BunnyWhit

What Did You Give Up To Watch Tons of Musicals?

40 posts in this topic

In the first week of this class, I read in someone’s post that s/he had to miss a couple musicals to watch World Cup Playoffs. Totally understandable and acceptable, in my book.

But I’ve thought about the opposite ever since: what have we turned off this month so we could turn on more musicals?

I watched nearly all the musicals TCM aired, both live and DVR’d. I forfeited baseball games to do this. Baseball! If you knew me, you’d know that’s a big, big deal.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, BunnyWhit said:

In the first week of this class, I read in someone’s post that s/he had to miss a couple musicals to watch World Cup Playoffs. Totally understandable and acceptable, in my book.

But I’ve thought about the opposite ever since: what have we turned off this month so we could turn on more musicals?

I watched nearly all the musicals TCM aired, both live and DVR’d. I forfeited baseball games to do this. Baseball! If you knew me, you’d know that’s a big, big deal.

I missed out on a bunch of baseball! I can't think of much that I would forego baseball for. My one consolation is that I don't have any kind of package or app so I just get to watch the games broadcast on ESPN and MLB Network. And from what I understand I only missed watching a couple of my teams' (Braves, Cubs, Cardinals in that order) games so it's not as dire as it could be. :D

• Like 1

I DO have the MLB package, and when I’m not watching the Rangers, I’m watching lots of others. Cubs, yes. Cards, yes. Braves, not so much. Don’t know why, but they make me angry. I should love them, Hammerin’ Hank and all, but no. But if it’s any consolation to you, I don’t dislike the Braves nearly as much as the Yankees or the Blue Jays. Those guys aren’t even American! 

Given up? Sadly I’m an Orioles fan, so I gave up watching extra inning losses to EVERYONE. So I feel ok! I did get back my TV from my family in the name of “Momma has homework to do.” What story can I come up with for July!?

• Haha 1

I gave up depression disorder every Tuesday and Thursday.  I gave up low self-esteem when I completed each module and passed the tests.  I gave up loneliness and isolation every time I participated in discussions, like now.  This course has been the best thing in the world for me.  I hope they offer another one.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

I’m not sure I gave up anything, and I didn’t watch all the films; but I gained a new online community full of friendly people with beautiful insights and a unified spirit of collaboration. It’s been a great month! I’m sorry to arrive at the end of the course. Have a great summer, everyone! 

• Like 13

YouTube TV has unlimited cloud recording, so live baseball comes first

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BunnyWhit said:

I DO have the MLB package, and when I’m not watching the Rangers, I’m watching lots of others. Cubs, yes. Cards, yes. Braves, not so much. Don’t know why, but they make me angry. I should love them, Hammerin’ Hank and all, but no. But if it’s any consolation to you, I don’t dislike the Braves nearly as much as the Yankees or the Blue Jays. Those guys aren’t even American! 

I really could have liked you...lol. Funny, isn't it, how we have not necessarily rational "hatred" towards certain teams? The last time I liked the Dodgers was when Fernando Valenzuela was pitching. Haven't like them since and I have no idea why. But it was to the point that I cheered for the Astros because I would rather see an AL team (which i "hate" the AL in general) win the World Series than the Dodgers! Ditto on the Yankees, so we are at least on the same page there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maria J. Hanley said:

I gave up depression disorder every Tuesday and Thursday.  I gave up low self-esteem when I completed each module and passed the tests.  I gave up loneliness and isolation every time I participated in discussions, like now.  This course has been the best thing in the world for me.  I hope they offer another one.

{{{Hugs}}}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suzy-Q said:

YouTube TV has unlimited cloud recording, so live baseball comes first

Atta Way!

1 hour ago, BlueMoods said:

I really could have liked you...lol. Funny, isn't it, how we have not necessarily rational "hatred" towards certain teams? The last time I liked the Dodgers was when Fernando Valenzuela was pitching. Haven't like them since and I have no idea why. But it was to the point that I cheered for the Astros because I would rather see an AL team (which i "hate" the AL in general) win the World Series than the Dodgers! Ditto on the Yankees, so we are at least on the same page there. 

I get it. I used to watch the Dodgers quite a little bit, then not so much these last couple of seasons. Turns out — I think I was just watching to hear Vin Scully. 

A lot of people feel that way about the American League. I decided long ago not to fight it. But the Astros deserved a win. And they’re hot, hot hot again this season. Do I smell a “sequel”? 

3 hours ago, Maria J. Hanley said:

I love this response!!! Bravo!

I gave up housecleaning.  I can normally have TCM on while housecleaning, but for a course, I really wanted to focus on visual intake as well as audio.  Don't get me wrong, when it is on in the background, it's because I've honestly seen the movie 15 times (maybe more), and there are some I will sit down for every time.  However, for his course, I was committed to editing, set design, choreography, and cinematography. 

So, my home will be clean in July.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MotherofZeus said:

I gave up housecleaning.  I can normally have TCM on while housecleaning, but for a course, I really wanted to focus on visual intake as well as audio.  Don't get me wrong, when it is on in the background, it's because I've honestly seen the movie 15 times (maybe more), and there are some I will sit down for every time.  However, for his course, I was committed to editing, set design, choreography, and cinematography. 

So, my home will be clean in July.

I do that same thing! I’ll put on an old fave and buzz around cleaning and ironing (yes, I still do that!) and knitting and doing all my chores, all the while reciting lines right along with Cary Grant or Irene Dunne or whomever. It’s a wonderful way to pass the time quickly, like a friend came over to help. 

• Like 2

I gave up time on days I'd normally be hiking.  But, honestly, some of those days were so bloody hot, I was relieved to enjoy some of my favorite old musicals in a nice air conditioned environment.  

I'll have plenty of time to get back on the trails once the weather cools. :D

• Like 3

Like Motherof Zeus, I slacked on housecleaning. But more obviously, I gave up garden time. And it really shows. You should see the weeds in the squash garden! Though with afternoon temps in the mid-90s and heat indexes hovering around 105, it ain't easy being outside in the afternoons.

So... I have stacked up dusting, vacuuming, laundry to fold, ironing to do, patio to tidy up, guest houses to clean, tomatoes to put up (for you youngins that means I have tomatoes to waterbath, stew & freeze), peppers to pickle. Et cetera. And guess what? My in-laws are coming next week. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have La Mancha paused in the guest room where I am soon to be stripping the bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@zea and @Marica I also gave up gardening and swimming (although an avid hiker, swimming is my regular form of exercise).  I don't have the excuse for heat on swimming at my indoor pool.  I managed to do just enough gardening, but I have a lot of dead-heading, fertilizing, weeding, and pruning to do.  I'm chemical-free, so I don't use chemicals. It's all hand picking and natural remedies that take longer to catch up on, but it's worth it. 

I recorded the world cup to watch later and watched nearly all of the Musicals.  I was fascinated to learn how the insights and observations from the course work increased my interest in the movies and particularly the rare and "off beat" ones.  The one problem was loss of sleep on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BunnyWhit said:

I get it. I used to watch the Dodgers quite a little bit, then not so much these last couple of seasons. Turns out — I think I was just watching to hear Vin Scully. 

A lot of people feel that way about the American League. I decided long ago not to fight it. But the Astros deserved a win. And they’re hot, hot hot again this season. Do I smell a “sequel”? 

Only if they're not up against one of my three. Actually the Astros started out in the NL, and my hometown was the home of their AAA minor league team, so they have a place in my heart. The games were so much fun, and then what a thrill seeing the guys who went from there to the Majors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeD31784 said:

Tons of DVR space!

I hear ya, me too! Hoping to still get through some more of the musicals over the next couple weeks.  Glad most of my other DVR'd shows are on hiatus.  

• Haha 1