Sign in to follow this  
pedall4159

Who Would You Be?

76 posts in this topic

I've pondered over this type of question a lot and I just wonder what everyone else thinks. I often fight with myself over which actor or actress I would have liked to live as. I've probably given the idea far too much thought but nevertheless I think I have come up with an answer-Ingrid Bergman. My "why's" are typical I guess and I hate to sound so usual in my reasoning. I'm not even sure of my exaxt thoughts on the subject and as soon as I can identify them, they will be posted. Please forgive my vagueness and my interest in knowing what you all think, but after all this is why we have a forum.. I think it's appropriate to a submit a disclaimer: be wary as these are the types of questions I will probably ask in the future. Sorry to anyone, including myself, who has been asked this infantile sort of a question one too many times. Well, anyway the topic is what actor or actress would you have liked to live as. I look forward to your responses!

Pedall

pedall,

Interesting question so i'll take a crack at this.Since boyhood,I have been a big fan of "b" westerns and serials.When playing Cowboys and Indians,I wanted to be a bad guy. One bad guy I copied was Lon Chaney Jr.He was usually the bad guy supreme.While most of my friends wanted to be Roy Rogers or Gene Autry,I wanted to be a villian.Strange but true.

Eeesch! I'd never want to live as anyone else. My life isn't perfect or even great, but I'm me, damnit!

I would probably like to be either George Burns or Bob Hope since they lived to be a 100 years old.

Mongo

the 30's Fred Astaire

The 30's & 40's James Stewart

the 40's & 50's Cary Grant

the 50's & 60's Steve McQueen

the 70's Clint Eastwood

the 80's Harrison Ford

the 90's Tom Hanks

the 00's ? maybe someone out of the Lord of the Ring cast.

I would love to have been apart of that series.

Orlando Bloom? we'll see how the rest of the

decade goes for him. Pirates is a pretty

good start

The first one that comes to my mind is Cary Grant, since he worked with almost every beautiful woman in Hollywood! And he seems to have had a nice life. Another choice would be Orson Welles, since he was married to Rita Hayworth (yum yum) and I would love to know what it's like to be a genius. Still another choice would be Frank Sinatra, since out of any star I can think of, I look up to him the most, and he had such an exhilarating life! I don't think there was a dull moment once - good or bad. And to be able to sing like that! And he went from being a nobody who almost lost his career in the 50's to a living legend - that must be an incredible feeling. And basically he knew how to enjoy himself, had a lot of friends, and I think had a very full life.

A few: David Niven, Errol Flynn (actually I look a bit like combination of both) then 2 more; Clifton Webb and Claude Rains--

how about that selection??

Leo

Orson Welles. Though one movie, it was contreversial, well acted, and many more aspects. Maybe i just like the movie, or his life style of living on the edge... well i guess that answers the question.

There isn't anyone else I'd rather be, since everyone has their share of ups and downs in their life, BUT there are some whose careers/roles I would've liked to have.

Katharine Hepburn--what a long career she had and she played such a variety of great roles

Ginger Rogers--I would've loved to dance with Fred Astaire, and her non-musical roles in STAGE DOOR, KITTY FOYLE, THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR were great, too.

Judy Garland--wouldn't want to live her sad personal life, but boy, would I love to be able to sing like that!

Sandy K

Hmmm, this one's a real thinker... After careful thought I'd be Audrey Hepburn. She's just SO classic! Even though she was an immensely popular actress (and still is today) she always had an air about her that screamed "I'm a real person". She was just so down to earth. Plus, all her work with UNICEF and her children's funds.

Then again, Marilyn Monroe...'cause she was loved by many and she was a total sex kitten!

Strange, but interesting question. I don't think there's any celebrity I would trade places with, though I would, of course, like to have their money. Now if you asked what MOVIE CHARACTER I would like to be, I'd have an answer. So, Pedall, how about posting that one sometime?

Your fantasy over Ingrid Bergman reminds me of something she said in her autobiography. She confessed that she set a goal for herself at one time to sleep with a man of every race, creed and color. Does this have anything to do with you wanting to be her? I'm always thinking....;)

I'd like to be like Deborah Kerr or Greer Garson. Very British/Scottish/Irish but look like they'd be fun gals.

Interesting question. Today I would be Clea DuVall. I would've loved to have been Jean Harlow, except for her health problems at the end of her life and her domineering mother.

LON CHANEY (sr.), minus the lung cancer, of course. I just thought he put so much craft and integrity into his work. You see so many stars these days just playing themselves or extensions of themselves, but how many screen stars these days can literally transform themselves and become the character they are portraying. There are some, but I just think character actors are the TRUE unsung heroes of cinema. Then AND now!

You saw that not only was Lon Chaney obsessing over his characters, he really seem to be enjoying himself in the process. He was a cerebral and thoughtful actor, and who wouldn't want to live life with such passion and joy for their work?

My second choice would probably be Chaplin, but after reading a few biographies on him, well, he led a pretty screwed up life despite being the obvious genius he was. To have the kind of fame he had, well, it would probably mess anyone up. Having said all that, I am pretty happy just being myself, flaws and all......

keithfromkc,

Im glad to see a post from someone who appreciates Chaney sr. as much as I do.I 've just purchased The Chaney collection on DVD and am looking forward to watching them.Chaney was an actor who could take any role and make it his own.He and Tom Mix are two of my favorite silent actors.

Who: Katharine Hepburn Why: Don't get me started. I'll never stop.

"If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased."

Roldfilm,

I also enjoy knowing there are other people who are as passionate about the work of Lon Chaney as I am. I do hope you enjoy that Chaney dvd collection. I have it too and as much as I love it, there are just so many other, lesser-known Chaney films I'd like to see released on dvd. This is just the tip of the iceberg. We Chaney fans will take what we can get though.......

Gail Russell. After seeing her story on E! Mysteries & Scandels I was fascinated with her life. I have tried to see as many of her movies as possible. It's hard to believe that she suffered from stage fright and became alcholic and died at 36. She was very talented and pretty. I would want to be her and had never tasted alcohol. I/she would have been very famous. I can't wait until April 23 to see her only husband Guy Madison in a movie, to see who she married. She like myself was artistic and shy.

Although I wouldn't want to be her, for obvious reasons, I would love to look like Vivien Leigh. She is such a classic beauty!

Mae West! She seemed like she knew how to have a good time!

Quote: "It's not the men in my life that counts-- it's the life in my men." ;)

Need I say more? :D

I don't know who I'd be. I'd probably be Audrey Hepburn, cuz she's lovely and can be proper or a tomboy too. Or Katharine Hepburn cuz she's tough and won't take any crap from anyone.