BunnyWhit

What Did You Give Up To Watch Tons of Musicals?

40 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, crysalong said:

I’m not sure I gave up anything, and I didn’t watch all the films; but I gained a new online community full of friendly people with beautiful insights and a unified spirit of collaboration. It’s been a great month! I’m sorry to arrive at the end of the course. Have a great summer, everyone! 

Agreed! Hope to still visit the message boards and see what this great group is chatting about! I have loved this experience! You have a great summer too!

13 hours ago, crysalong said:

I’m not sure I gave up anything, and I didn’t watch all the films; but I gained a new online community full of friendly people with beautiful insights and a unified spirit of collaboration. It’s been a great month! I’m sorry to arrive at the end of the course. Have a great summer, everyone! 

My feelings exactly.  It has been a wonderful experience which I will never forget.  The online community has been the best!  Thank you to everyone!

13 hours ago, Amy W said:

Sadly I’m an Orioles fan, so I gave up watching extra inning losses to EVERYONE

I’m a Royals fan so I feel your pain. 

Mostly, I’ve put off watching things on Netflix.

Instead of reading my news and political sites with my breakfast, I’ve been doing the course modules; my mental health has probably improved for it.

• Like 2

I am a History fanatic and at any time can be caught reading various books on WWII, The American Revolution, Alexander Hamilton (a favorite BEFORE  the musical), etc. as well as historical biographies and autobiographies. I found I had to give up reading for the month to have the time to watch many of the musicals either live or on DVR.

As Leslie Howard is a particular favorite I did not give up watching his many films as he was June's Star of the Month. So I have some catching up to do with my musicals watching. Funny though, as space is limited on my DVR I find myself keeping more of the older musicals from the 20s-40s and ofc some classic 50s musicals but fewer musicals from the 60s and beyond (1776 ofc excepted). Going into the course I thought it would be the opposite.  I imagine I am more a traditionalist who prefers, "feel good" entertainment than previously I thought. So I learned much regarding musicals and myself in this course.

Ok- am I the only long suffering Pirate fan to give up watching their games? Ha- definitely worth it however!

11 minutes ago, Bucsnan said:

Ok- am I the only long suffering Pirate fan to give up watching their games? Ha- definitely worth it however!

Ha! Doesn’t being a Pirates fan make you glad you’re not a Reds fan?

I guess so-this year anyway! Subject to change at any time ! Going with the baseball theme & having nothing to do with musicals, there’s a cute movie about the Pirates done in 1951 called “Angels in the Outfield”-or maybe it’s a movie only a Bucs fan could love. Parts of the movie were filmed at the old Forbes Field.

Yes, the film with Paul Douglas. You’re right, it is cute. They did a remake (of course) in the mid-90’s and moved it to be about the Angels, I think. I haven’t seen that one, and likely won’t. I think that one has Danny Glover. 

The thing I love most about real baseball people is that they back their team till the end. No fair weather fans here, I’d say! 

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch as much as I'd like because I'm currently in rehearsal for our community theatre production of Thornton Wilder's "Our Town"  If you're in the neighborhood (Big Bear Lake, CA) come up and see us.  If I wasn't in rehearsal I would've given up watching the Dodger's.  I don't watch much network television so I've usually got TCM on when there's no games.  Love, love, love classic movies! 

OurTown_poster_11x17-668x1024.jpg

• Like 1

I gave up the anger and discord of today’s world for the happier, hopeful world of the musical.  Thanks for the respite.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BunnyWhit said:

Yes, the film with Paul Douglas. You’re right, it is cute. They did a remake (of course) in the mid-90’s and moved it to be about the Angels, I think. I haven’t seen that one, and likely won’t. I think that one has Danny Glover. 

The thing I love most about real baseball people is that they back their team till the end. No fair weather fans here, I’d say! 

You bet! I’m a 3rd generation Pirates fan and my (adult) children have followed in my footsteps as have my 2 & 6 year old granddaughters.- the older one sang “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” when she was 3 & the younger is singing “Singing In The Rain” while pounding on her toy piano. I knew there was a tie in somewhere! How about a musical about baseball? Oh, they already did that! Lol

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 10:48 AM, MotherofZeus said:

I'm chemical-free, so I don't use chemicals. It's all hand picking and natural remedies that take longer to catch up on, but it's worth it. 

Me, too. Luckily-- especially this June-- I've enough experience to anticipate problems and be proactive. First tomato horn worm egg sighting... out comes the Dipel. 

On 6/30/2018 at 12:29 AM, Maria J. Hanley said:

I gave up depression disorder every Tuesday and Thursday.  I gave up low self-esteem when I completed each module and passed the tests.  I gave up loneliness and isolation every time I participated in discussions, like now.  This course has been the best thing in the world for me.  I hope they offer another one.

Maria, your heartfelt words truly demonstrate how much can be gained from participating in a class such as the one we have just completed.  I, too, have similar issues and have found movie musicals to be an effective way of combatting my demons.  They take me into a world of fantasy that could almost be believed.  I have taken other on-line classes and have also benefited from the group experience while at the same time keeping my privacy.  May you experience many hours, days, months and years of wholeness, completeness and happiness. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 2:46 AM, BunnyWhit said:

A lot of people feel that way about the American League. I decided long ago not to fight it. But the Astros deserved a win. And they’re hot, hot hot again this season. Do I smell a “sequel”? 

Welllll -- my Rays (please, try to control your laughter. They're my hometown team and I'm ride-or-die. See: my devotion to the Buccaneers.) just took the series with the Astros literally 15 minutes ago. It's just one series and probably won't matter in the overall scheme of things, but I enjoy it while I can.

I too gave up baseball. Chores. My writing projects. And sleep. Lots and lots of sleep. But I found community. Great discussion, both here and on Twitter. And what I think is a real passion and interest in film studies. Looking at online programs that will let me continue learning, albeit with grades at stake and not nifty badges.