. Adventures of Captain Marvel starring Tom Tyler is my favorite.

Edited by mandog917
  • Like 1

What were the previous classes?  I'm seeing Film Noir, slapstick, Hitchcock, but others?   I thought I heard this was the fifth class they'd done,  or was it the seventh?  Can't remember.  

I would watch sci-fi, but not a fan of pure horror.   Sci-fi isn't just about fighting in space.  it's also about exploration, and humans interacting with technology.   Think of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still,  The Day After Tomorrow, On the Beach,  The Time Machine, WarGames, Fantastic Voyage, 1984, Fahrenheit 451 The Fly and so forth.   Apocalyptic societies,  dystopias, survival in other environments are part of sci-fi.

Also where would you put the blockbuster disaster films?  Poseidon Adventure, Airport, Towering Inferno, or films about volcanoes and tornados and earthquakes, oh my.

A Horror course would be great! Lots of movie history there. A while back I saw the 1910 version of Frankenstein on YouTube. I'd love to learn more about the early days of horror.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pastiche said:

What were the previous classes?  I'm seeing Film Noir, slapstick, Hitchcock, but others?   I thought I heard this was the fifth class they'd done,  or was it the seventh?  Can't remember.  

I believe this is the fourth: Noir, followed by comedy, then Hitchcock, now musicals.

There seem to be 3 genres that are the most likely subjects of future classes: Horror, Science Fiction, and Western. TCM did a massive Western marathon lasting several days in the past year or two, which makes me think Westerns are the least likely of the three. However, it's a more widely-liked genre, as there are many who absolutely detest Horror and Science Fiction. Horror would be fun, but I'm thinking Science Fiction is perhaps more likely, if for no other reason than that TCM has recently published a book on Science Fiction.

3773314.jpg

In any case, there likely won't be any announcement until early next year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Charlie's Girl said:

SciFi would be fun.  I don't think I would participate in horror unless it were confined to very old films. 

I'm not a fan of the modern slasher films or gore and mutilation for the sake of gore and mutilation, so I say we stop at 1980. In the 70s-   Rosemary's Baby, The Wicker Man, Carrie, The Exorcist,  The Shining (well, shining is 1980...)  I consider them classics.  And if we threw in Europe and Japan, too- wow, what a course that would be! 

• Like 3

Horror would be a natural for October as TCM always shows a slew of horror movies every October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mariaki said:

Rosemary's Baby, The Wicker Man, Carrie, The Exorcist,  The Shining (well, shining is 1980...)  I consider them classics. 

Yes!

• Like 1