Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

Dick Powell as SOTM December 2018

33 posts in this topic

No preference between these two, but if it's Warren William I'll be pretty skeptical that the 'vote' really matters (versus the effect of programmers' thumbs on the scale.) He's got some interesting movies, many of which will have been seen in the Glenda Farrell series during November. Raising the profile of Farrell and William would/will certainly have advantages for promoting films in the archive. in particular the so-called 'pre-code' stuff.

2 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

No preference between these two, but if it's Warren William I'll be pretty skeptical that the 'vote' really matters (versus the effect of programmers' thumbs on the scale.) He's got some interesting movies, many of which will have been seen in the Glenda Farrell series during November. Raising the profile of Farrell and William would/will certainly have advantages for promoting films in the archive. in particular the so-called 'pre-code' stuff.

Interesting comment. Maybe they went ahead and made Farrell the Star of the Month in November, because they already could tell by the voting that Warren William lost and they could put some of his films on in November...is that what you are suggesting?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting comment. Maybe they went ahead and made Farrell the Star of the Month in November, because they already could tell by the voting that Warren William lost and they could put some of his films on in November...is that what you are suggesting?

No, but it makes sense that way too.

I mean that Farrell and William represent a good number of old WB titles in the archive, titles that don't necessarily draw a lot of interest from less-hardcore or recent arrival fans. If they can raise their profiles, they can generate more interest in those titles.

Dick Powell, by the way, can be packaged in various ways (musicals, noir, director) so there are advantages there too. But, William seems very obscure to me (even as someone who has seen almost all his movies) so I'm skeptical that he would 'win' a straight-up vote.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

No, but it makes sense that way too.

I mean that Farrell and William represent a good number of old WB titles in the archive, titles that don't necessarily draw a lot of interest from less-hardcore or recent arrival fans. If they can raise their profiles, they can generate more interest in those titles.

Dick Powell, by the way, can be packaged in various ways (musicals, noir, director) so there are advantages there too. But, William seems very obscure to me (even as someone who has seen almost all his movies) so I'm skeptical that he would 'win' a straight-up vote.

I would expect Backlot members to vote on actors that are obscure to them,  since they wish to see films from that actor.   To learn more about that actor.   I.e.  a primary criteria for a 'yes' vote should be to provide more exposure to said actor and the films they were in. 

So my POV is that the actor that 'deserves' the TCM SOTM tribute is the one that is least well known to studio-era movie lovers.

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I would expect Backlot members to vote on actors that are obscure to them,  since they wish to see films from that actor.   To learn more about that actor.   I.e.  a primary criteria for a 'yes' vote should be to provide more exposure to said actor and the films they were in. 

So my POV is that the actor that 'deserves' the TCM SOTM tribute is the one that is least well known to studio-era movie lovers.

There are probably different reasons why Backlot members make the choices they do. But your theory could have merit, especially since the two different times they were given the option of Bette Davis or someone else, they chose someone else (probably because Bette's films often air on TCM).

I also think frequent costars plays into it. For example, if members were given the option of choosing between Jeanette MacDonald or Greer Garson, they know it's also a matter of choosing between Nelson Eddy and Walter Pidgeon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

There are probably different reasons why Backlot members make the choices they do. But your theory could have merit, especially since the two different times they were given the option of Bette Davis or someone else, they chose someone else (probably because Bette's films often air on TCM).

I also think frequent costars plays into it. For example, if members were given the option of choosing between Jeanette MacDonald or Greer Garson, they know it's also a matter of choosing between Nelson Eddy and Walter Pidgeon.

I'm assume Backlot members are more sophisticated then your average bear as it relates to 'classic'  (studio-era),  movies and therefore they think about their selection based much more than just 'I favor A over B'.  

You mention a solid reason for doing so with 'frequent corstars' which also is linked to the movie studio the actor was under contract with (e.g. the supporting players used) and of course ease of access to films by TCM (which was mentioned by the other poster but related to TCM trying to promote films owned by their parent to increase 'exposure' and thus DVD sales,  which I don't think TCM considers).

Note that one of the primary reasons I wanted William was to get his Columbia Lone Wolf films to be shown on TCM.        

Hopefully in the future the Backlot members will have a choice of someone with films by Republic,  United Artist and other studios,  and this will 'push' TCM to lease  more films from those studios. 

• Like 1

6th of december
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 2.54.45 PM.jpg
a midsummer night's dream (1935) with olivia de havilland
the king's vacation (1933) with george arliss
college coach (1933) with pat o'brien
blessed event (1932) with lee tracy
42nd street (1933) with warner baxter
footlight parade (1933) with james cagney
gold diggers of 1933 (1933) with warren william
gold diggers of 1935 (1935) with gloria stuart
gold diggers of 1937 (1936) with joan blondell