Sign in to follow this  
BlueMoods

Little "inside jokes" in movies

5 posts in this topic

In Gypsy, after Jack Benny finishes his act, Mama Rose says "He'll never get anywhere in show business."

What other jokes in Gypsy or other movies can you think of?

• Like 1

About all the Crosby-Hope "Road" shows have lots of inside jokes. For non-musical movies, one of my favorite inside jokes is the 1947 Bob Hope movie "My Favorite Brunette," which pairs Hope again with Dorothy Lamour. Hope's character is sentenced for execution but at last minute, close to end of movie, he's exonerated. The authorities have to tell the executioner, Harry, that Hope's execution has been cancelled. The very disappointed Harry is then shown in a cameo appearance by Bing Crosby... whose real name was Harry.

Another non-musical movie that had several inside jokes was in Cary Grant's "His Girl Friday."  In one part he's giving someone a description of Ralph Bellamy's character in the movie, saying that Ralph Bellamy's character looks like that actor Ralph Bellamy. In another part of the movie, he calls the convict (hiding in roll top desk) a mock turtle. Grant played the part of the Mock Turtle in the 1933 version of Alice in Wonderland. And, funniest of all, about 7 minutes before end of the movie, as the authorities are threatening Grant and Rosalind Russell with 10 years each in prison for aiding an escaped convict, and tell Grant he's through, Grant says "the last man that said that to me was Archie Leach, just a week before he cut his--" [other dialogue cuts him off] Of course, Cary Grant's real name was Archie Leach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Rochelle W said:

In one part he's giving someone a description of Ralph Bellamy's character in the movie, saying that Ralph Bellamy's character looks like that actor Ralph Bellamy. 

I mentioned this previously in another thread early in the course, but one of my favorite episodes of Happy Days is when they go to see the Music Man and Marian Cunningham remarks that the boy who plays Winthrop looks just like Richie did at that age.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Call-outs to the real actor’s persona are always funny.  Just one example : In His Girl Friday Cary Grant has this line, “Listen, the last man that said that to me was Archie Leach, just a week before he cut his throat.”

• Like 2