BreeInGilbertAZ

Who would be interested in a Psyched about Sci-Fi course?

14 posts in this topic

I’m a huge sci-fi buff as well - and TCM has a great catalog of classic sci-fi. I think it would am awesome experience - including the evolution of special effects. Thoughts? 🤷🏻‍♀

• Like 1

I would have to pass because that's not my cup of tea. But my husband might be on board with it. He watches reruns of Star Trek (all versions, including the movies) and Wild Wild West (he calls it the Western James Bond) every chance he gets, and his favorite movies are Independence Day and a couple of others I can't think of.

2 minutes ago, BlueMoods said:

I would have to pass because that's not my cup of tea. But my husband might be on board with it. He watches reruns of Star Trek (all versions, including the movies) and Wild Wild West (he calls it the Western James Bond) every chance he gets, and his favorite movies are Independence Day and a couple of others I can't think of.

Independence Day? Ugh 😑 

• Haha 2

That's my reaction too, especially when a network airs it 20 times in 2 weeks and he watches it every time lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BlueMoods said:

That's my reaction too, especially when a network airs it 20 times in 2 weeks and he watches it every time lol

You poor girl. I was thinking about CLASSIC thinking-person’s sc-fi such as A Trip To The Moon, Metropolis, Things To Come, War Of The Worlds, Forbidden Planet, 2001: A Space Odyssey, THX-1138, Solaris, etc.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BreeInGilbertAZ said:

You poor girl. I was thinking about CLASSIC thinking-person’s sc-fi such as A Trip To The Moon, Metropolis, Things To Come, War Of The Worlds, Forbidden Planet, 2001: A Space Odyssey, THX-1138, Solaris, etc.

He likes them to, but I generally don't. He just likes the contemporary stuff a lot more.

11 minutes ago, BreeInGilbertAZ said:

Yes!!  I posted elsewhere that sci-fi isn't just about endless clashes and dogfights in space against some aliens/bad guys (yawn).  it's also about exploration, and humans interacting with technology (including computers and robots).   Think of 20,000 Leagues Under the SeaJourney to the Center of the Earth, War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Day After Tomorrow, On the Beach, The Time Machine, WarGames, Fantastic Voyage, 1984, Fahrenheit 451 , Brazil, Dr. Strangelove, THX-1138, Soylent Green, Blade Runner, etc.   Apocalyptic societies, dystopias, and survival in other environments are part of sci-fi.   

(I'm not a fan of mutant monsters post A-bomb, but King Kong (1933) is okay)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pastiche said:

Yes!!  I posted elsewhere that sci-fi isn't just about endless clashes and dogfights in space against some aliens/bad guys (yawn).  it's also about exploration, and humans interacting with technology (including computers and robots).   Think of 20,000 Leagues Under the SeaJourney to the Center of the Earth, War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Day After Tomorrow, On the Beach, The Time Machine, WarGames, Fantastic Voyage, 1984, Fahrenheit 451 , Brazil, Dr. Strangelove, THX-1138, Soylent Green, Blade Runner, etc.   Apocalyptic societies, dystopias, and survival in other environments are part of sci-fi.   

(I'm not a fan of mutant monsters post A-bomb, but King Kong (1933) is okay)

Your selections would be mine, Pastiche. It has to be in the TCM catalog, but I think they have access to 20,000 Leagues. Blade Runner is not yet in their catalog, nor is Day After Tomorrow or War Games. Not sure of On The Beach - not seen it on TCM that I can remember unless a longgg time ago. TCM has a great book about 50 must-see Sci-Fi movies, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t consider this as a course.

• Like 1

There have been some good sci-fi movies in the past few years — Arrival  is one I can think of off the top of my head. But yes, I’d be up for a TCM Sci-fi course.   I’d like to see a few really bad old flicks  featured as well, like Queen of Outer Space.

• Like 1

The restored version of Metropolis is one of my favorite films. I've seen it so often I can read most of the German dialogue on the actors' lips.

A Mad Science course? I'd be all over that like butter on a duck!

• Like 1

Sci-Fi would be great.  I would also like to see a course on Swashbucklers / Adventure films, famous leading men / heartthrobs, women in flim, Westerns, animation, war in film ... I could go on and on.  The possibilities are endless.  What I hope NOT to see are courtroom or crime dramas -- the former is boring and the latter tends to be violent.  

I would love to take a course on the history of Sci Fi films.  I'm also hoping for a course on the history of horror films.  There are a lot of great (and, truthfully, some not so great) films in TCM's library in both categories.  It would be a lot of fun to explore the development of these genres.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Languorous Lass said:

There have been some good sci-fi movies in the past few years — Arrival  is one I can think of off the top of my head. But yes, I’d be up for a TCM Sci-fi course.   I’d like to see a few really bad old flicks  featured as well, like Queen of Outer Space.

Yes! Arrival (2016) is, IMHO, one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever.  The Martian (2015) is also excellent as is District 9 (2009).  And Contact (1997).  Twenty-one years old now, but at my age it still seems like a "recent" film.  And the original Blade Runner (1982) would probably be about as far as a TCM course would go.  But last year's Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - NOT SO MUCH!

Oh.  And to add to your second category: Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)

Edited by GeezerNoir
Additional information