Mona Freeman and James Dunn in "That Brennan Girl" - 1946 - Alfred Santell -

he looks like her father - but maybe that's the point -

Dhdfk9PXUAE9UNn.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, rayban said:

Mona Freeman and James Dunn in "That Brennan Girl" - 1946 - Alfred Santell -

he looks like her father - but maybe that's the point -

Dhdfk9PXUAE9UNn.jpg

I was channel flipping and therefore only saw parts of this film,   but yea,  I just assumed Dunn was the father of Freeman's deceased husband \ father of her child and that was why he was paying so much attention to her.

I wish I had paid more attention to the film since it is an usual role for Freeman.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Hoffman and Beatty in "Ishtar"?

Not a pairing made in heaven...

It could have been, had they been working with a better script.

John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn were the last two people I would expect to see in a movie together, but I just loved ROOSTER COGBURN, even more than the original TRUE GRIT. Loved the exchanges between them.

And Robert De Niro and Billy Crystal in ANALYZE THIS. Never thought I'd see these two as co-stars, but I quite enjoyed their scenes together, quite a hoot.

• Like 2

Jane Mansfield and Tom Ewell in The Girl Can't Help It.

(as well as Mansfield and O'Brien). 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Jane Mansfield and Tom Ewell in The Girl Can't Help It.

(as well as Mansfield and O'Brien). 

Go figure. And Ewell got to work with Marilyn Monroe too. I guess he was supposed to be some kind of everyman type, but I never really got it. They used Tommy Noonan that way too, the zero who supposedly attracted the most beautiful women. (He also co-starred with Monroe and Mansfield.)

• Haha 1

Bob Hope and Katherine Hepburn in "The Iron Petticoat". This film wasn't shown for many years due to some copywright or patent until a few years ago. It's very unfunny; Hope and Hepburn are awful together as is her fake gritting Russian accent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This pairing seems unusual to me:

Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 3.59.02 PM.jpg

True, but it was a pairing that worked for me.

I read that Jack had wanted to work with Brando for the longest time, he was his idol. But after filming he later admitted that working with the legend wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Still, a very entertaining western though.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This pairing seems unusual to me:

Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 3.59.02 PM.jpg

Jack Nicholson was one of the biggest stars in the world in the mid-to-late 70's, and he made a series of films for the sole purpose of working with some of his idols: The Passenger (for Michelangelo Antonioni), The Last Tycoon (for Elia Kazan), later The Shining (for Stanley Kubrick), and The Missouri Breaks for Marlon Brando. Beth beat me to it as I was typing this, but yes, he was left disappointed after every one of those films.

• Like 2

I liked him very much in "The Passenger" and, of course, "The Shining".

Hmmm..."Highly unlikely pairings" you ask?!

Okay, then how about...

rb_Thumb_Stills_hat.jpg

C'mon now! REALLY?! A freakin' moose AND a flying squirrel are best BUDS???

(...but yeah, I suppose it DID somehow work, huh)

;)

• Haha 3

Jack Lemmon and Joe E. Brown in Some Like It Hot:

SomelikeFeature.jpg

(Shouldn't Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe be in the back seat?)

6 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Jack Lemmon and Joe E. Brown in Some Like It Hot:

SomelikeFeature.jpg

(Shouldn't Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe be in the back seat?)

I always wondered that too.  I decided that they jumped ship and swam back to Joe E. Brown's yacht for a rendezvous.

• Haha 1

I only just now noticed it.  And that dinghy is being taken to Brown's yacht, so even in your joke scenario, Tony and Marilyn should still be behind the boat.

[/pedantic *******]

Edward Everett Horton with Robert Armstrong in "Little Big Shot" (1935) as a pair of small time con men.  Tricking poor Edgar Kennedy with the hat trick for free rent was a riot. 

Wish Warner brothers did more with the two. :lol:

1z6qve1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Jack Nicholson was one of the biggest stars in the world in the mid-to-late 70's, and he made a series of films for the sole purpose of working with some of his idols: The Passenger (for Michelangelo Antonioni), The Last Tycoon (for Elia Kazan), later The Shining (for Stanley Kubrick), and The Missouri Breaks for Marlon Brando. Beth beat me to it as I was typing this, but yes, he was left disappointed after every one of those films.

I never got the impression that Jack was disappointed working with Kubrick. As a matter of fact, in a documentary on Kubrick's life and movies, Jack said his only disappointment was he never got to work with Kubrick on another project.

But then again, Kubrick did have a reputation for being extremely difficult (understatement here) to work with at times. He drove poor Shelley Duvall nearly to a nervous breakdown during filming...perhaps Jack had expressed his disapproval of that. 

10 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I never got the impression that Jack was disappointed working with Kubrick. As a matter of fact, in a documentary on Kubrick's life and movies, Jack said his only disappointment was he never got to work with Kubrick on another project.

But then again, Kubrick did have a reputation for being extremely difficult (understatement here) to work with at times. He drove poor Shelley Duvall nearly to a nervous breakdown during filming...perhaps Jack had expressed his disapproval of that. 

In the biography that I read, Nicholson was said to have been disappointed in Kubrick's handling of the actors. he may have been commenting specifically on the Duvall situation, but he may also have been bothered by Kubrick's technical perfectionism, which can seem tedious to many actors. Kubrick is my favorite director, and The Shining is one of my favorite movies, but it wasn't an easy shoot, and the movie wasn't well received upon release (or by many still, who never hesitate to let you know).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

In the biography that I read, Nicholson was said to have been disappointed in Kubrick's handling of the actors. he may have been commenting specifically on the Duvall situation, but he may also have been bothered by Kubrick's technical perfectionism, which can seem tedious to many actors. Kubrick is my favorite director, and The Shining is one of my favorite movies, but it wasn't an easy shoot, and the movie wasn't well received upon release (or by many still, who never hesitate to let you know).

Kubrick also got on Malcolm McDowell's nerves during the making of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. I think McDowell said his eye got scratched during the scene Alex is bound up in a straightjacket and the electronics keeping his eyelids open during the brainwashing sequence.

Maybe Jack should count his blessings he never got to work with Kubrick again. 

I know THE SHINING had it's critics, and still does (the book's author Stephen King is the number one critic), but you might be surprised how many viewers today prefer the Jack/Kubrick film to the more-faithful-to-the-novel 1997 mini-series with Rebecca De Moray and Steven Weber (I like both versions myself).

• Like 1

According to Albert Brooks, who conversed with Kubrick by telephone over the course of many years, Kubrick was very hard on Scatman Crothers. Possibly Nicholson was reacting to that as well. 

You think Nicholson working with Brando was weird, how about Nicholson working with Adam Sandler in Anger Management? Surely Jack didn't need a paycheck. His kids must have liked Sandler or something.

Some very deep deja vu memories are being stirred up in me about a movie I saw on TCM in which I was surprised at some point in the movie that James Dunn was intended to be a romantic interest! Reading the above descriptions, I feel like it probably was That Brennan Girl, but I remember almost nothing about it, so I need to see it again.

Ishtar predictably gets trashed on here a lot, but I like it! Yes, it could (and should) have been better given the incredible amount of talent involved, but many scenes still make me laugh.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

You think Nicholson working with Brando was weird, how about Nicholson working with Adam Sandler in Anger Management? Surely Jack didn't need a paycheck. His kids must have liked Sandler or something.

That's kind of a thing with Sandler, landing a respected actor for one of his "comedies". Kathy Bates, Harvey Keitel, John Turturro, Christopher Walken, Ving Rhames, Richard Chamberlain, Nicole Kidman, Al Pacino, Susan Sarandon, James Caan, Dustin Hoffman, Brian Cox, Nick Nolte, Terence Stamp, and Steve Buscemi have all appeared in one or more Sandler-starring movie. And that's not including the handful of movies that Sandler's done with reputable directors. 

• Thanks 1

How about Joe E. Brown and Farina in "You Said A Mouthful" from 1932?

Here is an unlikely pairing that worked so beautifully.

They should have done another.

But Joe E. Brown probably wasn't interested in "sharing the screen".

YouSaidAMouthful12.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 6.41.17 AM.jpg

Casting nobody could have predicted: Susan Hayward and Judy Canova play first cousins in Republic's musical comedy SIS HOPKINS. 

It works because Susan is playing a snob and Judy's the country bumpkin who comes to the city to live with her late father's relatives.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

The appeal of Adam Sandler has always been lost on me, but I did go to see ANGER MANAGEMENT at the show, only because of Jack. 

Waste of time and money. The movie still stunk for me.

• Like 1