Sign in to follow this  
Monik

A tribute to Yul Brynner

78 posts in this topic

MissGoddess, those 2 photos of Yul are nice. I've never seen him in "The Sound and the Fury", though I heard many things about it. Maybe someone will release it someday on DVD, because it's a very good film.

Yul looks young in the first photo. He was very handsome, but I think that being bald helped him impress the audience, much more than if he remained with hair. He had very beautiful eyes and a sensual mouth.

Message was edited by: Monik

*_Yul Brynner on Tv September 2008:_*

AMC Tue, Sep 9, 8:00 PM _The Magnificent Seven_

AMC Wed, Sep 10, 5:15 PM _The Magnificent Seven_

AMC Sat, Sep 13, 12:00 PM _The Magnificent Seven_

TCM Tue, Sep 16, 8:00 PM _The King and I_

TCM Tue, Sep 16, 10:30 PM _Westworld_

TCM Wed, Sep 17, 12:15 AM _The Buccaneer_

TCM Wed, Sep 17, 2:30 AM _Solomon and Sheba_

TCM Wed, Sep 17, 5:00 AM _Invitation to a Gunfighter_

*_All Times are Eastern. Check Local Listings!_*

rockbrynner-340-Yul_with_oscar_.jpg

*Yul Brynner with his best actor academy award for his performance as the king of siam in Rodgers & Hammerstein's _The King and I_.*

Tonight TCM is dedicating its primetime lineup to Mr. B. with the following movies:

8:00pm King and I, The (1956)

The king of Siam clashes with the British governess hired to teach his children.

Cast: Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner, Rita Moreno. Dir: Walter Lang. C-133 mins, TV-G

10:30pm Westworld (1973)

A future fantasy park turns deadly when robot workers go on a killing spree.

Cast: Richard Benjamin, Yul Brynner, James Brolin. Dir: Michael Crichton. C-89 mins, TV-MA

12:15am Buccaneer, The (1958)

French pirate Jean Lafitte tries to redeem his name helping the U.S. in the War of 1812.

Cast: Yul Brynner, Charlton Heston, Claire Bloom. Dir: Anthony Quinn. C-120 mins, TV-PG

2:30am Solomon And Sheba (1959)

Epic tale of the Biblical king's seduction by a pagan queen.

Cast: Yul Brynner, Gina Lollobrigida, George Sanders. Dir: King Vidor. C-141 mins, TV-14

All times EST.

Thanks Mr6666, I'm glad you caught that! I really like *Invitation to a Gunfighter* and I hope lots

of people catch it. I have it on DVD and of all the movies they are airing tonight it's my favorite

(I think *The King and I* is a great musical but I'm not a huge fan of the genre).

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Don't forget, one of Yul's finest movies, *The Journey*, is airing tomorrow at 5:45 p.m. (EST)!

They were just showing the preview the other day, it looks like a good one, and it's great to see Yul and Ms Kerr working together here, looking forward to tomorrow's showing (as well as to Deborah Kerr's birthday tribute!)

I would like to know something: Is it worth buying the album "Yul Brynner photographer"? Does it contain interesting photos? I would like to know if there are any nice portraits of Yul and Deborah together or photos of Yul.

> {quote:title=Monik wrote:}{quote}

> I would like to know something: Is it worth buying the album "Yul Brynner photographer"? Does it contain interesting photos? I would like to know if there are any nice portraits of Yul and Deborah together or photos of Yul.

I've never heard of that album before, Monik, but I hope someone here has. It definitely sounds interesting. B-)

MissGoddess, I would like to know your opinion-Is the album Yul Brynner photographer a good one? I want to buy it and I want to know for sure if it has some interesting photos. Are there any photos of Yul and Deborah together, or of Yul alone?

Hi Monik! I love the book, however I would say it's about 90% photos he took of others, and 10%

which feature Yul himself alone or with others. I only saw one picture with him and Deborah

together, taken on the set of *The King and I.*

Just watched *The Ten Commandments* yesterday (wrote more about it in Movie Rambles) and Yul is absolutely magnificent as Ramases!! :x

Hope to have a few screencaps later on! B-)

Awesome pictures MissG! I love the portrait for "Once More With Feeling". His eyes are commanding the orchestra as well.

> {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> Awesome pictures MissG! I love the portrait for "Once More With Feeling". His eyes are commanding the orchestra as well.

Hi Metsie! His eyes slay me. He was made for the movies and for just

the kind of parts he generally played: commanding, sometimes exotic. Romantic.

I agree, MissG. That's why so many people adored him.

Sorry for getting off topic for a second but I wanted to tell you PBS 13 is showing the Kline/Garner version of Cyrano at 8pm tonight. I'll probably check it out.