NewsiesJerseyGirl

Correction About Final Podcast (Sweet Charity)

8 posts in this topic

I was just listening to the last podcast for this course and I had to stop when I heard that Chita Rivera was NOT in the film version of Sweet Charity.
Excuse me, but Chita Rivera IS in the film as Nickie, she was NOT part of the original Broadway cast where the role of Nickie was originated by Helen Gallagher.
I just thought you should know that.
I must say I thought myself crazy for half a second. But, Sweet Charity is the only reason I really know who Chita Rivera is.

Did anyone else catch this?

• Thanks 1

Thanks! That didn’t sound right. Thanks for confirming. Were they confusing Sweet Charity with West Side Story?

1 hour ago, MarkH said:

Thanks! That didn’t sound right. Thanks for confirming. Were they confusing Sweet Charity with West Side Story?

Surely that’s what was meant. I’ve always loved Chita Rivera. One interesting tid bit — she was Velma Kelly in Chicago in 1975 on the stage, and she was Nicky in 2002 in the film version of Chicago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkH said:

That, or they were confusing Broadway with the touring company.  Chita Rivera played the title role in the Sweet Charity touring company.

I'm glad this was helpful to someone!
Even if they were thinking of the touring production of Sweet Charity (also if Chita played to title role on tour she'd be Charity and not Nickie), the fact that this is a course about musical films and they got that wrong is the problem to me (and it wasn't corrected). It seems weird to me that if you ever watched the film or saw ads for it, especially close to doing this course that you could forget that Chita Rivera is in it when she's such a great dancer.
Everyone makes mistakes, we all do. But,what is worrying is, what else may be inaccurate?
This is a pretty big boo-boo to me. I've noticed some other things that are off as well. And those are the things I actually know something about. What about the things that are new to me/us?
What if this had to do with a question on a quiz? If they corrected themselves there,but we heard/read different from them, then we would get it wrong just following what we learned from them.

I give credit and thanks to all the people who made this course/ experience available to us. But, still.
I have not said anything before now because I haven't really had the time to write posts (which I feel horrible about) or read them. But, this just got my goat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BunnyWhit said:

Surely that’s what was meant. I’ve always loved Chita Rivera. One interesting tid bit — she was Velma Kelly in Chicago in 1975 on the stage, and she was Nicky in 2002 in the film version of Chicago.

I loved and LOVE Chicago!

• Like 1

In the podcast it was also said that "New York, New York" was directed by Coppola; however it is Scorsese.  

• Like 3

They must have been getting tired by the end of recording the course material.

• Like 1