Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

Goldfinger, the best Bond film?

58 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, EricJ said:

And the scene where he tells an Indian tiger "Sit!", and it immediately does...Ohh, the humor.

I don't remember that moment. Probably just as well.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

And the scene where he tells an Indian tiger "Sit!", and it immediately does...Ohh, the humor.

Still not as bad as Bond's escape from menacing alligators and crocodiles in "Live and Let Die" (1973).

19 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Still not as bad as Bond's escape from menacing alligators and crocodiles in "Live and Let Die" (1973)

When the Blu-rays first came out, I remember watching going back through the whole series to watch the making-of featurettes--
Apparently, the Croc-step took five takes for the stuntman to film.  Even worse, the crocs had no idea what was happening at first, but by the fifth take, they were starting to catch on...It just adds to the drama that they were ready for him.  ?

It's definitely one of the best of the series, although admittedly I have not seen any of the last 4 films in the series. Saw the first 20 over a few months back in 2010, and at the time, I found Goldfinger to be the best, followed by The Living Daylights, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and For Your Eyes Only.

• Like 1

I personally think Goldfinger is more a series of brilliant images--Bond getting out of his wetsuit to reveal he's perfectly clad in a three piece suit, Shirley Eaton covered in gold paint, Oddjob using his hat, Bond bound to a table while a laser plans to bisect him, Oddjob being electrocuted--than a really first rate movie.  (Having Goldfinger drag Bond across the Atlantic Ocean to where his plan is going to be is where the movie really lost it for me.)  By contrast Skyfall, the last Bond film I've seen, actually has real weight.  For once the deaths mean something, the villain has a creditable motive, and Moneypenny has something useful to do.

12 hours ago, skimpole said:

I personally think Goldfinger is more a series of brilliant images--Bond getting out of his wetsuit to reveal he's perfectly clad in a three piece suit, Shirley Eaton covered in gold paint, Oddjob using his hat, Bond bound to a table while a laser plans to bisect him, Oddjob being electrocuted--than a really first rate movie.  (Having Goldfinger drag Bond across the Atlantic Ocean to where his plan is going to be is where the movie really lost it for me.)  By contrast Skyfall, the last Bond film I've seen, actually has real weight.  For once the deaths mean something, the villain has a creditable motive, and Moneypenny has something useful to do.

But OTOH, you have Gert "Baron Bomburst" Frobe as Auric "Why no, Mr. Bond..." Goldfinger, vs. Skyfall's wispy-lispy toothless (literally and figuratively) Javier Vardem, who looks and sounds uncannily like SNL's Al Franken "Stuart Smalley" character turned Bond-villain:

40037314?size=476x268

"You left me behind on that mission, but you know what?  That's okay...I decided, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, I LIKE myself!"

(I agree, however, on Skyfall successfully modernizing Moneypenny without getting obnoxious about it, and Spectre for avoiding temptation and not making her the new Jinx of the series.)

18 hours ago, skimpole said:

By contrast Skyfall, the last Bond film I've seen, actually has real weight.  For once the deaths mean something, the villain has a creditable motive, and Moneypenny has something useful to do.

I thought "Skyfall" was pretty good, though like most of the recent Bond films, WAY too long. There have been tragic deaths before in the series (Aki in "You Only Live Twice", Tracy in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", Vijay in "Octopussy"). I have not seen it since it's release in 2012 and I can't even recall the villain's plan. I like Naomie Harris as Moneypenny but I was disappointed there was no romance between her and Bond. My favorite part was seeing the Aston Martin again, the audience agreed, they went wild at that scene!