Sign in to follow this  
rayban

Highly Unlikely Pairings!

52 posts in this topic

Katharine Hepburn and Robert Mitchum in Undercurrent remain one of the worst screen couples ever. (Mitchum called it "Underdrawers"). They hated each other off screen, too.

In the first half of Come and Get It the lovely Frances Farmer is in a love triangle with Edward Arnold and Walter Brennan. If there was ever a reason to say, "Monty, I'll take what's behind Door #3 . . . . "

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I always thought that Paul Newman and Bruce Willis was an odd pairing in Nobody's Fool. After Moonlighting ended Willis became a decent action movie star and Newman was one of the best actors of the last fifty years. They both did a pretty good job, but the movie just wasn't that good in my opinion.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Katharine Hepburn and Robert Mitchum in Undercurrent remain one of the worst screen couples ever. (Mitchum called it "Underdrawers"). They hated each other off screen, too.

In the first half of Come and Get It the lovely Frances Farmer is in a love triangle with Edward Arnold and Walter Brennan. If there was ever a reason to say, "Monty, I'll take what's behind Door #3 . . . . "

Well door three was handsome Joel McCrea in her next life!

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 4.31.22 PM.jpg

• Like 2

Barbra Streisand and Walter Matthau in "Hello, Dolly!"

Reportedly during the shooting, Barbra gave Walter a bar soap--so he could wash his mouth out.

23 hours ago, Fedya said:

I only just now noticed it.  And that dinghy is being taken to Brown's yacht, so even in your joke scenario, Tony and Marilyn should still be behind the boat.

[/pedantic *******]

Billy Wilder was a great film director but,

Well, nobody's perfect.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

The appeal of Adam Sandler has always been lost on me, but I did go to see ANGER MANAGEMENT at the show, only because of Jack. 

Waste of time and movie. The movie still stunk for me.

Amen, Beth.  Adam Sandler is overrated.  He's made a couple of decent flicks, but overall, blah.  His kind of "boyish charm" is not aging well, IMHO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Whenever I look at pix of Frances Farmer I always think "gee, she looks just like Jessica Lange."  ?

I like Edward Arnold.  Great actor.  He's a big guy but there's something about him that's appealing.

29 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Whenever I look at pix of Frances Farmer I always think "gee, she looks just like Jessica Lange."  ?

I like Edward Arnold.  Great actor.  He's a big guy but there's something about him that's appealing.

Did you see The City That Never Sleeps the other day when TCM was featuring Republic studio films?

Arnold gives a solid performance and related to this topic,  Maria Windsor plays his wife and they made an unlikely pairing (but at the same time one could say they were made-for-each-other) and one that is central to the plot. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Did you see The City That Never Sleeps the other day when TCM was featuring Republic studio films?

Arnold gives a solid performance and related to this topic,  Maria Windsor plays his wife and they made an unlikely pairing (but at the same time one could say they were made-for-each-other) and one that is central to the plot. 

Yes, james, I did see it and I liked it.  Enjoyed seeing 1950's Chicago.  Arnold and Marie may have seemed to be an unlikely pairing but I could believe it even though she had serious hots for William Talman.

9 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yes, james, I did see it and I liked it.  Enjoyed seeing 1950's Chicago.  Arnold and Marie may have seemed to be an unlikely pairing but I could believe it even though she had serious hots for William Talman.

In another thread I talked about the relationship between Windsor and Talman in the film.   Yea,  that scene where they are kissing before her husband comes for the payoff,  is one for the ages.    Her sexual attraction to Talman is out of this world and it didn't come off as just a lonely wife of an out-of-shape older man;  I.e. she really had the hots for him! 

It just took me back that a guy like Talman could get such a reaction from a dame like Windsor,  but hey,  its the movies.   

The Chicago visuals were great and I enjoyed these as well.   E.g. when Talman was running away I love the shot of him coming down a fire escape and how those 'fall down' by themselves to ground level.    I did wonder 'where is the L' but I didn't have to wait long for that.    

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

In another thread I talked about the relationship between Windsor and Talman in the film.   Yea,  that scene where they are kissing before her husband comes for the payoff,  is one for the ages.    Her sexual attraction to Talman is out of this world and it didn't come off as just a lonely wife of an out-of-shape older man;  I.e. she really had the hots for him! 

It just took me back that a guy like Talman could get such a reaction from a dame like Windsor,  but hey,  its the movies.   

The Chicago visuals were great and I enjoyed these as well.   E.g. when Talman was running away I love the shot of him coming down a fire escape and how those 'fall down' by themselves to ground level.    I did wonder 'where is the L' but I didn't have to wait long for that.    

I read your comment on the other thread about the kissing scene between Talman and Windsor.  Marie totally sells it.  I believe Talman is hot because Marie believes it.  I'm surprised that scene got past the censors but I guess the kisses didn't extend beyond the Code's time limit. 

• Like 1

One pairing that didn't work for me, and I realize they are popular movies (or at least the first movie was)....but it just felt weird seeing Billy Crystal in the same universe with Jack Palance in the CITY SLICKERS films. 

5 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

WAIT now, Christine! you're sayin' Edward Arnold is/was "appealing"???

Wow! Sorry, but what some of you ladies find "appealing" in some guys is somethin' I'll NEVER understand!

What's next? You're now gonna tell me that you always thought Lee J. Cobb was kind'a hot TOO?!

Well, Cobb usually played the same type of roles as Arnold did, ya know. Okay, so Cobb was usually a little more "gruff" than Arnold, but STILL!!!

(...and they WERE both "big guys" who usually threw their weight around in the movies, right?!) ;) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dargo said:

WAIT now, Christine! you're sayin' Edward Arnold is/was "appealing"???

Wow! Sorry, but what some of you ladies find "appealing" in some guys is somethin' I'll NEVER understand!

What's next? You're now gonna tell me that you always thought Lee J. Cobb was kind'a hot TOO?!

Well, Cobb usually played the same type of roles as Arnold did, ya know. Okay, so Cobb was usually a little more "gruff" than Arnold, but STILL!!!

(...and they WERE both "big guys" who usually threw their weight around in the movies, right?!) ;) 

Yes, I am saying Edward Arnold was/is appealing but I can't really explain it.  I'll give it a try:  I think it's because he had such a dynamic personality on screen.  Besides being an excellent actor, he was one of those actors who got bigger physically as they got older.  If you look at photos from the late 20's-early 30's he's not as big as later.  I know he played some bad guys but I felt sorry for him for his unrequited love for Joan Crawford in a 1930's movie (whose title I can't recall - SADIE MCKEE, maybe?).  He was large but he dressed sharp, looked nice and was not sloppy big.

Now Lee J. Cobb is OK.  I like him in some movies and other times he just plain overacts.  He's usually a good actor, though, but he's not especially "kinda hot" to me.

My #1 for true male hotness remains John Gilbert to whom I remain forever faithful, if only in my heart.  ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yes, I am saying Edward Arnold was/is appealing but I can't really explain it.  I'll give it a try:  I think it's because he had such a dynamic personality on screen.  Besides being an excellent actor, he was one of those actors who got bigger physically as they got older.  If you look at photos from the late 20's-early 30's he's not as big as later.  I know he played some bad guys but I felt sorry for him for his unrequited love for Joan Crawford in a 1930's movie (whose title I can't recall - SADIE MCKEE, maybe?).  He was large but he dressed sharp, looked nice and was not sloppy big.

Now Lee J. Cobb is OK.  I like him in some movies and other times he just plain overacts.  He's usually a good actor, though, but he's not especially "kinda hot" to me.

My #1 for true male hotness remains John Gilbert to whom I remain forever faithful, if only in my heart.  ?

Okay, now John Gilbert I can understand, Christine. Good lookin' guy. Shame about his "tinny" voice, though. ;)

(...yeah yeah, I know the real story...that whole "voice" thing was supposedly a sabotage of his career masterminded by Louis B. Mayer)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Okay, now John Gilbert I can understand, Christine. Good lookin' guy. Shame about his "tinny" voice, though. ;)

(...yeah yeah, I know the real story...that whole "voice" thing was supposedly a sabotage of his career masterminded by Louis B. Mayer)

YES, Dargo.  It was Mayer - some crummy movies and early bad sound technology contributed to Gilbert's demise as well as too much alcohol.  His career into talkies should have been better and could have been better nurtured but Mayer didn't like him.  Still, we have DOWNSTAIRS and QUEEN CHRISTINA and a small handful of other talkies plus all the wonderful silent flicks.

Sorry to go off topic.

Lee J. Cobb did not seem capable of a sex life - that's why his sorrow over Jean Harlow's marriage in "Party Girl" is so right.

High concept filmmaking in the 80s. This unusual pairing brought in over $200 million at the box office (1988 dollars):

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 7.23.09 AM.jpg

• Thanks 1

Jean Harlow?  You don't mean Cyd Charisse?

21 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Jean Harlow?  You don't mean Cyd Charisse?

Nope, Jean Harlow, Fedya.

When we're first introduced to Cobb in Party Girl, he's seen sitting by himself and caressing a framed photo of his big crush Jean Harlow, and which it is then explained by another party goer that Cobb's character is pretty much crushed to have recently learned that she's just married somebody else out in Hollywood. You then hear shots being fired off in that party and which startles the attendees, and only to see that Cobb had taken out his pistol and fired off a few rounds into that framed photograph.

(...remember, this film was supposedly set in the early-1930s, and although almost every bit of set design, the clothes and hairstyles on all the characters within this film are pretty much right out of 1958 and when this film was actually shot)

• Like 1

Yeah, I forgot to DVR Party Girl:angry:

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nope, Jean Harlow, Fedya.

When we're first introduced to Cobb in Party Girl, he's seen sitting by himself and caressing a framed photo of his big crush Jean Harlow, and which it is then explained by another party goer that Cobb's character is pretty much crushed to have recently learned that she's just married somebody else out in Hollywood. You then hear shots being fired off in that party and which startles the attendees, and only to see that Cobb had taken out his pistol and fired off a few rounds into that framed photograph.

(...remember, this film was supposedly set in the early-1930s, and although almost every bit of set design, the clothes and hairstyles on all the characters within this film are pretty much right out of 1958 and when this film was actually shot)

I don't know why he was so upset,  since Harlow was married and divorced 3 times.    All he had to do was wait a little while and she would have been available.    (but I can't see him stealing her from William Powell, so if anything he should of shot at a picture of him!).

• Haha 2

Maybe the Jean Harlow thing was a tribute to Beau Hunks the laurel and Hardy short. Everybody seemed to have a picture of Jean. That's why they were in the foreign legion.

Jack Oakie & Roscoe Karns as Tweedledum and Tweedledee in 1933's ALICE IN WONDERLAND:

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 7.33.04 AM.jpg

• Like 2

Drew Barrymore and Steve Zahn in "Riding In Cars With Boys" - Penny Marshall - 2001

Riding-in-Cars-with-Boys-3.jpg

You guessed it, from the very beginning, that marriage does not go well.

• Like 1