Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

Rambo

10 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=Gutsman wrote:}{quote}

> I havent seen any Rambo movies. Are they worth seeing? Or should I just read the book?

 

They're worth seeing I guess if you like 80's action movies (well at least the first 3 were done in the 80's). Or if you're a huge Sylvester Stallone fan ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Gutsman wrote:}{quote}

> I havent seen any Rambo movies. Are they worth seeing? Or should I just read the book?

 

The movies are ok, but they get progressively worse. The first one is the best, although Sly's dialogue is at times very difficult to understand. I haven't seen Rambo, 2008, however.

 

The book is worth a read and allows the reader more of an understanding of what makes the character of John Rambo (and possibly other Vietnam vets) tick, both before and after the action starts.

 

The book also maintains more of a feeling of reality to it, as though it could happen. This is most definitely not the case with the movie, in which, to give one example, all credibility goes out the window when Sly jumps off a mountain and sustains only minor injuries! (Admittedly, it's a thrilling sequence.)

 

There is also a sequence which takes place in a cave of bats which is actually much better handled in the book than in the movie. The book's ending is quite a bit different from the film's, too, indicating that senseless tragedy is not limited to war. I would recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=nightwalker wrote:}{quote}

>

> The movies are ok, but they get progressively worse. The first one is the best, although Sly's dialogue is at times very difficult to understand. I haven't seen Rambo, 2008, however.

>

 

Personally I think they actually get better (at least up to the 3rd one) in terms of yahoo-minded escapism. *Rambo III* actually was the most expensive movie ever made when it was released in the late 80's, IIRC.

 

What is most interesting about the *Rambo* movies, imho, is trying to guess what about them made them so appealing to a large segment of the moviegoing public. Oh, and also keeping an eye on Stallone's knifes, which apparently got bigger with each new movie. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> Personally I think they actually get better (at least up to the 3rd one) in terms of yahoo-minded escapism.

 

You might be right about that, at least concerning the second one.

 

> What is most interesting about the *Rambo* movies, imho, is trying to guess what about them made them so appealing to a large segment of the moviegoing public.

 

Once in a while, a movie like that makes for an enjoyable change-of-pace for me, but by no means would I care to subsist on a regular diet of them. So I can sort of understand their appeal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=nightwalker wrote:}{quote}

> Once in a while, a movie like that makes for an enjoyable change-of-pace for me, but by no means would I care to subsist on a regular diet of them. So I can sort of understand their appeal.

 

Well, I think that with the 2nd and 3rd movies, there's a lot of wish-fulfillment geopolitical fantasy, you know, in terms of what Rambo can do single-handedly and that it appealed to a lot of people because of the bad experiences in Vietnam, etc. Of course, there are also all the regular action elements that help explain the success of the movies outside the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree. I think there's often a high degree of frustration involved in dealing through so-called diplomatic channels with rogue states who only seem to be interested in using such methods when it suits them. I believe that various terrorist-led hostage situations, from Iran on down, would be examples of this, and films such as the Rambo series seem to have struck a chord with many who would chafe under the "necessity" of bargaining with thugs for the lives of their fellow Americans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fav. one was Rambo First Blood. The other 2 are okay, but not as cool, and the 4th one was Eh. He is just older and it is the same. But i def. recommend the first one!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us