CaveGirl

Best Old Biddies

64 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Looney said:

Exactly what it looks like, though "jumped out of spite" makes sense.  It is just so visually awkward.  I wonder if there were "Code" reasons they needed to make the act a question?

The first time I saw the film was on the big screen (in a La La Land revival theater),  and that scene really has an impact when one is sitting in the 4th row!    

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I'm in the "Madge jumped" camp. It was no accident, it was spite. 

Yeah, maybe so. She would do that. She was a lot like Gene Tierney in "Leave Her to Heaven".

5 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Edna May Oliver whould probably fit in.

Oh, wow! My favorite "biddy" of all time, if biddy means butting in due to other people being too stupid to know what they should be doing.

She is just a caution as she proves her superiority in every situation, and I love seeing her with James Gleason.

Thanks, CigarJoe!

48 minutes ago, Looney said:

The first time I read this thread I immediately thought of Moorehead in Dark Passage because I just watched it again, but then I realized the title was "Old Biddie" and her Dark Passage character was not old so I didn't say anything.  And as Swithin pointed out, Madge might be too evil to give such a title.  I have been associating the designation of "Biddie" to be someone who causes problems, but is by no means a true villain.  I guess because the term has a bit of a humorous tone to it.   So are true villains like Madge in Dark Passage to be referred to as a "Biddie"?  She meets the criteria, but to a very extreme measure.

And I was totally going to bring up the "Jumped" debate, Swithin. (Like Minds. LOL)  I want to say she jumped, but I also just saw it and it almost looks like they wanted you to think she might have tripped while trying to be cute and clever.  

I like making the titles bold.  I've found it interesting to see the different manners in which Members post movie titles. 

"Old" is relative in describing an old biddy [biddie], Looney.

Though many are "old" I kind of use the term in the sense of their message is getting "old" and I'm tired of it.

I think even a woman of 25 years old, if she acts like Miss Jane Hathaway on the Beverly Hillbillies could be called an "old" biddy.

But then that's me...bending the rules again.

10 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

also Kathleen Freeman and Natalie Schafer

Didn't Natalie Shafer have an affair with George S. Kaufman after the one with Mary Astor?

I wonder if Kaufman thought she was an "old biddie"?

Thanks, CJ!

So many"old biddies", so little time -

but two off the top of my head -

Marjorie Main in "Bad Bascomb" -

Beulah Bondi in "A Summer Place" -

also, though she is much too young, in essence, she is an "old biddie" -

Constance Ford in "A Summer Place".

54 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Also Esther Howard

Poor old Esther Howard! Can we accuse her of anything since she always looked soused like she didn't know what she was doing. Imdb says she was the wife of the Wienie King, and though I've seen "The Palm Beach Story" a million times I don't remember her. I must just be fixated on the Wienie King since he's so darn cute. Thanks, CJ!

You can add Ethel Griffies who, along with the aforementioned Zeffie Tilbury, were the two biddies eating tripe in WEREWOLF OF LONDON!

If anyone has some male "biddies" to add, feel free.

I definitely think character actor Richard Haydn could give the female "biddies" a run for their money in being annoying and irritating.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I definitely think character actor Richard Haydn could give the female "biddies" a run for their money in being annoying and irritating.

Well since you mention Miss Jane Hathaway I would say Milburn Drysdale is the male 'biddie' in this T.V. series with Jane being the one to rescue Drysdale and the Clampett family from the various messes Drysdale would put them in each week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh YES to the great Kathleen Freeman ... and Nancy Kulp, Kathleen Howard, Josephine Crowell, Nora Cecil, Mary Wickes, Mabel Albertson, Elsa Lanchester, Hermione Gingold........

• Like 1

One could make a case for Judith Anderson as the devious Mrs. Danvers in REBECCA. (SPOILERS may be in here).

One look at her when she sees the new Mrs. De Winter (Joan Fontaine)....well if looks could kill, poor Joan would have been a goner!

I mean, Mrs. Danvers, rather subtly about it, tries to undermine the poor young lady's confidence as the new mistress of the manor from the word go. Why Maxim didn't give Mrs. Danvers her pink slip after Rebecca's death, I don't know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

One could make a case for Judith Anderson as the devious Mrs. Danvers in REBECCA. (SPOILERS may be in here).

One look at her when she sees the new Mrs. De Winter (Joan Fontaine)....well if looks could kill, poor Joan would have been a goner!

I mean, Mrs. Danvers, rather subtly about it, tries to undermine the poor young lady's confidence as the new mistress of the manor from the word go. Why Maxim didn't give Mrs. Danvers her pink slip after Rebecca's death, I don't know.

Mrs. Danvers types raise another question;  can a "biddie" be mentally unstable (or in the case of Danvers way over the edge?).     In most cases I would say no;  i.e. a biddie is just a busybody and annoying but her actions (or his), are not driven by being mentally unstable. 

As for why Maxim didn't give Danvers her pink slip;  I believe that is explained;   Maxim was rather clueless about a lot of things!

Was Mrs. Danvers really unstable though? Or just resentful that another woman was taking her mistress' place?

I suppose one could make a case for either scenario though. Although I always believed it was the latter.

Though no doubt Mrs. Danvers had indeed gone off the deep end by the end of the film....I suppose it was her learning the truth about Rebecca that drove her to the breaking point.

Jacqueline DeWit's Mona Plash (love that name) in All That Heaven Allows (1956) is a real beaut. It's a very high-strung performance but she was great at working the crowd with all her nasty insinuations. She's the kind drag queens do on Halloween.

I don't know the name of the character but in Sitting Pretty with Clifton Webb . He hinted that he got the information from his book from a male snoop.

check out Margaret Hamilton with Mae West in My Little Chickadee, it tells the whole story of her character

Image result for margaret hamilton and mae west my little chickadee

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

How about Clifton Webb as a harried father in "Holiday For Lovers"?

• Like 2

Miss Gulch was so bad in The Wizard of Oz that she didn't even like little dogs.

Arguably the most viewed old biddy in the movies.

1*QE70-XxkgGOQPJR2-EGvYQ.jpeg

• Like 1

Det. Jim, thanks for the picture of Margaret Hamilton in My Little Chickadee. That was exactly the scene that came to mind when I thought of "biddies." Joe, some great additions to the list.

• Thanks 1

Esma Cannon in Holiday Camp (1947), terrific film that stars Dennis Price, Jack Warner, Kathleen Harrison, Hazel Court, and Jimmy Hanley. Cannon plays Elsie Dawson, a spinster who gets involved in everything.

HC 3.jpg

On 7/7/2018 at 2:55 PM, CaveGirl said:

Henry Jones in The Bad Seed.

Martin Eric in a small part as the handyman in A Summer Place.

In fact, gardeners and handymen in lots of old movies seem to be a lot more snoopy than humanity in general!

Also, I would say every male Mongtomery Cliff talks to in the middle third of A Place in the Sun. People asking him all sorts of weirdly specific questions, eavesdropping, and making mental notes of everything he says and does as if they were already rehearsing their testimony for Raymond Burr even before a murder has been committed!