spence

*Spielberg now remaking *"West side story"

110 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think he's joking because West Side Story is inspired by Romeo & Juliet, which was set in Verona. :lol:

Oh,  I knew Bogie was joking,  but he did remind me of Verona and this beautiful area of Italy.

PS:  But I have made a similar point with regards to West Side Story as it relates to a remake since WSS could be consider a type of remake.

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Remakes typically bring attention to prior versions.     I really don't understand why someone that claims to be a big fan of a film wouldn't wish for a new generation to discover said film via seeing a remake.

(I know you don't have that POV,  now that you have mellowed (ha ha).

Actually, as far as bringing attention to the original film goes, I'm all for that. It's just that I'm no longer getting all bent out of shape when I hear that some classic is being remade.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Maybe the actors will actually sing.

I doubt it, since the current crop can't sing. All they can do is shriek and add ten notes where only one is needed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, drednm said:

I doubt it, since the current crop can't sing. All they can do is shriek and add ten notes where only one is needed.

Nailed it.

Frankly, I couldn't care less what other people say or think!  Some classic movies most definitely should not be touched, and West Side Story is one of them.  It would be one thing if Steve Spielberg did another movie along the same theme as West Side Story, but re-making what's already a classic film which won ten well-earned Academy Awards, including Best Picture back in October 1961, when it first came out into the movie theatres is a whole other matter.  I don't think it'll work out very well, either.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:06 AM, markfp2 said:

Actually, as far as bringing attention to the original film goes, I'm all for that. It's just that I'm no longer getting all bent out of shape when I hear that some classic is being remade.

Frankly, it seems as if the younger generations of today won't want to see the original if they see the re-make of the film West Side Story and like it enough.  I can't help fearing that the 1961 original film will no longer be available except on DVD, Blu-Ray, or on video.  That, to me, would be  unfortunate.

On 7/5/2018 at 8:49 AM, MovieCollectorOH said:

Nailed it.

Frankly, what passes for talent these days is extremely corporate oriented.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:23 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Oh,  I knew Bogie was joking,  but he did remind me of Verona and this beautiful area of Italy.

PS:  But I have made a similar point with regards to West Side Story as it relates to a remake since WSS could be consider a type of remake.

I don't see West Side Story as being a re-make of anything.  It's based on Romeo and Juliet, but that's not the same as re-making it.  

On 7/4/2018 at 2:22 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Maybe the actors will actually sing.

I like West Side Story (1961), but mostly for Rita Moreno, Russ Tamblyn, "I Feel Pretty" and "America." 

As much as I love Natalie Wood, I did not like how she affected a Latina accent for her role as Maria.  I also did not like Marnie Nixon's voice dubbing for Natalie's.  Nixon's voice was completely out of place amongst the other voices in the cast.

I know that Richard Beymer was dubbed too.  The guy who dubbed him was very uneven.  The vocals are painful in Tony's first number, "Something's Coming."  I wish that the Tony in the film was less of a goody-goody and more like the rest of the Jets. 

I do like the songs in the film, my favorites being: the aforementioned "I Feel Pretty," "America," "Cool," and "Tonight." 

I read somewhere that while Rita Moreno liked being in "West Side Story," she was put off by the experience of having to have hers and George Chakiris' skin painted darker so that they would look more Puerto Rican.  Moreno is a native Puerto Rican! 

I have also always found it odd in West Side Story, that the Puerto Ricans were treated like illegal immigrants in New York City... Last I checked, Puerto Rico was part of the United States and has been for quite some time--long before West Side Story.  Sadly, this racial tension and ignorance is still timely today. 

19 hours ago, miki said:

I don't see West Side Story as being a re-make of anything.  It's based on Romeo and Juliet, but that's not the same as re-making it.  

West Side Story is a 1961 American romantic musical tragedy film[2][3][4] directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins. The film is an adaptation of the 1957 Broadway musical of the same name, which in turn was inspired by William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet.

Miki:  as we all know the 1961 film version of WSS is an adaptation of the 1957 play.    Any film version done today would also be an adaptation of the 1957 play,  and therefore not a remake of the 1961 film.

Yea, I know that this sounds like a petty distinction,  but I don't believe it is if one accepts this premise;   a film is an adaptation of the original source material and NOT prior films made from that original source material.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

West Side Story is a 1961 American romantic musical tragedy film[2][3][4] directed by Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins. The film is an adaptation of the 1957 Broadway musical of the same name, which in turn was inspired by William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet.

Miki:  as we all know the 1961 film version of WSS is an adaptation of the 1957 play.    Any film version done today would also be an adaptation of the 1957 play,  and therefore not a remake of the 1961 film.

Yea, I know that this sounds like a petty distinction,  but I don't believe it is if one accepts this premise;   a film is an adaptation of the original source material and NOT prior films made from that original source material.  

Agreed.  Hitchcock's Psycho (1960) is an adaptation of the original source material.  However, the 1998 version of Psycho is a direct remake of Hitchcock's film as the film was a literal remake of the original film. However, if someone were to take the original source material and do a different version of the film, that would be an adaptation.

Having not seen the play version of West Side Story, I do not know the differences between the film and the play.  The 1961 film is an adaptation of the play. If the new West Side Story included scenes from the play that weren't in the 1961 film, that film would also be an adaptation of the play.  However, if the new West Side Story is just a re-hashing of the film, especially if scenes from the film are included which are NOT in the play, then I would consider the new film a remake of the old.  However, it would still be an adaptation of the original source material. 

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Agreed.  Hitchcock's Psycho (1960) is an adaptation of the original source material.  However, the 1998 version of Psycho is a direct remake of Hitchcock's film as the film was a literal remake of the original film. However, if someone were to take the original source material and do a different version of the film, that would be an adaptation.

Having not seen the play version of West Side Story, I do not know the differences between the film and the play.  The 1961 film is an adaptation of the play. If the new West Side Story included scenes from the play that weren't in the 1961 film, that film would also be an adaptation of the play.  However, if the new West Side Story is just a re-hashing of the film, especially if scenes from the film are included which are NOT in the play, then I would consider the new film a remake of the old.  However, it would still be an adaptation of the original source material. 

Great points;   Yes,  there is a gray-zone where a film is much more of a remake of a prior film version than an adaptation of the original source material.    You outline this well with regards to WSS and those 'ifs'.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 11:24 AM, drednm said:

They can't equal the music or the dancing, so why bother? Are they going to make the music into hip-hop and rap crap? I can't believe Stephen Sondheim (he wrote the lyrics) okayed this or has anything to do with it.

We're all just a bunch of old white people on these boards, aren't we?

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm a plant-based alien lifeform. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Don't bring race into this! 😉

manufactured-outrage-is-so-hotright-now-34293775.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Hopefully the producers will not do what they did with the Ball of Fire "remake" by adding that darn jazz music in A Song is Born.   (wink \ wink).     (a rare case where I love both adaptations equally, but for different reasons).

As a jazz musician I really dislike Rap and Hip-Hop,  but I understand why currently popular musical genres are used in a film.     

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Don't bring race into this! 😉

manufactured-outrage-is-so-hotright-now-34293775.png

I think you're being funny and not really accusing me, but for the record, drednm deliberately and intentionally brought race into this by denouncing all rap and hip-hop music as crap. He didn't explicitly mention race, but the implication punches you in the face. I was just responding to that statement!

I haven't seen Hamilton, but it appears to be an extraordinarily successful example of incorporating rap and hip-hop elements in a manner that didn't necessarily alienate every old white person on Earth. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Speilberg tries to "hip" up the music of West Side Story to some degree as well.

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think you're being funny and not really accusing me, but for the record, drednm deliberately and intentionally brought race into this by denouncing all rap and hip-hop music as crap. He didn't explicitly mention race, but the implication punches you in the face. I was just responding to that statement!

I haven't seen Hamilton, but it appears to be an extraordinarily successful example of incorporating rap and hip-hop elements in a manner that didn't necessarily alienate every old white person on Earth. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Speilberg tries to "hip" up the music of West Side Story to some degree as well.

No worries.  I was kidding, hence the wink emoji and the meme.  I didn't even see the rap/hip-hop comment.  

Let's hope they don't do West Side Story Live! For NBC starring Ariana Grande as Maria and Justin Bieber as Tony.  Featuring One Direction as the Jets and a K-pop boy band as the Sharks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Speak for yourself.

• Like 1

That's just my guess based on the commentary I read. If there are people on here who are not old or are not white, I wish they would share that information!

On 6/30/2018 at 10:23 PM, spence said:

Don't know if anyone reported on this I only got the tip a few days ago Apparently *Steven Spielberg-(now in the casting stages) is actually doing a remake of the 1961 classic/musical & 10 time *Oscar sweeping *"WEST SIDE STORY"

Anybody else know anything on this one???

I never heard of this, but much will have to be changed for 2018. For instance, a bunch of white guys dancing in the street in perfect synchronization with snappy happy clothing looking like they are going to a job interview in Manhattan while carrying switchblades is just not intimidating in 2018. In fact, I can't think of a better way to get shot in NYC - a city with no legal guns - than to do just that. Never bring a knife - even a bunch of them - to a gun fight.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, speedracer5 said:

I don't think the movie needs to be remade, the original is fine as it is.  My only complaint with the original is that Marni Nixon's operatic vocals do not fit Natalie Wood and do not fit with the rest of the vocals in the film.  Also the person who dubbed Richard Beymer is not a very good singer--especially in "Something's Coming." 

THANX!  Yeah a lot of the cast that were pro dancers  i.e. Tamblyn & never alopologized either, were mostly the creul people that were very obnoxious making the pic

Jackie (Robin) ward-(l941-) did her vocals for DAISY & Natalie did it pitch perfect!

As for GYPY Mervyn LeRoy wanted her do her own singing for that one  I've seen her actual voice in DAISY many times & her voice was good, but not great

(P.S. Check her out & it's easy the fond-(youtube) of her actually singing.

& she truly buster her butt working out in class for Maria