moviedream

Why is TCM re-running same movies over and over?

11 posts in this topic

Why is TCM re-running the same movies over and over again.  This has happened numerous times the past couple of months.

Take for example right now they are showing RUN SILENT RUN DEEP.

This same movie was on just this past month. 

With all the incredible inventory of films that TCM has, I don't understand why they are re-running so much. 

I love TCM.  Just wondered what the reasoning is behind the re-running.

Although aired before, Maltese Falcon, which I missed. However, I'd like to know why after yesterday's airing:

The Maltese Falcon was aired yesterday but, of course, not in On DEMAND.   However, if you use SEARCH and enter Maltese Falcon -------------- there it is for RENT at $3.99 to $12.99 HD and SD. 

This deeply concerns me. I sent same to Contact US -----------but i predict they will not reply.

11 hours ago, moviedream said:

Why is TCM re-running the same movies over and over again.  This has happened numerous times the past couple of months.

With all the incredible inventory of films that TCM has, I don't understand why they are re-running so much. 

This question has been asked and answered numerous times in other forums (most often the General Discussion forum).

When Ted Turner actually "owned" TCM he also owned a huge library of the MGM and Warner Bros movies that was part of his original acquisition.
In fact, he founded TCM as part of a showcase to air all of those older movies that he had ready access to.

But Ted sold TCM, and the video library along with it.
TCM no longer has as ready access to a lot of the movies that it originally did, and must lease them (as it does most movies) from the companies that own the rights to them, as well as those who control movies from other old studios such as Paramount, Universal, Columbia, RKO, even Disney and a slew of others.
So TCM makes deals where they can show these leased movies so many times during a given period. And some which they can also offer on their WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND website.

In order to take full advantage of the re-showing allowed for these movies, the TCM programmers come up with various overlapping movie themes to allow them to show some of the same movies several times before their lease expires.
Most of the other general filler movies are those which TCM has more ready access, or cheaper, longer term leases, and TCM still has a library of movies that they can fall back on, albeit much smaller than the original one was.
TCM is always negotiating with movie distributors trying to cut deals to show other studio movies.
Sometimes they do, and there will be some sort of TCM "premier" of a movie that may not actually be new (as in a recent release), but one that TCM has never been able to show before. 

BTW, unless a channel has access to original content it must do the same thing as TCM and lease movies from those which control them. That is why on other movie channels such as AMC (for example) you will also see the same movies shown several times during a given period. It is the way the "game" has been played for many decades.
The primary difference being that TCM thus far has stuck to it's original mantra about airing its movies "Uncut, and uninterrupted by commercials."

Here are some links from one of the board members who took a lot of effort to gather hard data on the movies that TCM has aired since 1994, and how many times each has been shown. 

MovieCollectorOH statistical reports on TCM broadcasts
http://moviecollector.us/reports.htm
http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm
http://moviecollector.us/reports/Movies-Only_times-shown-&-last-scheduled.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteveQL said:

Although aired before, Maltese Falcon, which I missed. However, I'd like to know why after yesterday's airing:

The Maltese Falcon was aired yesterday but, of course, not in On DEMAND.   However, if you use SEARCH and enter Maltese Falcon -------------- there it is for RENT at $3.99 to $12.99 HD and SD. 

This deeply concerns me. I sent same to Contact US -----------but i predict they will not reply.

This question was addressed (though I doubt to your satisfaction) in your other thread.

BTW, If you ever do get a direct response from anyone at TCM (regarding any query), please create a thread to let everyone here know about it as it would likely be a "first ever" on these boards.

• Like 1

I missed Run Silent Run Deep

On 6/30/2018 at 11:15 AM, moviedream said:

Notwithstanding, 'Run Silent Run Deep' has been on before I missed it. But, was on last week and by chance  I turned it on but was half way through.  However, I just observed it is in ON DEMAND but as is typical with TCM is in SD version only. So useless to watch in postage stamp format.  So hope it plays again in HD.  No way to alert TCM of ON DEMAND version in SD only.   Same as My Fair Lady.  They will do zero to correct!

47 minutes ago, SteveQL said:

I missed Run Silent Run Deep

Notwithstanding, 'Run Silent Run Deep' has been on before I missed it. But, was on last week and by chance  I turned it on but was half way through.  However, I just observed it is in ON DEMAND but as is typical with TCM is in SD version only. So useless to watch in postage stamp format.  So hope it plays again in HD.  No way to alert TCM of ON DEMAND version in SD only.   Same as My Fair Lady.  They will do zero to correct!

TCM just downloaded HD version of Run Silent Run Deep or I missed it before posting  above.  My Fair Lady of course still in SD version only.

Has TCM ever explored creating a 501c(3), that probably would be a competitor of AFI, but would be a nonprofit dedicated to preserving, restoring, showing, and educating about classic film?  Then folks like us who have the resources could donate toward the  movies we love, purchase rights, and expanding various TCM education opportunities. Heck, they could even do specific campaigns to preserve/restore specific noir or musicals or westerns that each of us with our respective pet projects would help fund?

Try watching FX Movies.  They are the closest to TCM concept in the 3:00 AM to 3:00 PM time frame.  Usually older movies shown uncut and without interruption.  However, they show them over and over and over.  They have a very limited number compared to TCM.

As for the 501c(3), I have been in a couple of non-profits.  Very complicated and probably not where you want to go with an "old movie" channel.  There would never be enough financial support.  I think they are already doing many of the things you recommended or supporting the groups that do.

Buy some wine and support TCM!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Try watching FX Movies.  They are the closest to TCM concept in the 3:00 AM to 3:00 PM time frame.  Usually older movies shown uncut and without interruption.  However, they show them over and over and over.  They have a very limited number compared to TCM.

Yes, every other classic film channel, be it FXM or MGM HD or GeTV or any of the Encore channels, all repeat movies 6 or more times a month, every month. TCM showing one or two titles twice in a month is nothing to complain about. Find something else to do for 2 hours. Geez, people...whiniest bunch of....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've tired over and over again to locate RUN SILENT RUN DEEP on Watch TCM. But I can't find it. Some dumb person at TCM altered the format so that films are no longer listed in alphabetical order. Where is this film? And why can't I find it? Someone at TCM needs to use much better judgment about things like this.   

• Like 1