marimari

social justice???

131 posts in this topic

I am curious! Do the hosts write their own material? I would be kind of surprised to think any of those hosts have all this knowledge, at the tip of their tongues.

As for having hosts, I think TCM was competing with good old American Movie Classics, and the host concept was a copy-cat thing.

Someone on another forum for cord cutting says, TCM is doomed and will have commercials. It is in reply to AT&T wanting HBO to do be more profitable.

Along with my various annoyances about TCM, AT&T messing it up is also a concern.

20 hours ago, Vautrin said:

There seems to be some disagreement about the details of this stunt. As to

Confidential, it appears they eventually made a deal to stop reporting on the

peccadilloes of movie stars, but as that was what the public bought the mag

for, the new, dull Confidential soon went out of business. Sinatra and DiMaggio

really sound like two dumb bunnies. They should have stuck to baseball and

singing and left the undercover stuff to the professional peepers. 

I have been collecting "Confidential" magazines for years. They make for some fun reading. I think there was some belief that if Confidential had the dirt on someone, that if they paid them off enough, they would just use the story and mess with another actor in similar circumstances, hence stuff they were gonna write about Rock Hudson, might be used to sully the name of someone like George Nader instead. A few of my magazines have stories on people like Kim Novak associating with Sammy Davis, that she has discussed on interview shows. It's bizarre to be able to read the original stories from the magazine. 

49 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I am curious! Do the hosts write their own material? I would be kind of surprised to think any of those hosts have all this knowledge, at the tip of their tongues.

As for having hosts, I think TCM was competing with good old American Movie Classics, and the host concept was a copy-cat thing.

Someone on another forum for cord cutting says, TCM is doomed and will have commercials. It is in reply to AT&T wanting HBO to do be more profitable.

Along with my various annoyances about TCM, AT&T messing it up is also a concern.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, but people have been predicting that TCM will start airing commercials as long as this message board has existed. I'm not sure how far back the posts go in this section anymore (the mods have been culling a lot of old threads from the other sections lately), but if you peruse them you'll see that there have been people saying that "The End is Near!" for at least 16 years now. "TCM will become AMC by the end of the year, just you wait and see!" says one poster circa 2003. "We'll have pharma and car commercials any day now!" says another one circa 2010. 

In the end, there's nothing any of us can do about it if they do decide to radically change their format or commercial policy, so there's no point fretting over it until it actually happens.

Anything is possible. TCM is probably not huge in the ratings. It is a niche channel, right? I'm sure there is a more elegant way to put it, but TCM is designed for people with amazingly high standards.

If commercials come and viewers drop, it will not necessarily impact TCM. Many of us receive TCM in a package of channels from cable or satellite. I pay extra for TCM with Comcast. I believe TCM is available at all levels with DirecTV. There is a silly rumor AT&T wants to move all their satellite customers to DirecTV Now. I call that silly as AT&T will need to deal with lots of old fashioned copper phone lines first.

If AT&T messes up TCM, it leaves the door open for FilmStruck, since that is something you pay for independently each month, or maybe by the year.

I have limited respect for AT&T. Nothing would surprise me.

By the way, I appreciate the FilmStruck thread. I look at the website, but am not ready to start the free trial, not until it is cord cutting time. Kind of surprised they still use Adobe Flash Player, but I believe Watch TCM does too.

I want a Media PC running Linux. Maybe that is why I am not ready to cut the cord. Need the PC and more Linux skills. Adobe Flash Player dies on 12/31/2020. Unless Pepper Flash continues via Google Chrome, TCM and FilmStruck will need a fix sooner. I am not crazy about Roku-like devices, that are cheap enough, but only do one thing.

Well, look at that. I'm off topic again.

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I have been collecting "Confidential" magazines for years. They make for some fun reading. I think there was some belief that if Confidential had the dirt on someone, that if they paid them off enough, they would just use the story and mess with another actor in similar circumstances, hence stuff they were gonna write about Rock Hudson, might be used to sully the name of someone like George Nader instead. A few of my magazines have stories on people like Kim Novak associating with Sammy Davis, that she has discussed on interview shows. It's bizarre to be able to read the original stories from the magazine. 

I've never actually seen a full issue of Confidential, though I've seen some covers and

one or two page excerpts. I've also read about what you posted--that Confidential

would drop stuff about the big stars if they could publish things about the lesser

lights. Maybe they were more in sync with the studios for a while than it appeared,

but it seems that eventually the studios just got annoyed with Confidential. Yes

kiddies, some stars are just as perverse as your average person.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It is my understanding the use of 'colored' is now the most common and acceptable term;  people of color,  since from a political perspective there is strength in numbers;  E.g. the use of LGBT.

Using 'black' when one is only talking about African Americans is misleading since there are many 'blacks' that are Asia etc...

I certainly wasn't aware of that. I certainly don't want to be behind the times! I'll try to do some research on my own, possibly ask some black people I know what they prefer, hopefully not sounding like totally stupid white guy.