Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

Rasmussen: 31% of Americans Think Civil War Is Right Around the Corner

18 posts in this topic

Ah, but maybe NOT, against a "paper tiger".  ;)

Sepiatone

• Confused 1

Confused JR?

I consider Trump to be the "paper tiger" as so far, he's proven to be more "bombast" than actual "bomb threat"! 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Confused JR?

I consider Trump to be the "paper tiger" as so far, he's proven to be more "bombast" than actual "bomb threat"! 

Sepiatone

Thanks Sepia that clears up the mystery :)

• Haha 1

73% of Americans are imbeciles and morons. Our literacy rate is embarrassing. 8 out of every 10 Americans believes in angels. 62% believe in aliens.

4% of Americans (13 million people) believe in wealthy, sentient, upright-walking lizard shapeshifter elitists controlling our government.

This is why we don't have a 'direct' democracy in this country. HL Mencken called the turn, over a century ago.

Don't forget the percentage that believes in Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. Thinks we will settle on another planet. :wacko:

...and 42% think it's right down the street. 19% think it's two blocks over.

5% think it's in a Hardee's restroom. 3% took a smoke break.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

73% of Americans are imbeciles and morons. Our literacy rate is embarrassing. 8 out of every 10 Americans believes in angels. 62% believe in aliens.

4% of Americans (13 million people) believe in wealthy, sentient, upright-walking lizard shapeshifter elitists controlling our government.

This is why we don't have a 'direct' democracy in this country. HL Mencken called the turn, over a century ago.

As an atheist I see where you're coming from:  Most people are easy to fool.

• Like 1

I admit it's been riling me up lately. Recently I've had six months of nonstop blather poured in my ears practically every weekend. The neighborhood where I go out to drink is chock full of conspiracy paranoiacs--among them, some of my close buddies. Real "Archie Bunker" types. They get me 'on-the-prod'. And put burs under m' saddle.

Now, I never expected to talk politics on this site but I already see that a few of you guys are calm, temperate, astute, and well-modulated individuals. Just what I needed. I appreciate you letting me cool down in here.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I admit it's been riling me up lately. Recently I've had six months of nonstop blather poured in my ears practically every weekend. The neighborhood where I go out to drink is chock full of conspiracy paranoiacs--among them, some of my close buddies. Real "Archie Bunker" types. They get me 'on-the-prod'. And put burs under m' saddle.

Now, I never expected to talk politics on this site but I already see that a few of you guys are calm, temperate, astute, and well-modulated individuals. Just what I needed. I appreciate you letting me cool down in here.

Ah, just wait.  I might not be one that you consider "calm, temperate, astute, and well-modulated" (although in my opinion I am), we all tend to go off the deep end sometimes.  That is why some take a vacation from the political topics periodically.

I have a real good friend who gets all his information from AM talk radio (100% extreme right wing), Fox News and emails from "friends" on the extreme right.  IMO, I am the only sane voice that he ever hears.  While he agrees with me initially, he tends to regress.  But I am not biased.  No way.  Never.

Anyway, welcome to the fray.  Most of the posters here are as you described, especially compared to other websites.

• Thanks 1

Actually we have already had our civil war.  Also, we did not have one during the Great Depression or when integration was forcibly imposed on the South and other areas.  I do not foresee one now.  We will see political and legal conflicts in the future due to what the Trumpists and Republicans are doing.  Then the Dems and all the people who are being pushed down by the Republicans and the Corporationists will (hopefully) join together in a reasonable manner and take control of state, local and federal governments.

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

Ah, just wait.  I might not be one that you consider "calm, temperate, astute, and well-modulated" (although in my opinion I am), we all tend to go off the deep end sometimes.  That is why some take a vacation from the political topics periodically.

I have a real good friend who gets all his information from AM talk radio (100% extreme right wing), Fox News and emails from "friends" on the extreme right.  IMO, I am the only sane voice that he ever hears.  While he agrees with me initially, he tends to regress.  But I am not biased.  No way.  Never.

Anyway, welcome to the fray.  Most of the posters here are as you described, especially compared to other websites.

Well to me you're one of the calm ones.    Hey,  we don't always agree but don't find you to be over-the-top.   Typically when we have a disconnect it is because we live in very different parts of this fine country.  

• Thanks 1

Spectacular night on TCM tonight. I'm almost in shock at how good it was. I was in my local off-license and for some reason it was flooded with babes, but I had no eye for them. TCM was my honey tonight.

I got to see a Redford movie I have long missed out on and was long wondering about. Holy hannah. I'm a Redford fan but I have never seen anything like, 'The Candidate'. Its colossal. For my money it is the best political movie ever. It is on par with 'Network' or something like that. Redford CLOBBERS his role. It may be his best performance EVER. I wish I could have a drink with him. Or, Michael Ritchie, the director. He whaled. My ears were blown back.

Even more than Redford, Peter Boyle explodes!!!!! Sweet creeping Jeesus! And he's supported by Allen Garfield and a host of others and everyone is ON POINT. But Boyle went OFF.

I FORGOT everyone else in the bar.

and then ...guess what? TCM plays one of my all-time favorite flicks ever...one of the most obscure and reclusive flicks which no one has ever heard of...STRAIGHT TIME. Are you KIDDING me?

DUSTY ROMPS. This is one of the best crime pics ever made. He WHALES. Dustin Hoffman and Harry Dean Stanton? Wielding shotguns? Mayhem galore?

I'm in a DAZE. Best movie night in years

• Like 3

The reason why we won't have a civil war is the country is not geographiclly divided like during the mid 1800's.  If its just angry people - well martial law, the military will take care of that.  The downside...

The ability to suspend habeas corpus is related to the imposition of martial law. Article 1, Section 9 of the US Constitution states, "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."

Think we'll have rights, don't forget what happened after the Boston bombing.

Now who own guns.