1359982556_JohnWayne.jpg.81fd3aa8f4471ff8debf736309ad45fd.jpg

Buster Keaton 

keatonclassics.thumb.jpg.9f5708d449494ef0d585b020e670f280.jpg

Orson Welles

Orson-Welles.thumb.jpg.a653692bb004f0b89e76ac74706f0e7e.jpg

silent film star Nita Naldi

1590949625_NitaNaldi.jpg.3fecd4ce632c7483678ba1126a7ba3fd.jpg

Myrna Loy (with Lauren Bacall)

3f3d2a44d97433e514f61b4019b06187--myrna-loy-lauren-bacall.jpg.59c53c0058c1bd480c8faa70df0899e9.jpg

Dorothy Lamour 

dlatw.jpg.27e0869dedcc9b9589157653b0977a52.jpg

Ginger Rogers

ging-pic.gif.149b04e72fba8c6865d63978ef00776f.gif

Gene Kelly & Donald O'Connor

77ba5ff3c3168c6f4fe53cf646b42d62.jpg.3ab36f495d304e5ab941a377b0585ffb.jpg

Hedy Lamarr

Hedy.jpg.e522a0671c55aaf993663e95d3e25b35.jpg

Jeanette MacDonald

Jeanette MacDonald.jpg

Edited by DawnM74
forgot to label a photo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM74 said:

She had such a hard life.

Yes but she looks pretty good here; I can visualize the peek-a-boo long hair instead of the hat.

Dawn, where did you get the photo of Nita Naldi?  Do you know what year it was taken?

Thanks for sharing all the photos.

4 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yes but she looks pretty good here; I can visualize the peek-a-boo long hair instead of the hat.

Dawn, where did you get the photo of Nita Naldi?  Do you know what year it was taken?

I recall that Nita Naldi pic being in Hollywood Babylon.

• Thanks 1

I love the photo of Myrna and Lauren. Also you can just hear Donald O'Connor thinking to himself, "this really great man Gene Kelly is kissing me!" Glad Harold Lloyd never ditched the trademark specs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

The only info I could find about the Nita Naldi photo was that it was 'taken shortly before her death' (she died February 17, 1961).

• Thanks 1

Bela Lugosi

hqdefault.jpg

Boris Karloff

COTCA06.jpg

Lon Chaney Jr.

Lon_Chaney_Jr_Puppy.jpg

Claude Rains

be2016a8d7b0de907e2704fdb0ab4053.jpg

Basil Rathbone

snapshot00100.png?w=386&h=289

Vincent Price

acf0c0f47a2180d37802ad4e3c644f3c--vincen

Peter Cushing

hqdefault.jpg

Christopher Lee

PANews%20BT_P-22c005cf-6d1c-4633-abfe-b8

• Like 2

June 1977, less than 2 months before all those peanut butter-n-'nanner sammiches took their toll...

TCB.jpg

Now, why is it while goin' through this thread I'm suddenly gettin' the urge to google "Assisted Living"???

(...or maybe "Life Alert"...I hear that's cheaper)

British comedy legend Terry-Thomas in April 1989.  He would pass in January 1990, after a lengthy bout with Parkinson's.

Terry~Thomas.jpg

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, DawnM74 said:

Errol Flynn & Tyrone Power

errol-flynn.jpg

I remember this photo from when Errol Flynn died. They said that this girl was his mistress from the age of 14 or 15.

Her name was Beverly Aadland. She was 17 years-old when Flynn died and she had appeared in "Cuban Rebel Girls" with him.

Along with the Debbie Eddie Liz thing and Lana Turner's daughter killing her mother's gangster boyfriend--

Flynn's dying with this underage girl was one of the biggest scandals of the movie mags in the fifties.

The fact that he was with an underage girl made for bigger news than the fact that he was dead.

My first thought on seeing that photo was, "That's not Tyrone Power."

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I remember this photo from when Errol Flynn died. They said that this girl was his mistress from the age of 14 or 15.

Her name was Beverly Aadland. She was 17 years-old when Flynn died and she had appeared in "Cuban Rebel Girls" with him.

Along with the Debbie Eddie Liz thing and Lana Turner's daughter killing her mother's gangster boyfriend--

Flynn's dying with this underage girl was one of the biggest scandals of the movie mags in the fifties.

The fact that he was with an underage girl made for bigger news than the fact that he was dead.

Today we would call that grooming. Beverly Aadland was groomed by Flynn. He was still married to Patrice Wymore at the time of his death.

• Haha 1

I like Larry's post with all the horror stars. Interesting.

Terry-Thomas' last days were quite sad, indeed.

15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I like Larry's post with all the horror stars. Interesting.

Yes, and the interesting thing about them is that they all kept working right up to till the end. Many of the leading men and ladies just retired and  withdrew from public life when they got older.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yes, and the interesting thing about them is that they all kept working right up to till the end. Many of the leading men and ladies just retired and  withdrew from public life when they got older.

The horror genre naturally lends itself to the stars looking more grotesque as they age. Technically they could even die and be brought in to play the corpse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's interesting to look at the end of the careers of those horror stars. Some went out with a whimper, some with a bang.

Chaney Jr. appeared in a series of cheap schlock flicks such as The Female Bunch and Dracula vs Frankenstein. So did Karloff, but at least the latter had the critically-acclaimed Targets near the end.

Vincent Price closed out his career with a brief cameo in Edward Scissorhands which is a great send-off.

Bela Lugosi had notoriously been acting in some of the worst dreck in Hollywood, but even if they were absolutely terrible, his films with director Ed Wood (Glen or Glenda?, Bride of the MonsterPlan 9 from Outer Space) remain often watched cult favorites.

One of Peter Cushing's last major roles was in the first Star Wars film, a part that he regarded so little of that he wore house slippers while filming most of his scenes, rather than his costume's jackboots. Of course his participation in the movie is what most people of a certain generation remember him from, rather than Dr. Frankenstein or vampire hunter Van Helsing.

On a related note, Cushing's frequent co-star Christopher Lee had appeared in over 150 movies, but was still mostly remembered for playing Dracula. He had a wonderful late-in-life resurgence with small but pivotal roles in two of the biggest movie series of all time: as the evil Saruman the wizard in the Lord of the Rings films, and as the duplicitous Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Those introduced him to a whole new generation of viewers who shall always fondly remember him from those parts, the first of which he didn't film until he was nearly 80 years old.  

• Like 3

A recent photo of Tab Hunter who passed away yesterday at age 86.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 10.34.01 AM.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Today we would call that grooming. Beverly Aadland was groomed by Flynn. He was still married to Patrice Wymore at the time of his death.

Today we would still call that statutory rape in most states-- or at least something like contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Patrice Wymore was a tap dancing Kansas native who died a few years ago.   Despite Flynn's completely open lifestyle they never divorced.

They had a daughter who predeceased Patrice. 

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Today we would still call that statutory rape in most states-- or at least something like contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Patrice Wymore was a tap dancing Kansas native who died a few years ago.   Despite Flynn's completely open lifestyle they never divorced.

They had a daughter who predeceased Patrice. 

Someone posted a photo of the grandson not long ago. He looks just like Errol.

Just now, TopBilled said:

Someone posted a photo of the grandson not long ago. He looks just like Errol.

And the daughter was estranged from her mother.

In the local newspapers they kept up with Patrice because she was from Kansas. Reportedly the daughter tried to emulate her father's lifestyle and that caused Patrice to disown her.

BTW-- I recently saw a photo of Clark Gable's grandson-- it's scary how much he looks like Clark.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

And the daughter was estranged from her mother.

In the local newspapers they kept up with Patrice because she was from Kansas. Reportedly the daughter tried to emulate her father's lifestyle and that caused Patrice to disown her.

BTW-- I recently saw a photo of Clark Gable's grandson-- it's scary how much he looks like Clark.

If I'm not mistaken the grandson of Errol and Patrice became a model, but I think he has a different last name (not Flynn) so I don't know how to look him up on Google images.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

If I'm not mistaken the grandson of Errol and Patrice became a model, but I think he has a different last name (not Flynn) so I don't know how to look him up on Google images.

Errol Flynn's only son, I believe his name was Sean, was an International photojournalist. It seems like he was killed around 40 years ago in some kind of a war zone. 

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Errol Flynn's only son, I believe his name was Sean, was an International photojournalist. It seems like he was killed around 40 years ago in some kind of a war zone. 

Yes, that's right. And I think Sean Flynn had done a few films in the 60s prior to becoming a journalist.

I just found the grandson. He uses the name Luke Flynn, though I think he was born with a different last name.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 11.59.07 AM.jpg

He really looks like his famous grandfather in this ad for Nautica:

screen.jpg

• Like 1