spence

*Spielberg now remaking *"West side story"

110 posts in this topic

Don't know if anyone reported on this I only got the tip a few days ago Apparently *Steven Spielberg-(now in the casting stages) is actually doing a remake of the 1961 classic/musical & 10 time *Oscar sweeping *"WEST SIDE STORY"

Anybody else know anything on this one???

This has been discussed at length several times. Spielberg has been threatening to make this for many years, but it looks like it is finally happening. Here are some other threads that discuss it:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/186188-a-re-make-of-the-1961-film-west-side-story-opinions-of-a-nay-sayer/

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/126466-west-side-story-1961-film-a-beautiful-combination-of-many-things/

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/193856-a-west-side-story-remake/

Ugggggggghhhhhhhh.

Insert "Shark" joke here.  Lot's of 'em.

Imagine the tagline: "Bruce the mechanical Shark dances and sings!"

Why?  Why remake West Side Story?  You're not going to top the dancing and singing.  The choreography is superb.  The only reason I can think of would be to cast it ethnically true-to-the-storyline.  Oh, and maybe instead of saying, "Dear Officer Krupke, drop you" another verb may be inserted. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

Why?  Why remake West Side Story? 

Because the Sharks this time will be played by real sharks.

I can hear it now ... "You're gonna need a bigger dance hall."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I don't think the movie needs to be remade, the original is fine as it is.  My only complaint with the original is that Marni Nixon's operatic vocals do not fit Natalie Wood and do not fit with the rest of the vocals in the film.  Also the person who dubbed Richard Beymer is not a very good singer--especially in "Something's Coming." 

• Like 2

I also wanted info as to the details of this rehash???

Think the only remake he's done so far was 1989's ALWAYS?  Obviously most on here already know it was lifted from 1944's A GUY NAMED JOE

Posted (edited)

Steven Spielberg remaking "West Side Story"....will this work?

Original

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAOoI67rmrduHn9TSIgZE

Remake will have ...

:P

Edited by hamradio
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, spence said:

Think the only remake he's done so far was 1989's ALWAYS?  Obviously most on here already know it was lifted from 1944's A GUY NAMED JOE

Guess you didn't see "War of the Worlds" (2005), which starred Tom Cruise, Tim Robbins and Dakota Fanning. 

Also, "Hook" (1991) was an updating of a classic story.

So, is he gonna "update" it, or do a "period piece"?

and in either case, is he gonna hire a new composer or composing team?  Possibly( horrors!) a more "hip-hop" score with the gang members BREAK DANCING?  Or the original BERNSTEIN score with new choreography? 

And, if he's going through the trouble of getting all Latino dancers to be the Sharks, is he going "all the way" and actually getting a POLE to play the Polish TONY? 

And possibly, the "rumble" will be replaced by a "drive-by".  ;)

Sepatone

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jakeem said:

Guess you didn't see "War of the Worlds" (2005), which starred Tom Cruise, Tim Robbins and Dakota Fanning. 

Also, "Hook" (1991) was an updating of a classic story.

Movie had the most stupidest plot....aliens came down in lightning bolts to alien ships buried beneath our feet. :blink::wacko:

• Like 1

They can't equal the music or the dancing, so why bother? Are they going to make the music into hip-hop and rap crap? I can't believe Stephen Sondheim (he wrote the lyrics) okayed this or has anything to do with it.

• Like 2

Spielberg is obviously burned out so I say give the public what it would like to see...

remake close encounters and this time make the ETs malign supernatural manifestations that scare the pants offa adults and kids alike...

and no new age go torward the light BS that spoiled the first poltergeist movie so much.

Related image

I heard that he was going to take the odd step of setting it in Verona in the 1300's.  Wow.  Who would have thought of that!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This is what happens when Spielberg doesn't get to make his proposed remake of "Harvey" with Tom Hanks.

harvey-hanks-spielberg.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, drednm said:

They can't equal the music or the dancing, so why bother? Are they going to make the music into hip-hop and rap crap? I can't believe Stephen Sondheim (he wrote the lyrics) okayed this or has anything to do with it.

What I also call it, got a lot of use out of the MUTE button.

I use to get all worked up over remakes too, but I guess I've mellowed as I've  gotten older. So what's the big deal?  It's simply a new interpretation of the original source material.  The original movie will always  be what it is and no new version will change that. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, drednm said:

Maybe the actors will actually sing.

46 minutes ago, markfp2 said:

I use to get all worked up over remakes too, but I guess I've mellowed as I've  gotten older. So what's the big deal?  It's simply a new interpretation of the original source material.  The original movie will always  be what it is and no new version will change that. 

Remakes typically bring attention to prior versions.     I really don't understand why someone that claims to be a big fan of a film wouldn't wish for a new generation to discover said film via seeing a remake.

(I know you don't have that POV,  now that you have mellowed (ha ha).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I heard that he was going to take the odd step of setting it in Verona in the 1300's.  Wow.  Who would have thought of that!

Verona a very nice place.     Just flew into the area and then took a car to Trento.    Much different than the other parts of Italy I had been too.   They make some really fine white wines.  

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Verona a very nice place.     Just flew into the area and then took a car to Trento.    Much different than the other parts of Italy I had been too.   They make some really fine white wines.  

I think he's joking because West Side Story is inspired by Romeo & Juliet, which was set in Verona. :lol: