Sign in to follow this  
MaureenGerarda

Laurel and Hardy "not in Canada yet"

12 posts in this topic

It's really not fair to all of us CANADIAN fans of Laurel and Hardy that we are not able to see their films on TCM. I have been waiting patiently to view their films but it seems that only the Americans are able to watch them on TCM.

Sorry to here that! I'm a BIG TIME L&H fan. To that end I have been collecting their films and shorts on DVD or VHS. TCM or any other channel for that matter, never plays enough of L&H for me.

Feature films - "Sons Of The Desert" followed by "Way Out West."

Shorts, take your pick. "The Music Box", "Big Business", "Brats", "Men O' War", etc. They did many fine silent shorts but they are hard to come by.

Lots of great stuff.

In my opinion only, the best L & H film was, without a doubt, "The Music Box".

I live in L.A. and it's possible to go to Silverlake and see a street named Music Box Street, where it was filmed. I understand it won an Academy Award when it was released.

Another feature that is wonderful is "Pardon Us" and another short that is way too funny is "The County Hospital"

If you are lucky enough they are featured for a day (the 23rd) during the Summer Under The Stars festival. Maybe some will get shown in your area. There will be quite a few short films shown that day.

I hope you get to see some.

Maureen:

Every August TCM has a Summer Under The Stars festival where each day they highlight the movies of one star only. August 23 is the day they will show only L&H films. They will show a combination of feature films and short films.

Courtesy of a poster named "filmlover" here is a list of stars for August.

1. Michael Caine

2. Charlie Chaplin

3. Gregory Peck

4. Marie Dressler

5. Claude Rains

6. Anne Bancroft

7. Greta Garbo

8. James Garner

9. Fred MacMurray

10. Doris Day

11. Richard Widmark

12. Kim Novak

13. Peter Lorre

14. Greer Garson

15. Rita Hayworth

16. Fred Astaire

17. Gene Kelly

18. Jack Palance

19. Barbara Stanwyck

20. Edward G. Robinson

21. Ava Gardner

22. Trevor Howard

23. Laurel and Hardy

24. Henry Fonda

25. Ingrid Bergman

26. Janet Leigh

27. Tony Curtis

28. Charlton Heston

29. Marlon Brando

30. Katherine Hepburn

31. Spencer Tracy

Thanks for the info. I checked the TCM Schedule for August. I am soooooooo disappointed. Its not playing on the CANADIAN TCM Schedule.. The CANADIAN Schedule is totally different from the American Schedule. What a disappointment for us Canadian Laurel and Hardy fans. We fans are not getting any younger. Someday people will say Laurel and Hardy who? I hope TCM shows the L&H movies in Canada before that happens.

I checked the Canadian schedule. I'm jealous. Alot of precodes and I think at least one movie TCM changed. I guess the grass is always greener.I think somebody eles has the broadcast rights to Roach in Canada,

I know how frustrated you are, but there is absolutely nothing TCM can do about it. If the Canadian rights are not available to them, they can't show the films. It's as simple as that. Think about how much easier it would be for TCM if they didn't have to have two different schedules, but they have to. The two usual reasons the rights aren't available to TCM are that some station or network in Canada has those rights under contract or the American distributor doesn't have the Canadian rights to offer TCM.