Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Monday is Joan Blondell Day!

30 posts in this topic

And, about time . . .She still deserves to be a SOTM!

joanblondell.jpg

• Like 7

Yes and she has enough films to fill the SOTM time slots!  I'm interested in seeing the precode God's Gift to Women (1931) with Joan, Frank Fay (Barbara Stanwyck's soon-to-be ex), and Louise Brooks!

• Like 2

The reviews I've seen say God's Gift to Women is pretty bad.  The only Fay movie I've seen is The Matrimonial Bed, and that one was grindingly unfunny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fedya said:

The reviews I've seen say God's Gift to Women is pretty bad.  The only Fay movie I've seen is The Matrimonial Bed, and that one was grindingly unfunny.

It may stink but I am curious about Fay whom I've never seen.  Even if Louis Brooks only has a small scene, I still want to see her.  And, of course, there's Joan, who I trust to do whatever she can with her role.  After all, it's a part of film history.

Yes, from what I've read Fay's film career was short and not sweet and there is the rumor that his star falling and Barbara's star rising is the basis for A STAR IS BORN.

• Like 1

I've seen Frank Fay in The Show of Shows (1929), A Fool's Advice (aka Meet the Mayor) (1932), They Knew What They Wanted (1940), and Love Nest (1951) (he also had a small bit in Nothing Sacred). The last two are supporting roles on his way down and out. The first two movies are a good indicator of what he was like. In The Show of Shows, he acts as the emcee, and he's himself, with his rhythm and delivery, so it stands as the best example of what made him famous. A Fool's Advice is a scripted comedy, but Fay wrote the story and his character is still close to his stage persona.

It's amusing reading about him, as he was not only an open supporter of fascism, but was disliked by virtually everyone who worked with him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm so glad that Joan Blondell is finally being recognized, even if it's just a daytime theme.  Blondell definitely deserves to be SOTM.

ATTENTION TCM PROGRAMMERS, WE KNOW YOU CHECK OUT THE BOARDS OCCASIONALLY, SO CHECK THIS OUT:

MAKE JOAN BLONDELL STAR OF THE MONTH.  SHE WAS A BIG STAR DURING THE GOLDEN AGE.  ALSO, WHEN (note I said "when" not "if") JOAN IS SOTM, PLEASE PREMIERE "THE PERFECT SPECIMEN" and "THE BLUE VEIL." 

Okay, with that out of the way, I think the only film I've seen during the lineup is Illicit.  Which I remember not really being *that* illicit.  

I am interested in:

Stage Struck

Broadway Gondelier

Traveling Saleslady

Smarty

Colleen

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

joanblondell.jpg

What a cutie!  Always one of my favorite actresses, and a really fine actress as well.  Catch her in Other Men's Women (1931), with her stage bud Jimmy Cagney.

• Like 1

Monday July 2, 2018
GOD'S GIFT TO WOMEN with Frank Fay
COLLEEN with Dick Powell
SMARTY with Warren William
THE KID FROM KOKOMO with Pat O'Brien
TRAVELING SALESLADY with Glenda Farrell
BROADWAY GONDOLIER with Dick Powell
THE KING AND THE CHORUS GIRL with Fernand Gravet
ILLICIT with Barbara Stanwyck
STAGE STRUCK with Dick Powell

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 2.52.16 PM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fedya said:

The reviews I've seen say God's Gift to Women is pretty bad.  

Ach!  Here we go again!

Have YOU seen this movie?  And if you have, and feel the same I gotta ask....

did you form the opinion BEFORE reading the "reviews you've seen"?  Or AFTER your seeing the flick?

And, if not having seen the film before(which I haven't), why should I give TWO DEAD FLIES for what somebody ELSE thinks of it?

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Ach!  Here we go again!

did you form the opinion BEFORE reading the "reviews you've seen"?  Or AFTER your seeing the flick?

And, if not having seen the film before(which I haven't), why should I give TWO DEAD FLIES for what somebody ELSE thinks of it?

Sepiatone

Why should I give two dead files for what you think about what someone else thinks.

• Haha 4

Love love love Joan Blondell-she's sweet, tart, sexy and adorable. MrTiki calls her "saucer eyes". I'm recording quite a few today for later viewing.

I really like her in serious roles too, she somehow cheered people through the Depression, then WW2.

Blondell, Joan_01.jpg

• Like 6

And somehow Dick Powell preferred June Allyson and her raspy voice to sweet Joan. I'll just never get that.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why should I give two dead files for what you think about what someone else thinks.

And back and forth and on and on....  :D  And of course, you(as usual) missed the point,  so what does it matter.

And why should we care?  ;) 

Sepiatone

LOVE Blondell.  Only got to see three of the films. 

Smarty (1934) - Does anyone else think this movie is insane?  I love it, but wow!

The Kid From Kokomo (1939) - I loved every minute of it.  Not quite enough standout Blondell, but May Robson was soooooo fantastic as Maggie / Ma.  She was over 80 too.  She was great.  Everybody was great, just maybe could have had more with Blondell.

Traveling Saleslady (1935) - This one was okay.  Blondell was great, but I can't say it is a new favorite.

So what is the protocol here?  I noticed people talked about the marathon, but not much after it started or since.   Being a newbie I don't really know if everyone just talks about how great the upcoming event is and then disperses until they mention something about the individual films elsewhere or what.  Just curious.  I trying to learn the ebb and flow of these forums.

7 minutes ago, Looney said:

So what is the protocol here?  I noticed people talked about the marathon, but not much after it started or since.   Being a newbie I don't really know if everyone just talks about how great the upcoming event is and then disperses until they mention something about the individual films elsewhere or what.  Just curious.  I trying to learn the ebb and flow of these forums.

There really isn't any protocol. What you say is true, that oftentimes there will be a lot of posts about a movie or theme coming up, and then when it happens, no one talks about it again. Other times, no one will mention an upcoming movie, but then a day after it airs, someone will bring it up, and then a whole slew of people will discuss it. It's unpredictable. About the only thread that regularly discusses a movie soon after it airs is the Noir Alley thread on Sundays and Mondays (and sometimes longer).

Just say what you want to say, and others may or may not respond to it. 

• Thanks 1

I watched God's Gift to Women.  I forgot to mention earlier that Laura LaPlante, a popular silent actress (Cat and the Canary) who made a few talkies was the co-star and it was directed by Michael Curtiz.  Laura was quite good.  I thought someone with more sex appeal would be better than Frank Fay; someone more believable as a descendant of Don Juan.  John Barrymore, maybe?  Errol Flynn?  Still, there were some funny lines that wouldn't have been allowed when the Code came in.  Also, different women on the bed with Fay in non-sexual situations and nobody has a foot on the floor!  How daring!  How refreshing!  Joan was beautiful and more than held her own.  It was nice to see (and hear) Louise Brooks in something other than the Pabst films.  Interesting:  in party/night club scenes there were two brunette women extras with Louise's hairdo from her Pabst days and there was Louise with her famous bob but no bangs.  Clothes and sets were great.  I'm glad I saw it; it didn't stink.

• Like 3

I just want to add my 2 cents to the conversation.......I love Joan Blondell!!!!!!

Thanks!

• Like 1

I recorded GODS GIFT TO WOMEN '31 mainly to see Frank Fay too. I also recorded KID FROM KOKOMO '39 because it's the only other Blondell movie I don't already have. Can't wait to watch this Blondell double feature!

On 7/2/2018 at 10:52 AM, Sepiatone said:

Ach!  Here we go again!

Sepiatone

You kill me, Sepia and yet I actually agree with you. I only read film critics mostly to get some idea of the storyline of a film before I might choose to see it, if I've not heard about it already. The majority around now, are just venting their personal opinions and would probably say Moliere's plays were not very interesting and one should stay home instead.

And even old criticism is only as good as the critic is to his knowledge of the subject, which may be lacking entirely.

Besides a lot of films which were panned initially, later are seen to be classics and the reverse is true also. I do have respect for some film critics...but they are all dead!!!

On 7/1/2018 at 6:36 PM, lydecker said:

joanblondell.jpg

How can one not like her? She can do it all, and did for years.

As she aged, she also created a new type of film persona. My mother used to say Joan became a bit "blowsy" but made it work in character parts. She excelled in all films and had such high intensity and personality you can't take your eyes off her often in scenes. Joan deserves to be SOTM as you say, Lydecker!

• Like 4

Yeah, like I mentioned before, my Dad would say( and did) that he too, was a "fan" of Joan's,  claiming, "....she had those big, beautiful, ummm...errr.... EYES!"  :D  Sure, WE knew where he was going with that, but true too, it always WAS hard NOT to fall deeply into those gorgeous peepers;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 6:51 PM, calvinnme said:

And somehow Dick Powell preferred June Allyson and her raspy voice to sweet Joan. I'll just never get that.

Dick Powell supposedly had some gastrointestinal problems that were trying, and maybe June was more sympathetic?

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Dick Powell supposedly had some gastrointestinal problems that were trying, and maybe June was more sympathetic?

Not sure if you're joking or not,  but this is a solid answer regarding the question of  'why would X pick Y, over Z'.

I love Joan but we have no idea what it would be like to be married to her.   (and I can't stand June's screen persona,  but as a wife,  she might have been a loving and supporting partner).