Sign in to follow this  
rainingviolets21

By Any Other Name..

3,022 posts in this topic

*Fanny Brice sang "Quainty, Dainty Me in "Everybody Sing"*

And here she is:

We've got some more catching up to do. Here's Dean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtmsIq0-T54

Here's Bud and Lou in their first movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrvgTCWozQ

And one of my favorites from Stan and Ollie from "Way Out West".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBlYDmTzic8

Stan's bass voice is supplied by Chill Wills, and his soprano voice is from Rosina Lawrence, both of whom were in the movie. Now try this:

The Gershwins Wrote "I'll Build _______ __________way To Paradise" To _____ Fro Baseball Hall Of Famer __________ Hornsby Both Patti Page And Teresa Brewer Had Hits With "Let Me _____, Lover" Linda Blair Starred In "_________ Boogie" Sonja Henie Won Olympic Gold In Figure __________ The Gold Digger's Anthem Was "We're _____ The Money" "Seek And Ye _________ Find" "You Were On My Mind" Was A Hit Song For "______ Five" + Bud And Lou's Last Movie Together Was "___________ With Me, Henry"

What song did they sing?

Astaire and Rogers go roller skating in Shall We Dance...to Let's Call the Whole Thing Off.

Phil Silvers sang "Yes we_____ no bananas Swedish group __bba 2012 Denzel Washington film ____ House ex NY governor and wife Nelson ___ _____ Rockefeller the public press is know as the ____ Estate movie sequel Son ___ Lassie Chris Cooper played ____ Johnson in Lonesome Dove.

*Have a Safe And Happy Fourth Of July*

Washington _________ Wrote "The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow" Milton _______ Was Known As Mr. Television ________ Anderson Sang "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden" Old Song "If I _____ ____ Talking Picture Of You" Tony Martin Starred In "_____ The Deck" Tony Martiin Sang "When I'm _____ You" In "The Poor Little Rich Girl" "The Year Of Living Dangerously" Was Directed By Peter ______ "________ Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" Actor _______ Rhames Was Featured In "Pulp Fiction" Eugene O'Neill Wrote "____, Wilderness" Miami's Pro Basketball Team Is Called The __________ + The S.S. Poseidon Was Hit by A Tidal __________

Two Tony Martin clues! This puzzle is appropriate for this season.

You're right! Irving Berlin had a hit with We're Having a Heatwave....holy smoke!!

Roy Hobbs was The ___ural the Cowardly Lion sings If I Were ___ of the Forest subject of De-Lovely ___ Porter Jolson ____ Again lyric from Let It Snow, " oh, ___ weather outside is frightful" The Donkey Serenade composer, Rudolf ____l biblical named Pontipee brother E____ + Neil Diamond hit ___ Sung Blue.

*Nat King Cole Sings The Frim Fram Song -* or more specifically, The Frim Fram Sauce song. Here it is:

Now try this:

A Male Turkey Is Called A _______ A Male Duck Is Called A _________ "Casey Would Waltz With The Strawberry Blonde, And The Band ______ On" Shirley Temple Starred In "The Poor Little ________ Girl" A Sharp Piece Of Broken Glass Is Called A _________ In "Northwest Passage", Spencer Tracy Leads ___________ Rangers "You're The Cream ____ My Coffee, You're The Salt In My Stew" "You're Just Too Marvelous, Too Marvelous For ________" "________ The Angels Sing" + On The TV Show "Rhoda", Carlton The Doorman Was Played By Lorenzo __________

Animal clues, song lyrics, movies, TV, something for everyone!

Thanks, Miles, I had the Frim Fram sauce for lunch. Yours: Tom Drake played Richard Rodgers in Words and Music.

Now, think back to "Don Juan is Shelved" : Katherine Hepburn film Stage ____ Cinderella had a Fair___ Godmother other half of singing duo Sonny and ____ Ezio Pinza starred as __mile De Becque song about Casey, And the Band _____ On patriotic song Battle ____ of the Republic Vincent VanGogh painted a ____ Portrait Gershwin classic Rhapsody ___ Blue Irving Berlin song, __ _____ A Piano writer Anita ___ the Village People hit Y M __ A

*Dore Schary Played Himself In "I Love Lucy"*

Archie Bunker's Wife He Played Mr.Roper On "Three's Company" In The Early Years, MGM Was Controlled By __________, Incorporated To _______ Fro "_______ We Now Our Gay Apparel" Gregory Peck Starred In "______ Gringo" "The ________ Shall Inherit The Earth" Shirley Temple's Role In "Captain January" "Old Man River, He Just Keeps Rolling _________" Robert Wise Directed "West _____ Story" Kurt Russell's Dad Gene Kelly Starred In "The ________ Of Lorraine" Doris In "Chartroose Caboose" Was Played By Molly ________ Jim Hawkins Worked At The Admiral Benbow ______ "The _____ Is Mightier Than The Sword" A Line From "Dames" Is "Their ________ In Action, That's The Attraction" Dinah Shore Was Featured In "Aaron Slick _______ Punkin Crick" + Gene Tierney Film "Leave Her To ___________"

This thread has been dormant for too long. We need to revive it.

I have yet to see this film...Now for the name of that march?? I don't know. Edith Fellows and Donald Meek star along side Bing Crosby in Pennies from Heaven. Here's a real oldy. You probably won't find anything on YouTube but it was recently released on DVD: Rbt Preston role on Broadway ____ & Mabel old cowboy Hoot Gib___ thriller with Sandra Bullock The _____ , dresses like a female spy Bing Crosby film Holiday ____ George M Cohen bio ______ _______ Dandy Glen Miller classic ___ The Mood composer of White Christmas was Irving ______.

This was meant to be a fun thread...sorry! It is Mack Sennet dresses like a female spy in Yankee Doodle in Berlin. Thread is open or retired, whichever is preferred.

It's embarrasing to say, but I kind of lost track of this thread. Since it's one of my favorites, I thought it might be worth saving from that dreaded page four extinction.

Eurasian Actress Once Married To Robert Culp Author Of "Brideshead Revisited" DeNiro Played A Priest In "______ Confessions" Claire Forlani Played Verity In "Mr. _______" "Lizzie Borden Took An _______ And Gave Her Mother Forty Whacks" "The ______ Of The Sixth Happiness" Robert Redford Stars In "Up ______ And Personal" Detective Mark Furman Was Discredited For Using The "___" Word Duimas Wrote "The ______ Of Monte Cristo" Taylor And Burton Starred In "Divorce His, Divorce ______" "The Biscuit Eater" Was About A Dog Who Was The Runt ___ _____ Litter Zither Music Highlighted The Score Of "The ________ Man" Herman's Hermits Sang "There's A ______ Of Hush All Over The World"

Some clues for everyone!

I wish everyone would join in for the fun. I'm going to have to look up The Biscuit Eater. Here's something I didn't know but do now: Francois Truffaut acts in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Here's more: Star of Pinky, _____ Crain orphan boys of Oliver ask for _____ gruel the king Phar____ had dreams of 7 fat cows along the Nile patriotic march _____ and Stripes Forever Marlene sang Falling _ Love Again mini series about the Raj, ____ in the Crown Steve McQueen film The _____ Pebbles + Peter O'Toole title role Lord ____.

Jeanne Moreau Stars In Jules And Jim - One of those foreign films with sub-titles that I saw in my younger days. Now, try this one.

"It Seems That Happiness Is Just A Thing Called ______" William Holden Starred In "The Remarkable __________" "_____ The Angels Sing" Laura Petrie's Favorite Cry Was "Oh, _______" Ernie's Friend On "Sesame Street" Johnny Cash Sang "I _____ The Line" Tom Selleck Film "_______ Alibi" In The Fifties, The Elegants Sang "Where Are You, Little _________?" Cole Porter Wrote "So ______ Love" "___________ Is Mine, Saith The Lord" He Played Hackensacker In "The Palm Beach Story"

We have clues from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. There's also a real old one from the bible. Something for everyone!.

Edited by: MilesArcher on Sep 4, 2012 7:33 PM

Even if you don't have another one to post, please try to solve this one, so we can move on.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}"It Seems That Happiness Is Just A Thing Called ______" William Holden Starred In "The Remarkable __________" "_____ The Angels Sing" Laura Petrie's Favorite Cry Was "Oh, _______" Ernie's Friend On "Sesame Street" Johnny Cash Sang "I _____ The Line" Tom Selleck Film "_______ Alibi" In The Fifties, The Elegants Sang "Where Are You, Little _________?" Cole Porter Wrote "So ______ Love" "___________ Is Mine, Saith The Lord" He Played Hackensacker In "The Palm Beach Story"{font}

Give it a shot!

Of course. If you just looked up "Vengeance Valley" on IMDB or Wikipedia, you would know that it was "Joanne Dru And Robert Walker Star In Vengeance Valley". The only thing remotely tricky was that the first two clues were Joe + Andrew for Joanne Dru. In the fifties, The Elegants had a hit song called "Little Star", and "The Palm Beach Story" with Rudy Vallee as Hackensacker, has been shown on TCM twice very recently. I try to give enough of a frame of reference so that if you don't know the answer to a clue, you should be able to look it up rather easily. OK now, Lonesome, or anyone else, it's time to see if you can come up with a puzzle to post. Try it. It's not that difficult.

Yeah I figured out the "Robert Walker in Vengeance Valley"-- it was the "Joanna Dru" that was beyond my brain. But I got "Joe" which led me to "Joanna Dru". And I agree-- these things aren't that hard to write. They're just fun. I hope others try it too.

Next stars and a film title (which for some reason has lots of '70s references):

THE STING & JAWS actor _ Shaw Spencer Tracy was Capt. ___pepper In IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD and _ King Cole British expression "____ Ho!" SINGIN' IN THE RAIN song "_ You?" and ET's best friend 32 SHORT FILMS ABOUT GLENN _ +and Peter Pan said, "To _ would be an awfully big adventure" _ OF GREEN GABLES In THE HUNGER GAMES, what fires when a tribute dies in "The __ Newhart Show" PAT _ MIKE "The _ Burnett Show" _ THEN THERE WERE NONE Mary Tyler Moore's anchor man _ Baxter HAROLD _ MAUDE + _ IN WONDERLAND

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on Sep 17, 2012 3:44 PM

Robert Culp and Natalie Wood and Elloitt Gould and Dyan Cannon in "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" . - Lots of "Ands" in that one! Terrific job, Polecat. Now everyone try this one.

Tom Cruise Starred In "_____ and Away" Sean Connery Starred In "The _______ Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" Fran Striker Created The Radio Series "The Lone _______" Dion Sang A Song Called "Abraham, Martin, _____ _________" Julie Newmar Starred In TV's "My Living ______" Jane Wyman Made Her Final Movie Appearance In "How To _______ Marraige" Dick Powell Starred In "_______, My Sweet" A Hit Song From "Bells Are Ringing" Is "______ In Time" Heath Ledger Was In A Remake Of "The _____ Feathers" In The Song "At Last", Etta James Sings "I Found ______ _______ To Press My Cheek To" Early Rodgers And Hart Hit Song "______ The Mountain Greenery" + Peter Lorre Plays Toady In "_____ Of Sand"

Movies, songs, TV, and radio clues - what more could you ask for?

Great clues plus you made me sing while trying to come of with "a thrill": You have Farley Granger and John Dall commit murder just for a thrill in Rope.

Now: Roz Russell had a ____ter Eileen Franklin Pangborn costarred in Romance On The High _____ Take This Job and Shove It country singer Johnny _____ Casey Waltzed with a Strawberry Blonde while the Band _____ On Dean Martin song title I Don't ____ if the Sun Don't Shine + she played Carla on Cheers ____a Perlman.

Sissy Spacek played Carrie (very clever!)

next:

___ Duvall the aliens in WAR OF THE WORLDS didn't understand ___ Code "__ the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening" in SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS, Brother #6 "the ___ of two evils" ALICE__ RESTAURAUNT ___ __ MURDER YOUR WIFE Avenue Q song "It ___s To Be Me" THE BAD ___ THE ___ OF SIXTH HAPPINESS Irene Molloy hates the millinery ___ Eliza Doolittle sings "There'll be spring every year ___ you" SINGIN' IN THE RAIN quote "Mr Brown, do you ___ think you can get me into the movies?" "__ to remember the kind of September" THE K__ AND I

Great range on your clues: Robert Morse in Frank Loesser's HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINES WITHOUT REALLY TRYING.

Here's another: Old lyrics about the bumble bee, ____ around, keep a buzzin' round Opie Taylor's Aunt _ Glinda the good witch was played by Billie ____ Nat King Cole hit Mona _____a THE CARDINAL player Tom ____on The Mad Hatter drank tea from a ____ Norma Shearer film _ Women + WW II series ____ of Brothers.

Busby Berkeley's "Strike Up The Band" - Some very nice clues.

Fifties TV Slapstick Comic, Pinky __________ Also In Fifties TV, _________ Miller Played The Emissary Of John Beresford Tipton Famous Salt Company Slogan, "When It Rains, It _______" Cole Porter Wrote "It's Too Darn _____" Old Song Lyrics "Managua Nicaragua Is A Wonderful Spot, With ________ And Bananas And The Temperature Hot" "We Were Sailing Along, _______ Moonlight Bay" "___________ In Excelsis Deo" ____________ Kerr Was Known As "The Galloping Gourmet" The Five Satins Had A Hit With "______ _______ Still Of The Night" Jimmy Dean Sang About "______ Bad John" William Hurt Should Never Have Trusted Kathleen Turner In "Body _______"

Some very warm clues here!

Warm must look good on the east coast: I just saw this so I know Lee Marvin pours hot coffee on Gloria Graham in The Big Heat. That was fun

next: Old radio show, Fibber McGee and ____ song title of Don MacLean's American ___ Bugle Ann was a ___ hunting hound dog Casey waltzed as the Band ____ On Porter song, So __ Love cowboy song ___ppee ki-yay git along little dogie children sing The Farmer in the ____ film To Sir ___ Love Eddy Howard sang To Each ____ Own + lacrosse players use _____sticks.

ecclectic batch of clues here.