MotherofZeus

Movies You Were Too Young to See But Saw

36 posts in this topic

Me and my daughter's mother never restricted much of what the girls watched on the tube.  They WERE 10 and 7 (respectively) by the time cable TV came to our area.  We of course, never took them to see "age inappropriate" movies at the theater.  We were, in our opinion, ready and willing to answer any queries from them that might have arisen.   And surprisingly( to some, especially crusaders) they appeared to be BORED by all the "adult" level visuals in many movies.  One example( I've mentioned in here before)....

We all were watching a cable(HBO I think) presentation of the  1980 movie THE COMPETITION one afternoon, and my older daughter(11 at the time) seemed to be a bit engrossed in it.  At least until the scene came where RICHARD DREYFUS and AMY IRVING were seen rolling around naked on a motel bed.  My daughter then let out a loud "TSK!", threw her hands up in the air and disgustedly said, "It figures.  Every time a story gets going good they gotta waste time with THIS kinda stuff!"   It made me and her Mother laugh, as all those "morals crusaders" seemed to be worrying for nothing!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

When I was a mere youth, the Catholic church used to publish their weekly (or monthly) list of Condemned Films :o.  I can't recall most of them, but for sure I made it a point to somehow wangle my way into a theater and see every blessed (????) one of them.  

I figured if it was bad enough for the church, it was good enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh I find it so annoying to see people bringing their kids to inappropriate movies.  Now here are a few of my stories. :lol:  (But I really do find that to be so very annoying.)

Here is one you likely won't see too often these days.  In the summer of 1982 I would have been 7.  We traveled to visit my grandparents in Louisville, Kentucky.  One afternoon we were in a shopping mall.  I wanted to see Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.  Mom wanted to shop so she took me to the theater and bought me a ticket.  It was the first movie I saw alone.  At 7 that movie was pretty freaky.  Couple that with being a kid without adult supervision and it was a memorable experience to say the least.  After the movie I was just supposed to wait outside the theater for Mom and Grandma to show up.  I don't think you'll see too many parents send a 7 year old to a movie alone and leave them unsupervised in a shopping mall for multiple hours in this day and age.

I grew up in a rural area and we had two TV channels to choose from on a good day; three to four channels a few times a year.  So when I went to Grandma's house and she had cable TV my schedule was filled.  The most prominent example I can remember is Arnold Schwarzenegger's Commando (1985).  It was on HBO and I watched it with my younger brother.  If you are unfamiliar with the film it is ultra-violent.  It is a movie that set a violence tone for the future and has been spoofed repeatedly.  Anyway, my dad caught us watching it and too this day it is still a family story.  Yes we eventually saw the entire movie because the movie repeated and Dad couldn't watch us all of the time.  We didn't tell him until we were much older. B)

And finally here is a tale about a movie that I'm not saying I shouldn't have seen when I was young, but others felt that way.  I went to Catholic School.  There was a movie called A Christmas Story (1983) playing at a movie theater four blocks from the school.  The Nuns who ran the school decided to take all of the children to see it.  We loved it!  The Nuns paced the aisles talking among themselves until the tire changing scene.  That is when the entire school was told to rise and make the trek back to school. :lol:

There are many more, but those are a few prominent examples.  There was a Babysitter at my aunt's house who placed my young brother and I in front of a television with Friday The 13TH Part 2 on so she could make-out with her boyfriend.  I believe others mentioned Babysitters. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zea said:

When I was a mere youth, the Catholic church used to publish their weekly (or monthly) list of Condemned Films :o.  I can't recall most of them, but for sure I made it a point to somehow wangle my way into a theater and see every blessed (????) one of them.  

I figured if it was bad enough for the church, it was good enough for me.

Zea, the Index of Forbidden Books [Index Librorum Prohibitorum] was also a good source for future reading projects!

Used to check that out and also the film list of approved ones to see, or ones which were for adults only, things like "The Pumpkin Eater" [acceptance of divorce was the reason] or things like "Midnight Cowboy" which was just out and out in the Condemned [and not suitable for anyone to see!]. Thanks for a great memory!

6 minutes ago, Looney said:

Oh I find it so annoying to see people bringing their kids to inappropriate movies.  Now here are a few of my stories. :lol:  (But I really do find that to be so very annoying.)

Here is one you likely won't see too often these days.  In the summer of 1982 I would have been 7.  We traveled to visit my grandparents in Louisville, Kentucky.  One afternoon we were in a shopping mall.  I wanted to see Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.  Mom wanted to shop so she took me to the theater and bought me a ticket.  It was the first movie I saw alone.  At 7 that movie was pretty freaky.  Couple that with being a kid without adult supervision and it was a memorable experience to say the least.  After the movie I was just supposed to wait outside the theater for Mom and Grandma to show up.  I don't think you'll see too many parents send a 7 year old to a movie alone and leave them unsupervised in a shopping mall for multiple hours in this day and age.

I grew up in a rural area and we had two TV channels to choose from on a good day; three to four channels a few times a year.  So when I went to Grandma's house and she had cable TV my schedule was filled.  The most prominent example I can remember is Arnold Schwarzenegger's Commando (1985).  It was on HBO and I watched it with my younger brother.  If you are unfamiliar with the film it is ultra-violent.  It is a movie that set a violence tone for the future and has been spoofed repeatedly.  Anyway, my dad caught us watching it and too this day it is still a family story.  Yes we eventually saw the entire movie because the movie repeated and Dad couldn't watch us all of the time.  We didn't tell him until we were much older. B)

And finally here is a tale about a movie that I'm not saying I shouldn't have seen when I was young, but others felt that way.  I went to Catholic School.  There was a movie called A Christmas Story (1983) playing at a movie theater four blocks from the school.  The Nuns who ran the school decided to take all of the children to see it.  We loved it!  The Nuns paced the aisles talking among themselves until the tire changing scene.  That is when the entire school was told to rise and make the trek back to school. :lol:

There are many more, but those are a few prominent examples.  There was a Babysitter at my aunt's house who placed my young brother and I in front of a television with Friday The 13TH Part 2 on so she could make-out with her boyfriend.  I believe others mentioned Babysitters. :rolleyes:

You've led an exciting movie viewing life, Looney!

Yes, those nuns would probably be freaking out at "A Christmas Story". They always just wanted us to go see movies about the Saints, like Francis of Assisi, hoping he would just be talking to the animals like Doctor Dolittle and no women would be involved. I hung out with boys in the neighborhood, since the only two girls were crybabies, and got to see all the scary horror and sci-fi films that boys loved, so I feel very privileged. My parents didn't supervise much what we saw, and would let us stay up late in the summer and watch old Universal and later scary films on tv. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

• Like 1

Yes the Nuns learned a valuable lesson about pre-screening the movies you take the kids to see.  Of course they never took us to another movie.  And clearly they assumed that a movie title A CHRISTMAS STORY was about the birth of Christ.  Oh if I could go back in time I would laugh in their faces so hard.  I know that sounds mean, but I am not kidding.  I'd be rolling on the floor and pointing at them. :lol:  In fairness, some of them were pretty mean.

I will credit my parents for giving me the experience of seeing the old Universal Horror movies at a young age.  And Psycho (1960) as well as a couple of other Hitchcock classics.  So glad VCRs were invented in my lifetime. ;)

25 minutes ago, Looney said:

Yes the Nuns learned a valuable lesson about pre-screening the movies you take the kids to see.  Of course they never took us to another movie.  And clearly they assumed that a movie title A CHRISTMAS STORY was about the birth of Christ.  Oh if I could go back in time I would laugh in their faces so hard.  I know that sounds mean, but I am not kidding.  I'd be rolling on the floor and pointing at them. :lol:  In fairness, some of them were pretty mean.

I will credit my parents for giving me the experience of seeing the old Universal Horror movies at a young age.  And Psycho (1960) as well as a couple of other Hitchcock classics.  So glad VCRs were invented in my lifetime. ;)

Go ahead and go back in time and laugh in their faces, and they will swat you with those pointers they carried around and probably smack you with some wooden rosary beads that they wore around their waist, you little fool!

Just kidding, but you know I am right. Yeah, some were a mite "mean" but if you lived in a convent with forty other nuns you'd probably be mean too, right...haha?

Hopefully you did not acquire the nickname "Looney" by the nuns during your grade school years?

• Haha 1

I'll have to beg off on this discussion, when I was 14 I had Times Square and 42nd Street as a defacto play ground. You could get into see anything, movies, dirty bookstores, arcades, peepshows, burlesque shows, live nude girls, etc., etc. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'La Parisienne' with Bridget Bardot.

I was only 11 but I do believe it was the first movie that made me feel funny down there (as Garth might say to Wayne).

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Go ahead and go back in time and laugh in their faces, and they will swat you with those pointers they carried around and probably smack you with some wooden rosary beads that they wore around their waist, you little fool!

Just kidding, but you know I am right. Yeah, some were a mite "mean" but if you lived in a convent with forty other nuns you'd probably be mean too, right...haha?

Hopefully you did not acquire the nickname "Looney" by the nuns during your grade school years?

Are you trying to give me nightmares?  Of course you are right.  It would be just like Sister Mary Stigmata in The Blues Brothers (1980). 

CigarJoe's comments sounded like a 14 year old boy's paradise. :lol:

And what a great way to describe La Parisienne (1957) darkblue.  Bardot has been known to cause that effect. ;)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Looney said:

Are you trying to give me nightmares?  Of course you are right.  It would be just like Sister Mary Stigmata in The Blues Brothers (1980). 

CigarJoe's comments sounded like a 14 year old boy's paradise. :lol:

And what a great way to describe La Parisienne (1957) darkblue.  Bardot has been known to cause that effect. ;)

You just had nuns as teachers, Looney. You could have been a priest like Father Grandier in "The Devils" from the book by Huxley, who was accusing you of sexual predatory moves and then you would have been burnt at the stake. Gotta say, Vanessa Redgrave made one scary nun in that Ken Russell film, based on real events at the convent at Loudun. That's what happens when you cloister a bunch of women for a couple years...yikes!

• Haha 1