Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

Dick Powell as SOTM December 2018

34 posts in this topic

For the third year in a row, TCM Backlot members will select December's Star of the Month. This year, the two options to choose from are Dick Powell and Warren William, pictured below with Joan Blondell in GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933.

Image result for warren william dick powell

Who would you like to see as Star of the Month in December? 

I don't like these competitions to be honest. There was a lot of that going on in the Musicals course. This dancer versus that dancer. This singer versus that singer. Why not enjoy both of them?

Maybe they can rethink these Backlot contests. And make it about which guy goes first. Do two weeks of Dick Powell and two weeks of Warren William. The members can vote which one is featured in weeks one and two and which one is featured in weeks three and four. Then everyone wins because both actors are chosen.

We just saw a bunch of Dick Powell musicals plus he's been on Noir Alley twice recently,  Nothing against Powell, but I would also vote for Warren William, mainly for his wonderfully naughty performances in so many precodes.  Besides, maybe TCM could then run THE WOLF MAN again - Warren has a supporting role!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

We just saw a bunch of Dick Powell musicals plus he's been on Noir Alley twice recently,  Nothing against Powell, but I would also vote for Warren William, mainly for his wonderfully naughty performances in so many precodes.  Besides, maybe TCM could then run THE WOLF MAN again - Warren has a supporting role!

It would be great if TCM showed the Lone Wolf series from Columbia Pictures.    GET-TV featured this and I enjoyed it.   Many of the films featured young talent that the studio was grooming;  E.g.  Lone Wolf Spy Hunt features Ida Lupino and Rita Hayworth.    While Eric Blore wasn't in this first Wolf film he was the sidekick for the other ones.

• Like 4

FWIW, this should mean that the October and November SOTMs will be women: for the 10 months of 2018 for which SOTM is offered, 5 have featured men and 2 have featured women, and TCM is nothing if not an equal opportunity enterprise.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

FWIW, this should mean that the October and November SOTMs will be women: for the 10 months of 2018 for which SOTM is offered, 5 have featured men and 2 have featured women, and TCM is nothing if not an equal opportunity enterprise.

Typically they pick male horror stars for October. But I can see a female star honored in November.

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Typically they pick male horror stars for October. But I can see a female star honored in November.

We'll see . . . 

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'd like Barbara Steele for October, but I don't think they have enough movies to fill a month. Maybe they could air The Winds of War in its entirety. :lol:

Actually, a nice idea would be Scream Queens, and they could show horror films with a strong female presence. I know that it would still annoy the anti-horror snobs, but that makes it just that much more enjoyable.

But it will probably be June Allyson, just to annoy me.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I'd like Barbara Steele for October, but I don't think they have enough movies to fill a month. Maybe they could air The Winds of War in its entirety. :lol:

Actually, a nice idea would be Scream Queens, and they could show horror films with a strong female presence. I know that it would still annoy the anti-horror snobs, but that makes it just that much more enjoyable for me.

But it will probably be June Allyson, just to annoy me.

I'd like a month of scream queens, that would be fun. But I'm a June Allyson fan too. So I wouldn't scream if she was honored again.

5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I'm getting a strong inkling that Bette Davis might get her third SOTM tribute in October.....

What is causing you to think this?

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

What is causing you to think this?

In the public's eye, she has the "horror" tie-in with her films like Baby Jane, Dead Ringer, Sweet Charlotte, and The Nanny (not to mention the lesser known Burnt Offerings and Watcher in the Woods), so in keeping with the last few Octobers, she would fit in, and also it makes sense because there have been so few female SOTMs this year....

29 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

In the public's eye, she has the "horror" tie-in with her films like Baby Jane, Dead Ringer, Sweet Charlotte, and The Nanny (not to mention the lesser known Burnt Offerings and Watcher in the Woods), so in keeping with the last few Octobers, she would fit in, and also it makes sense because there have been so few female SOTMs this year....

I can go along with your reasoning on this. I guess it depends on when she was last honored as Star of the Month. But I still think they'll pick a male horror star, or else do a group Star of the Month since there hasn't been one of those this year.

44 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I can go along with your reasoning on this. I guess it depends on when she was last honored as Star of the Month. But I still think they'll pick a male horror star, or else do a group Star of the Month since there hasn't been one of those this year.

Note that TCM programmers might select Bette because Loy was selected over her by backlot members????

Just another wild stab in the dark.

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note that TCM programmers might select Bette because Loy was selected over her by backlot members????

Just another wild stab in the dark.

The films CinemaInternational mentioned will likely be scheduled in October even if Bette is not Star of the Month.

On 7/8/2018 at 12:39 AM, CinemaInternational said:

I'm getting a strong inkling that Bette Davis might get her third SOTM tribute in October.....

Another interesting choice might be Elsa Lanchester, though as someone who doesn't regularly seek out horror films, I am not sure if she's in any other horror films aside from Bride of Frankenstein.

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Another interesting choice might be Elsa Lanchester, though as someone who doesn't regularly seek out horror films, I am not sure if she's in any other horror films aside from Bride of Frankenstein.

Would TCM's programmers consider her a big enough star?

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Would TCM's programmers consider her a big enough star?

I assume no;  I.e. more SUTS than SOTM.    

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume no;  I.e. more SUTS than SOTM.    

That's what I think. They did an evening spotlight on her for the Essentials, when Obsorne was still on the air. They started with THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN then showed PASSPORT TO DESTINY (a rare feature film where she was the lead) and I think they also included WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION. So she has been honored.

• Like 1

A great film starring Dick Powell is on YouTube.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 4.25.12 PM.jpg

TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH (1948)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

A great film starring Dick Powell is on YouTube.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 4.25.12 PM.jpg

TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH (1948)

Yes,   To The Ends of The Earth is a fine film,  but isn't that Micheline Cheirel in the photo with Powell from the film Cornered?

23 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,   To The Ends of The Earth is a fine film,  but isn't that Micheline Cheirel in the photo with Powell from the film Cornered?

You may be right. The photo came up on a Yahoo images search for TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH, but yes, it might be a shot from CORNERED instead.

If Dick Powell is chosen I'd like to see a night devoted to his noir pictures. They include:

MURDER MY SWEET
CORNERED
JOHNNY O'CLOCK
TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH
PITFALL
ROGUES' REGIMENT
CRY DANGER

• Like 2

Maybe we'll find out this week which one was chosen? I would think the December schedule should be available soon...