Sign in to follow this  
miki

West Side Story at the Regal Stadium Cinema 13 Fenway--Boston, MA

1 post in this topic

The film West Side Story just had a national re-release of it, in a number of selected movie theatres, nationwide, on June 24th, and on June 27th.  Not knowing how the film would do, I bought tickets for myself, my sister-in-law, and a longtime good friend of mine for the evening show on Sunday, June 24th, and for myself on Wednesday evening, on June 27th.  

None of us were disappointed;  we were all very happily surprised and  amazed, in fact.  The print of West Side Story was absolutely pristine, and the soundtrack was not only perfect, but it was powerful and in one's face, like it's supposed to be.  The seats in the theatre were stadium-type seats that one could sit back, and to also stretch out our legs on, and be as comfortable as we wanted to be.

There are so many different emotions in West Side Story, and the fact that they're told so intensely, accurately and competently by dance, and emphasized by colorful costumes, lots of bright colors, especially red, and a very intensely special, and colorful cinematography, not to mention a powerful and intensely brilliant musical score is one of the very things that is West Side Story's strength, on screen, as well as on stage.  Everybody in the movie theatre, including ourselves, thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and it was so worth going to see.  

I'll be going to see the film West Side Story again, with a live rendition of the musical score by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, at Tanglewood, out in Lenox, MA, which is out in the Berkshires, on July 28th, and again, in mid to late August, at the Brattle Theatre, in Cambridge, MA.   I love this film so much, and would absolutely hate to see it disappear into the  dustbin of history due to Spielberg's and Kushner's re-make of it.