spence

*Spielberg now remaking *"West side story"

71 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

No worries.  I was kidding, hence the wink emoji and the meme.  I didn't even see the rap/hip-hop comment.  

Let's hope they don't do West Side Story Live! For NBC starring Ariana Grande as Maria and Justin Bieber as Tony.  Featuring One Direction as the Jets and a K-pop boy band as the Sharks. 

I'm not or even really been a he fan of movie musicals, true some a fantastic  WIZARD OF OZ,  SINGIN ' IN THE RAIN & OF COURSE *DISNEY'S HEAVYWEIGHT ANIMATED CLASSIC.  Personally I've always rated WEST SIDE about No. 7 ever!

But have no desire to see HAMILTON!!!

One thing already seems ab absolute this remake-(despite *Steven) will never take home 10 *ACADEMY AWARDS

(TRIVIA: On about 90 to 95% of polls since when anyone has posted UNDERSERVED *OSCARS, *Chakiris is always way up the top)

We went from SINATRA &ELVIS to Justin Beiber???

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

That's just my guess based on the commentary I read. If there are people on here who are not old or are not white, I wish they would share that information!

I am not old.

Unless I were standing in a room full of kids, they might consider me "old."

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

That's just my guess based on the commentary I read. If there are people on here who are not old or are not white, I wish they would share that information!

For the census I always say 'other' since my mother is from one race and my father from another race.

In addition I don't feel I 'belong' to either of those races.    My dad laughs at this,  but my mom doesn't like it.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, ChristineHoard said:

Why?  Why remake West Side Story?  You're not going to top the dancing and singing.  The choreography is superb.  The only reason I can think of would be to cast it ethnically true-to-the-storyline.  Oh, and maybe instead of saying, "Dear Officer Krupke, drop you" another verb may be inserted. 

Oh, you are just such a spoilsport, Christine.

Next I suppose you are going to say Stevie's idea of remaking "The Wizard of Oz" is a bad idea. What's wrong with Tom Cruise playing the Wizard, I ask you!

Ya know, ever since Kurosawa publically chastized Spielberg [at that dinner celebrating Kurosawa's legacy] for just making sequels and blockbusters to make big money, Spielberg's been trying to challenge himself.

I look forward also to Spielberg remaking "Casablanca" with Ben Affleck in the Bogie part, and Kanye West as Sam, playing his heart out at the piano.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

For the census I always say 'other' since my mother is from one race and my father from another race.

In addition I don't feel I 'belong' to either of those races.    My dad laughs at this,  but my mom doesn't like it.

I think I'm white, but only since I seem to match well all those Band-Aid flesh colored bandages. Haven't done a genealogy check though so who knows. Not that there's anything wrong with being white, as Seinfeld would say.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, ChristineHoard said:

Why?  Why remake West Side Story?  You're not going to top the dancing and singing.  The choreography is superb.  The only reason I can think of would be to cast it ethnically true-to-the-storyline.  Oh, and maybe instead of saying, "Dear Officer Krupke, drop you" another verb may be inserted. 

Why?    First films are made to make money.   If the financial backers believe such a project will make money that is the #1 to move forward with it.

Now from the artistic POV you have with your 'why' question;  so one shouldn't take original source material and a new production company (actors, screenwriters, director, etc...) and try to make their own interpretation of said source material,  unless they can be sure they can 'top' what others have done before?   

I assume if one was to ask the producers 'why' they would tell us basically what I'm saying;   This was a great play,  inspired by another great play (Romeo and Juliet), and we wish to use said source material and see if we can come up with a solid movie.

Most people are NOT interested in seeing 'old' movies;  a new adaptation will bring expose this fine play to a new generation.    Isn't that 'why' enough? 

(oh, and I wouldn't define as great the duped singing used by the two main stars in the 1961 version).  

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why?    First films are made to make money.   If the financial backers believe such a project will make money that is the #1 to move forward with it.

Now from the artistic POV you have with your 'why' question;  so one shouldn't take original source material and a new production company (actors, screenwriters, director, etc...) and try to make their own interpretation of said source material,  unless they can be sure they can 'top' what others have done before?   

I assume if one was to ask the producers 'why' they would tell us basically what I'm saying;   This was a great play,  inspired by another great play (Romeo and Juliet), and we wish to use said source material and see if we can come up with a solid movie.

Most people are NOT interested in seeing 'old' movies;  a new adaptation will bring expose this fine play to a new generation.    Isn't that 'why' enough? 

(oh, and I wouldn't define as great the duped singing used by the two main stars in the 1961 version).  

OK, you're a musician.  How'd you do it?

38 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

OK, you're a musician.  How'd you do it?

Being a musician, especially a jazz musician,  is one of the reasons I support creative people taking something that was done before and trying to make something 'new' (or fresh), with it.  E.g. I do this with Beatles song;  I re-harmonize them and play them as instrumental jazz tunes.     I know that I can never come close to the great things The Beatles did with the songs they wrote,  but since I find magic in those songs,  I want to honor them by putting my own take on them.

As for another version of WSS:   What I would do wouldn't appeal to most people;  The basic songs are great,  but I would make them less 'Broadway' and more jazzy.    As for the overall plot \ story;  Someone else asked how 'true' the 61 film was to the 1957 play.    I would likely stick as close to the play as possible.   One change I would make was inspired by your comment of " ethnically true-to-the-storyline":    I would try to minor what is occurring in L.A. with the intense rivalry between black and Latino gangs.      What the USA doesn't need is a movie that pits a white gang against a non-white gang.   

PS:  What were the actual ethnic groups portrayed in the Broadway production?     

A year or so ago, I saw an Actor's Equity production of West Side Story at a local theater.    I must admit, it was as if I had never seen the film.  There was a rawness and freshness to the performance, and quite frankly, some harsher elements of the book are toned down for the film (Anita is practically raped in the drugstore scene, so her motivation for saying that Maria is dead is much clearer; the language in the movie is also cleaned up considerably, even though the 50s language still doesn't approach the crudity of modern speech).  Of course, the production did use a primarily Latino cast for the Puerto Rican roles, which made a huge difference.  The actor who played Tony was incandescent.  When he sings "Something's Coming," the audience believed that this is a young man filled with  hopes and dreams, not just some actor just mouthing the words.  I don't know if a film can ever replicate the immediacy and brilliance of Bernstein and Robbins' production in live performance.  That being said, I have a hope for Josh Groban in the role of Tony, if a film or televised live production is cast.

• Like 2

Carol Lawrence played Maria in the original Broadway production.  At least we know she did her own singing.  Chita Rivera was Anita.  Natalie Wood was cast in the movie because they needed a "name" ala Audrey Hepburn in for Julie Andrews in MY FAIR LADY.  Richard Beymer - I can't explain; maybe it was his youthful good looks.  The choreography and the way the film starts - I just don't see how that can be topped.

Instead of remaking classics, how about remaking those with stories that had great potential but executed on film very poorly due to acting, the script, the directing, visuals or all of the aforementioned.

The best defense of remakes is that they will lead viewers to go watch the original....but I found that isn't really the case most of the time. A lot of younger viewers will see the remake and figure they don't need to see the previous version or versions. 

Of course there are remakes out there that are quite enjoyable and watchable....but again, I'd like to see moviemakers try to remake a movie that had the potential to be a classic but ended up missing the mark for whatever reason.

ISHTAR, anyone? Or even GIGLI?

• Like 1

One good thing HOLLYWOOD is not doing a rehash of the worst BP winner in history *THE BROADWAY MELODY (MGM) (**1/2at best)

2 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Carol Lawrence played Maria in the original Broadway production.  At least we know she did her own singing.  Chita Rivera was Anita.  Natalie Wood was cast in the movie because they needed a "name" ala Audrey Hepburn in for Julie Andrews in MY FAIR LADY.  Richard Beymer - I can't explain; maybe it was his youthful good looks.  The choreography and the way the film starts - I just don't see how that can be topped.

Ever hear or see her as Maria?

I think Jackie (Robin) Ward-(l941-) still resides in FL-(the poor soul)

I've heard the cast album with Carol Lawrence.  Also, my dad had an album of her singing show tunes.   She had a lovely voice and was a gifted dancer.  She was married to Robert Goulet, and apparently, they were one of Broadway's "golden" couples.

On 7/1/2018 at 5:26 PM, ChristineHoard said:

I thought it was "Dear Officer Krupke, Krup you."

On 7/4/2018 at 11:09 AM, LawrenceA said:

Unless it's set in 1983, I doubt there will be much break dancing.

Good one, Lawrence!

By the way, I love your photo. Am I right that it's the guy from "Ikiru", Takashi Shimura?

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 9:38 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Instead of remaking classics, how about remaking those with stories that had great potential but executed on film very poorly due to acting, the script, the directing, visuals or all of the aforementioned.

The best defense of remakes is that they will lead viewers to go watch the original....but I found that isn't really the case most of the time. A lot of younger viewers will see the remake and figure they don't need to see the previous version or versions. 

Of course there are remakes out there that are quite enjoyable and watchable....but again, I'd like to see moviemakers try to remake a movie that had the potential to be a classic but ended up missing the mark for whatever reason.

ISHTAR, anyone? Or even GIGLI?

I thought Barbra Streisand was going to remake Gypsy with herself as Mama Rose.  Since I'm not a big fan of the 1962 movie version...well, you know.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:49 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Being a musician, especially a jazz musician,  is one of the reasons I support creative people taking something that was done before and trying to make something 'new' (or fresh), with it.  E.g. I do this with Beatles song;  I re-harmonize them and play them as instrumental jazz tunes.     I know that I can never come close to the great things The Beatles did with the songs they wrote,  but since I find magic in those songs,  I want to honor them by putting my own take on them.

As for another version of WSS:   What I would do wouldn't appeal to most people;  The basic songs are great,  but I would make them less 'Broadway' and more jazzy.    As for the overall plot \ story;  Someone else asked how 'true' the 61 film was to the 1957 play.    I would likely stick as close to the play as possible.   One change I would make was inspired by your comment of " ethnically true-to-the-storyline":    I would try to minor what is occurring in L.A. with the intense rivalry between black and Latino gangs.      What the USA doesn't need is a movie that pits a white gang against a non-white gang.   

PS:  What were the actual ethnic groups portrayed in the Broadway production?     

Wasn't it Carol Lawrence and Larry Kert in the original Broadway production? She definitely did make a fine Maria. Some of the backup people were the same as I recall. Michael Callan played Riff as I recall, but didn't make it to the movie.