Sign in to follow this  
Monik

A tribute to Deborah Kerr

46 posts in this topic

Superb pictures, MissGoddess! I am so happy that this forum page devoted to Deborah Kerr enriches more and more with such nice things!

Niiiiiiice pics of the lovely Deborah Kerr:D!

Next to Ingrid Bergman, Simone Signoret, Jeanne Moreau, Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, Fanny Ardant & Catherine Deneuve Lady Deborah is a BIG fave.

Let's not forget Deborah's birthday is coming up next Tuesday. Here's the movies TCM has picked to celebrate the occasion:

*Tea And Sympathy* (1956)

A faculty wife risks her marriage to help a troubled teen tormented by his fellow students.

Cast: Deborah Kerr, John Kerr, Leif Erickson. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. C-122 mins, TV-PG

*Count Your Blessings* (1959)

After a wartime separation, an Englishwoman discovers her French husband is a womanizer.

Cast: Deborah Kerr, Maurice Chevalier, Rossano Brazzi. Dir: Jean Negulesco. C-102 mins, TV-PG

*The Journey* (1959)

A Communist officer falls hard for a married woman trying to escape from Hungary.

Cast: Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner, Jason Robards, Jr. Dir: Anatole Litvak. C-126 mins, TV-PG

Greetings to all Deborah Kerr fans!

Don't forget this rarely-seen, not-on-DVD movie that TCM will be showing overnight:

*Adam and Evelyne* (1949)

When a friend dies, a gambler adopts his daughter.

Cast: Deborah Kerr, Stewart Granger, Richard Carlson. Dir: Harold French. BW-93 mins, TV-G

I've never seen that picture of Deborah, before, she looks radiant and bright eyed. Almost like

she knows a secret she's not going to tell. Great find, Metsie!

I just noticed it's from the same photo shoot as one posted by Monik. She looks forced in the color version but in this one it looks as if the cameraman was trying to make her laugh.

I love that photo of DK. She looks like the cat who just swallowed the mouse.

For some strange reason, the TCM schedule said that Deborah Kerr was in *Adam and Evelyne* - but I checked my recording and it is in fact Jean Simmons. Don't know how Deborah's name made its way to the TCM.com schedule.

Coming up tonight at 1:45am ET:

*The End of the Affair* (1955)

A married woman cheats on her husband in World War II London.

Cast: Van Johnson , Deborah Kerr Dir: Edward Dmytryk BW-106 mins, TV-G

610x.jpg

I can't buy Johnson as Bendrix in *End of the Affair* (not his fault, I just think he's horribly miscast) but Kerr is glorious as Sarah. She plays a woman in spiritual crisis very well, in both this and *Black Narcissus*. I think she's able to exude a kind of serene, otherworldly calm, even in the midst of the most dire situations.

Message was edited by: ddalehall

*Black Narcissus* was definitely one of her best performances, imho.

deborah-kerr-black-narcissus.JPG

We really should thank Powell & Pressburger for "discovering" Kerr. Here she is in a still from *The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp*:

000tppzs

Deborah Kerr in "The Sundowners" was a plain strong frontierswoman out there in the Aussie country. There was this scene in the tent with her and Robert Mitchum...

I'm just happy to have seen her get her honorary Academy Award. That was a great moment!

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> We really should thank Powell & Pressburger for "discovering" Kerr.

Absolutely!

I will have to see *Sundowners*. There's lots of Deborah Kerr movies out there that I have yet to discover; *Black Narcissus* was the first one that really made me sit up and take notice.

I haven't watched *The Sundowners* since college, so I don't remember a lot about it, except that I enjoyed watching it. I'll try and watch it again this year.

I also want to re-visit *The King and I*, but I'm kinda hoping that they'll release it on blu-ray soon, so maybe I'll wait on that one.