Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

One Way Street (1950)

6 posts in this topic

This is a pretty good noir that shifts from being a noir to sort of a Mexican Western.  It stars James Mason and Dan Duryea.  The plot is very simple so spoiler alerts.   Mason stars as the private doctor for mobster John Wheeler played by Dan Duryea.  Dr. Matson (Mason) decides to double cross Wheeler and take a suitcase full of his money and his woman and escape down to Mexico.  The film also features a very short cameo by Jack Elam as one of Wheeler's goons.  Back to the plot.  Once in Mexico with Wheeler's woman Mason has a change of heart thats influenced by his interactions with the Mexican villagers that he helps.  The film in fact takes place mainly in this village. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with Dan Duryea's talents being wasted on a film in which he barely appears in.  A lesser known actor would've been better in that role.  Finally, the code jumped smack up at the end as usual and ruined the film.  What really gets me here is Dr. Mason didn't get away with anything so what the code was looking for i do not know.  Because of the code, I rank this one a 6 out of 10.  If Mason could've got back to Mexico, I would've ranked this one a 7.5 out of 10. Its still worth a view...

2zznkzo.jpg

2 minutes ago, Moorman said:

This is a pretty good noir that shifts from being a noir to sort of a Mexican Western.  It stars James Mason and Dan Duryea.  The plot is very simple so spoiler alerts.   Mason stars as the private doctor for mobster John Wheeler played by Dan Duryea.  Dr. Matson (Mason) decides to double cross Wheeler and take a suitcase full of his money and his woman and escape down to Mexico.  The film also features a very short cameo by Jack Elam as one of Wheeler's goons.  Back to the plot.  Once in Mexico with Wheeler's woman Mason has a change of heart thats influenced by his interactions with the Mexican villagers that he helps.  The film in fact takes place mainly in this village. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with Dan Duryea's talents being wasted on a film in which he barely appears in.  A lesser known actor would've been better in that role.  Finally, the code jumped smack up at the end as usual and ruined the film.  What really gets me here is Dr. Mason didn't get away with anything so what the code was looking for i do not know.  Because of the code, I rank this one a 6 out of 10.  If Mason could've got back to Mexico, I would've ranked this one a 7.5 out of 10. Its still worth a view...

2zznkzo.jpg

Yet another Universal film I have yet to see and highly unlikely for TCM to show.

Mason and Duryea;   sounds like a lot of fun in a sort of twisted way.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yet another Universal film I have yet to see and highly unlikely for TCM to show.

Mason and Duryea;   sounds like a lot of fun in a sort of twisted way.   

Its a good watch. I saw it on Youtube. Some mom and pop retailers have it available online. 

The reviews for this film are rather unkind on the IMDb. I watched it on YouTube a few months ago. I agree the film is flawed and Duryea is not used enough in it. But Mason fans will like it. And it is very atmospherically shot. Visually it screams noir from start to finish, even when it does feel more like a western mid-way through the story.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The reviews for this film are rather unkind on the IMDb. I watched it on YouTube a few months ago. I agree the film is flawed and Duryea is not used enough in it. But Mason fans will like it. And it is very atmospherically shot. Visually it screams noir from start to finish, even when it does feel more like a western mid-way through the story.

I think a restoration would give it more points with viewers.  That Youtube copy is pretty bad ( at least the one I saw).  You can still tell it was filmed very well though.  Kino or somebody needs to restore this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moorman said:

I think a restoration would give it more points with viewers.  That Youtube copy is pretty bad ( at least the one I saw).  You can still tell it was filmed very well though.  Kino or somebody needs to restore this.

It's more of a genre hybrid than a pure noir, so I think that's why some people don't like it. It's not easy to define.

• Like 1