Moorman

And Then There Were None (1945)

6 posts in this topic

If there is already a thread about this, my bad. I like Walter Huston so I had to check this out. I knew nothing about the movie or the book that influenced it.  At first, i didn't think i would like this film.  I thought the light tone of the film would dominate but it did not.  The plot has enough interesting things going on that it keeps you drawn in.  You cannot let it go until you find out who Mr. Owens really is.  The cinematography, acting, directing and plot are on point in this one.  I can see why its been remade several times. Its a very good plot.  Walter Huston has a wide range of acting ability and again it shows in this one.  I don't know where this was filmed but it was really done well. I rate this a solid 8 out of 10...

2ithtee.jpg

• Like 1

It's very good, an impressive cast to be sure. It was independently produced by released thru 20th Century Fox. Its copyright was not renewed so it is in the public domain now. 

The British remake, TEN LITTLE INDIANS (1965), is in my opinion far superior. That's because the Brits were allowed to make it with Christie's original ending intact. So no production code hindering the outcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Little_Indians_(1965_film)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It's very good, an impressive cast to be sure. It was independently produced by released thru 20th Century Fox. Its copyright was not renewed so it is in the public domain now. 

The British remake, TEN LITTLE INDIANS (1965), is in my opinion far superior. That's because the Brits were allowed to make it with Christie's original ending intact. So no production code hindering the outcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Little_Indians_(1965_film)

I love this version soo much that I don't know if I wanna see another version, lol.  I didn't know what to expect when i saw this version and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be pretty good.  I'm gonna go ahead and watch the remake. Thanx...

• Like 1

There was a miniseries that aired on Lifetime back in 2015.  It was very well done, with the original ending intact.  Out of all the despicable characters, the one that tops the cake is probably Vera Claythorne, at least based on this miniseries. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

There was a miniseries that aired on Lifetime back in 2015.  It was very well done, with the original ending intact.  Out of all the despicable characters, the one that tops the cake is probably Vera Claythorne, at least based on this miniseries. 

One gripe I have with all the versions is the way the producers list the cast in the opening credits. You know that whoever gets top billing will have the most screen time and make it to the end. Thus the surprise is ruined if you know who the star is because they won't die. I think this is a situation where the cast should be listed alphabetically or else not listed at all until the end, after the story has finished.

• Like 2

I've seen the 1945 film and the Russian 1980s version. The Russian film comes close to getting the mood and ending right. 

I think Agatha Christie made a serious mistake when she changed the ending of her book, and the WRONG ending was used in the '45 movie. 

With this story, I think that the novel is perfection. I doubt that any version will do justice to this brilliant mystery.

I do like the cast of the '45 film.