Sign in to follow this  
DeannaDares

Cabaret – fantastic lecture video!

5 posts in this topic

Now I can't wait to see this film again, keeping all of these themes in mind. It actually makes me feel hopeful that a) history repeats itself and this too shall pass and b) art remains one vital way to express ourselves in an oppressive political/social/or cultural climate. And Liza Minnelli is just sublime in this, among its many other sublime actors!

• Like 3

Beautifully said. Your words remind me of this little piece: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/11/10/sing-street-and-fighting-bullies-with-art . Another thing about Cabaret is it shows how evil can seep in to a culture in the guise of beauty. The first time I saw it, I was blown away by how the staging of "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" takes the naïve viewer on the same journey that an observer in Weimar Germany must have experienced. Chilling.

• Like 1

...and now I'm thinking of this brilliant Albert Brooks moment from Broadcast News:

Aaron Altman: I know you care about him. I've never seen you like this about anyone, so please don't get me wrong when I tell you that Tom, while being a very nice guy, is the Devil. 

Jane Craig: This isn't friendship. You're crazy, you know that? 

Aaron Altman: What do you think the Devil is going to look like if he's around? 

Jane Craig: God! 

Aaron Altman: Come on! Nobody is going to be taken in by a guy with a long, red, pointy tail! What's he gonna sound like?[hisses] He will be attractive! He'll be nice and helpful. He'll get a job where he influences a great God-fearing nation. He'll never do an evil thing! He'll never deliberately hurt a living thing... he will just bit by little bit lower our standards where they are important. Just a tiny little bit. Just coax along flash over substance. Just a tiny little bit. And he'll talk about all of us really being salesmen. And he'll get all the great women.

• Like 3

I saw Cabaret again last night. I think I've seen it three times now, twice in the theater and once on DVD. It's a movie that really does stand the test of time.

But what really struck me on this most recent viewing was how much the characters of Sally Bowles and Brian Roberts reminded me of Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. The way they meet in each movie is a scene that can be exchanged between the two films! And then everything changes from there, of course. At least in the film. In the book by Truman Capote, Holly Golightly is even more like Sally Bowles.