Sign in to follow this  
MassMikMouse

6 posts in this topic

I had not realized it until recently, but I have absolutely adored musicals since I was very little. When 1776 would come on very late at night, mom and wake us up and let us watch it. Living in the Massachusetts Bay colony, this movie taught my brothers and I about the declaration of independence, and the issues it faced. (And it was quite timely with the bicentennial being in 1976...) And I especially loved that a Man from Massachusetts was portrayed as the chief instigator. William Daniels plays this role perfectly!

As a slight aside, I have a good friend who has named his little boy John Adams. Every update about this little one is accompanied with a #sitdownjohn hashtag! And, believe me, John Adams knows who he is named for!

• Like 4

And, by the way, the few scenes in the show “Frankie and Grace” theater have Martin Sheen playing John Adams in the stage version of 1776 are marvelous! 

• Like 2

This is one of my favorite films of any genre.  I, too, watch it every July 4th.  The first time I saw it was with the Starlight Musicals summer touring company. Great on stage and on film.  

I saw this film when it came out, and thought it was okay.  But now the more I see it the more I like it. 

Who'd have thought men cooped up talking for most of a movie, occasionally taking time out to dance a minuet, could be such a good musical.  The script, and especially Adams and Franklin, are superb.   The songs are mostly good.  Sit Down, John, You're Rockin' the Boat....

Our community theatre actually did the stage show IN 1976.  20 years later they tried it again and couldn't get enough men, so they filled in with women in drag.  They're trying it again this year, and I bet they end up doing the same thing.

I love 1776.  Being a history major I've subjected my children to this movie every 4th of July for years.  Of course the songs between John and Abigail are from their letters.  Abigail said they spent more years of their marriage apart because of his service to his country then together.  Some even consider Abigail a greater intellect than John.  I also like any play (or movie) that can get that many different people into a room together and interact.  I suspect Congress hasn't really changed much.  It breaks my heart when Franklin explains they can't abolish slavery in the Declaration.  He was so practical.  Adams was so idealistic and hard on himself.  I love music and this course has been very fun. 

• Like 3