Sign in to follow this  
MissMusical

Musical Poster Gallery

50 posts in this topic

Hey! Great posters!! I saw these two films years apart and only recently realized that they were sequals and I wasn't remembering them both as the same movie. The little brother, the maid (Mary Wickes) and the dad (is it Leon Ames??--not sure if I have his name right--) were all about as much fun as Doris and Gordon MacRae. I loved the whoppers the brother kept telling to get himself out of trouble ( and his dad into it.!) :-)

PS--You are doing such a great job with these requests...are you SURE you can't do something about that million bucks????? :-)

You got it, Leon Ames is right. He also played the father in *Meet Me In St Louis*

Aww, shucks! It ain't nothin'. I just get lucky with finding these posters :)

Hmm... million bucks... let me check!

**Checks pocket change**

Nope, sorry, I got 15 cents, a bobby pin, and an old Jolly Rancher wrapper from two summers back. How will that do?

Doris as Nellie--that would change my whole perspective on this film ( I have always liked it as is well enough) Bet should would do a great job though.

Hey Miss M!! I was thinking about South Pacific today when I looked back in to see if you had posted anything new....Got any good pics from that one??? Even if it's Mitzi instead of Doris--this is a wonderful film. Didn't they remake this recently with Glenn Close?? I can't picture that at all. Was it still a musical??

Sorry about that... I haven't been on much lately. I'll get back to posting :)

Yes ma'am, in 2001 Glenn Close and Harry Conick Jr. (yuck!) did a TV remake of South Pacific. And yes, it was a musical. I don't know how well that turned out... I wouldn't watch it. I just can't see how it would be any good.

After all the talk about Doris playing Nellie, I did a little research. Doris, first hand was thought to be the perfect choice for the role, and after she didn't get the part, rumors circulated that Martin Melcher wanted too much money for his role. Therefore the studio couldn't afford Doris. Another rumor is that Doris was asked to do a little singing impromptu at a Hollywood party by Richard Rodgers. She refused since she did not like doing that sort of thing and that it cost her the role. Again, those were rumors.

Now, onto the posters...

223973.1020.A.jpg

235654.1020.A.jpg

(I like "Pacifique Sud"!) :-) Wow-- Harry Connick Jr....well at least HE can sing--don't know if she can or not. Even if she can, I just can't quite picture her running around singing "I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair" and "A Hundred and one pounds of fun..." ( I think that's how that song goes...) :-)

The Glen Close South Pacific was dreadful, in my opinion, although seeing Harry Connick shirtless was nice. I really enjoyed the Encores presentation with Reba & Brian Stokes Mitchell. His rendition of This Nearly Was Mine gave me chills. Reba McIntyre was a great Nellie...her accent is perfect...but she does flub a line in Honey Bun (it's a live performance). Very worth watching!

jon

I can see Reba as Nellie--at least a lot better than I can picture Glenn Close anyway. I guess I am just stuck in my mind with Mitzi Gaynor because I automatically think of her whenever I think of this film. Kinda like trying to picture anyone but Julie Andrews and the Sound of Music...I can't quite do it.

PS--Miss M--I was thinking about what you said about Doris and the rumors--If it's true, that must be one of those "What If"...moments for her I am sure. :-)

My all-time fac musical is: _The Umbrellas of Cherbourg_ (French: _Les Parapluies de Cherbourg_) . What is so neat is that the film dialogue is all sung as recitative, even the most casual conversation. I just love Catherine Deneuve in this film.

f326c17f-ba0e-43fa-bbc1-015b6417721.jpg

I was hoping someone would come along and post some more pics....they're really fun to look at--but didn't want to "beg" :-) Very nice collection--some are familiar--but you've also got a nice selection of "lesser seen" posters too. :-)

More great selections! Where do you find these??? I have to say out of this recent batch...my favorite has to be Oklahoma. The others are far more artistic...but I think the simple one is just making me nostaligic because it reminds me of the artwork on the posters we had at my school (a bazillion years ago) when a friend of mine was in that play. It's always been near the top of my list of favorites.

Wow Brendan! Those are some might gorgeous posters! So many of them I've never seen before. You must tell us where you are finding all these. Oh, and I thank you for getting my thread up and running again ;) Poor little thing was dormant for a while...

Seeing these Alice Faye posters is making me think I need to make a point of seeing some of her films sometime. I have heard her name mentioned often, but must confess I can't recall ever seeing any of her films.

Maybe you should see "Weekend In Havana". Apart from Faye, you have Cesar Romero, John Payne, Carmen Miranda and Leonid Kinskey which make the film enjoyable with their antics.

Thanks for the recommendation....I looked on the TCM database and it's not scheduled anytime soon but I will keep an eye out for it....since I started posting on here, I have an ever-growing list of "movies I want to see someday" and I will add this to it. (PS--I always enjoy seeing Cesar Romero--so that makes it even more a "want to see"!) :-)

PS--Brendan--love the Calamity Jane--this is one of my all time fave Doris Day's....I haven't seen it in a VERY long time, but I always enjoyed it. :-)