MareyMac

1776?

12 posts in this topic

I seriously don't get the gushing about this movie. Maybe it's because I'm not American??? I consider myself a pretty well-informed film buff. Frankly, I've never even heard of this movie-based-on-a-stage-musical. And, after listening to the lecture discussions, I'm not exactly itching to watch it. Seems the only thing recommending it is it's a pet-fave of the instructor. In fact, this seems to be an example of letting personal prejudices influencing academic perspective.

Meanwhile, where is a discussion of Saturday Night Fever as "disruptive" and a landmark musical film for the 70s? I was NOT a fan of the whole disco wave, but in hindsight, this movie was HUGE and a real game changer. Even if you look at it in terms of soundtrack sales.

Is it just me?

True, the movie is about the Second Continental Congress, the ultimate American subject, but I do hope you at least give 1776 a try. The musical numbers are fantastic, the costuming gorgeous, and the staging quite thrilling. If nothing else, please give yourself the pleasure of watching the scenes in which John (William Daniels) and Abigail Adams (Virginia Vestoff)  interact with one another. They sing their letters to one another, and the performances are tender and moving. In reality, the Adams’s were a very close, loving couple, and they wrote volumes of letters to one another throughout their marriage, which was constantly interrupted by John being away. 

Also, Edward Rutledge of South Carolina (John Cullum) performs a stirring number,  “Molasses to Rum”. It is dramatic  in the extreme. 

If all else fails, just remember that all this action takes place shortly after the Battle of Quebec, in which the Continental Army was forced back to Fort Ticonderoga! 

• Like 1

1776 is a wonderful musical and the film does a great job of bringing to the screen. It’s got a large distinguished cast and a great score. Honestly, not to be mean, but maybe the reason you don’t “get” this movie isn’t because you’re not from the United States, but because you have never seen it.

• Like 1

I seen this movie in school and a few times since then and I really enjoy watching it. Great movie to celebrate the 4th! When my mom was younger, she went to see the play at the Eastern States Exposition in Massachusetts with her grandmother.

12 hours ago, MareyMac said:

Meanwhile, where is a discussion of Saturday Night Fever as "disruptive" and a landmark musical film for the 70s? I was NOT a fan of the whole disco wave, but in hindsight, this movie was HUGE and a real game changer. Even if you look at it in terms of soundtrack sales.

There was indeed a mention of Saturday Night Fever in one of the discussions -- I can't recall at the moment whether it was in a video lecture or the final podcast, but it was during the wrap-up of post-'75 movies.

I agree that the film was a game-changer in many ways.  I don't want to speculate on the reasons it wasn't included in the schedule for the course or the course discussions -- the omission could have been related to rights issues, but IIRC TCM has showed it in the past.  

1 hour ago, Languorous Lass said:

There was indeed a mention of Saturday Night Fever in one of the discussions -- I can't recall at the moment whether it was in a video lecture or the final podcast, but it was during the wrap-up of post-'75 movies.

I agree that the film was a game-changer in many ways.  I don't want to speculate on the reasons it wasn't included in the schedule for the course or the course discussions -- the omission could have been related to rights issues, but IIRC TCM has showed it in the past.  

Yes, there was mention in the wrap up. Just a passing mention though. Meanwhile not one but two discussions, at length, on 1776.

OK, 1776 is showing on 4th of July (of course) on TCM. I will try watching it. But honestly, watching actors singing and dancing as colonials debating American Independence sounds like 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

• Like 1

What I like about 1776 is how it shows the frustrations and compromises that had to be made to agree on the Declaration of Independence.  John Adams balancing his passion for breaking with England and his passion for his wife is portrayed quite well. This musical gives human faces to historical figures. I would assume that seeing Hamilton, the play that has taken Broadway by storm, would also not be on your bucket list as it is about the same time period.

Maybe you’ll like it. At the least you’ll have learned something about film history. This was Jack Warner’s last film. And you’ll get to hear one of the best musical scores to come out of Broadway in the 1970s and see a great Broadway performance, William Daniels as John Adams, captured on film. Best wishes!

Lord, I found this non-film monumentally, dreadfully and painfully tedious. I couldn't get past 20 minutes of it. Then I bailed because truthfully, it wasn't going to get any better. If you love it, good for you. So sorry, no amount of explaining why I should appreciate it due to some historical merit will win me over.

I was looking forward to seeing 1776 again, and I did get through most of it. But it was painful to watch Blythe Danner attempt to sing with the prerecorded lyrics. And I found this to be true of one of the other delegates, too, although the name now escapes me. I'm glad I saw it again, but it's not a film I would recommend. And its length doesn't help any. (I have to admit that I cheated and fast-forwarded through some of the songs; it was the only way I could do it.)

Well, having seen it, at least no one can use the "you just have to see it" argument. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but that's how taste works.
For my part, one thing I like about the show (and I'll admit it gets kind of tedious - you can imagine how our Founding Fathers felt having to actually live through it!) is that it's not a "70's show'. It's a product of that decade, but the writers tried to capture the music style of the period. Even "Mama Look Sharp", the song the young soldier sings, follows the pattern of folk songs of the day.