ckusama

Thank you for the course

18 posts in this topic

I never liked musicals but now I look forward to seeing many more. Thank you so much, Dr. Ament and Dr. Edwards for another fantastic Ball St/TCM course! I started with Hitchcock and regret terribly I did not take the noir class as this is my favorite genre! 

I learned so much about film history and about the culture each decade these films were made. Fascinating. I hope to learn more and more since I was a film major in college! 

• Like 7

I cut my teeth on musicals of the 50s on, and now I have a new appreciation for the older ones as well. I've enjoyed every aspect of the course including and especially the exchange of ideas, stories, insights, and chat with you all on the board. I didn't even know there was a TMC message board until now. This particular forum will likely go idle soon but I plan to be more active on the other forums now that I know they exist!

It's been nice "meeting" and interacting with everyone!

• Like 5

Thanks to Dr. Ament and Dr. Edwards. I love musicals and it was great to share this conversation with so many people who love them,too. Dr. Ament's combination of artistic and academic experience provided really interesting insights, and, as someone who has worked with online course components, I truly admire the course design that Dr. Edwards has created. The guest lecturers both brought fresh angles of vision. So, thanks to the faculty, Ball State, and TCM. And a special shout out to everyone who posted--it is great to know that all across the map, there are people who care about movies and express themselves so well!

• Like 6

I too would like to add my immense thanks and appreciation to Dr. Ament and Dr. Edwards for an outstanding experience. Having previously taken the ‘Slapstick Fall’ online course through Ball State/TCM, this too was yet another enjoyable class!  The lectures, podcasts and daily doses further enhanced and personalized the course.  

As I’ve stated elsewhere, I would love to see this stellar team of experts come together and offer an online Bachelor’s Degree program in Film and Media Studies as Arizona State University has done.

I will gleefully toss my money in Ball State’s direction!

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the early musicals we got to watch.  My dad was a huge Lena Horne fan and now I can see why. I've always like the Fred and Ginger films, but never had enjoyed the Golddigger films until now - the only Golddiggers I recall were the ones on the old Dean Martin show!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes, a big thank you to Dr. Ament and Dr. Edwards and everyone involved. My mom was a dancer in the 1950s and later an instructor and  did some choreography. If fact, she spent some time as a June Taylor dancer. That's the story, anyway. So, growing up in the '60s we watched a lot of older musicals on TV and went to see a lot of them in the movies. The first one I remember at a theater was The Music Man and I still watch that movie when it's on TV.

I really learned a lot in this course and have a better appreciation for musicals. I was fascinated with all the history and how and why musicals evolved over the years and all the people behind the scenes. And, now I have a list of a few more that I have to watch or re-watch.

So, again, thank you for the course and....see you at the movies! ?

• Like 2

So happy I found a thread where I can thank our wonderful instructors Professors Edwards, Ament,  Gehring and Rydstrom.  I loved how each had something unique and valuable to input to the course and how Ament's bubbly personality was the perfect "foil" to the others she conversed with.  We were lucky to have had a range of experience and backgrounds in our professors as well, which is team teaching at its absolute best! What a great educational opportunity, and for free, for pete's sake! 

The dialog/conversation approach, which I experienced with the Hitchcock course, is so much better than any straight lecture could be and I appreciate the clips that were embedded in the video discussions as well. That made the discussion even richer.  The podcasts were very interesting though I would suggest keeping them to a max of 30 minutes.

Thank you TCM, Ball State, and our great instructors! 

• Like 2

Yes Yes Yes....Thank you!!

As an online educator I must say you made this course extremely easy to navigate while having a lot of fun learning! Plus -I can absolutely appreciate the complete ton of work that went in to this. I hope at the end of this day you feel it was worth every minute. You were great - thank you so very much!!

PS - You chose OUTSTANDING musicals to illustrate your points and research. Kudos!

• Like 2

I just wanted to say how much I really enjoyed this course.  I loved the lecture discussions with Dr. Edwards and Gary Rydstrom and I thoroughly enjoyed Dr. Ament's stories.

• Like 2

Thank you for another fabulous TCM course!  The historical context you provided for musicals from 1929 to today showed them to be the mirror of our civilization that they are.  I will never take them lightly again!

Laura Sasaran

• Like 2

Please excuse me for dropping formal titles in this post and addressing our instructors simply as regular (but very, very special) people.

Richard Edwards has created (and now nearly perfected) pretty much the best of all possible formats for a MOOC.  Absolutely ingenious. And I believe that the man (given a bit of prep time) could talk intelligently on just about any subject.  And he has had lots and lots of prep time when it comes to film history.  And it SHOWS!  So thank you, Richard Edwards.

As always, I stand in awe of Wes Gehring.  Of his knowledge of film history and his ability to share that knowledge with people who may know very little or who may know a very great deal about the subject.  So thank you, Wes Gehring.

And this time we have had two instructors coming from within the film industry.  One of whom is also an academic.  And that would be Vanessa Ament.  It is most obvious that she has spent her lifetime up to this moment immersed in the stuff of movie musicals.  Her knowledge and enthusiasm now have inspired so very many of us to look at movie musicals with an increased appreciation.  So thank you Vanessa Ament.

And Gary Rydstrom.  You are like Mr. Cool.  I learned SO MUCH from listening to your commentaries throughout this course.  And it's not just the things that you say, but also the way that you say them.  Always so calmly authoritative.  I very much hope that you will return for future Ball State/TCM classes.  So thank you, Gary Rydstrom.

And thank you to all of my fellow students who have shared their thoughts, opinions and enthusiasm on this message board.  "I think I'll miss you most of all."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am a baby boomer and was lucky enough to be old enough to enjoy a lot of these musicals when they first came out in the theaters.  I have had a life long love affair with musicals, to the point of driving most of my close relatives crazy with the number of times and my humming or singing the entire musical.  Thank you for expanding my view of the musicals and to watching for the first time some musicals that I had not thought I would enjoy and now am sorry that I had not watched them fifty times more.

Dr. Ament, I look forward to one day seeing your musical in glorious Technicolor, Breathtaking Cinemascope and
Stereophonic sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And may I add my thanks to Dr. Ament and her colleagues at Ball State, and TCM, for offering this fabulous course.  It was fun and informative, and a good chance to see a lot of movies... some of them in a different way.  And thanks to all of you who took part in these discussions and replied to my comments.

I never did get around to posting a comment of the cult classic 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'.  Real excited about it, though, as I just got a ticket to see the stage show at the Stratford Festival in Ontario this fall... and just got one to see 'Come From Away' in Toronto in two weeks.  It's a hot ticket and I've heard great things about it.  So it's gonna be a great summer of musicals!  

Best wishes to you all!

David

• Like 1

Thank you for the course! I was glad that I had the chance to take it and learn about movie musicals! I can’t wait for the next course!

• Like 1

Yes, thank you!  Thanks to everyone involved for all the planning and effort, thanks for the expertise, thanks for offering all this for free.  Thanks also to the many people who posted comments and shared opinions. This whole experience has been delightful.  I am sorry it is ending.  I want more.  I'm greedy but I guess there's no pleasing some people. Can't wait to see what's next.  Consumed with anticipation.  Meanwhile, see you at the movies!

tenor.gif?itemid=4424318

• Like 1

I want to add my thanks to TCM/Ball State for the Mad About Musicals course.   Dr Vanessa Ament, Academy Award winning Sound Designer, Gary Rydstrom, Professor Wes Gehring, and Film Scholar Richard Edwards thank you for sharing your knowledge, your time and effort to make this a very interesting learning experience!  I have enjoyed learning about the “backstory” and “above” and “below the line” story!  This course has been such fun, and I look forward to the next one!  Dr Ament’s personal story of her time with SHIRLEY Jones was an “easter egg” full of fun! I love movie musicals, and knowing more of the history behind them, will make my viewing experience even better! Thank you!