Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

Manhandled (1949)

4 posts in this topic

This was a unexpected surprise. I had to see it because of Dan Duryea.  For those who might not be aware of the plot.  Ms Bennett has a jewel collection she wears that is worth $100,000. Her husband keeps having nightmares that he is gonna do his wife in.  He is seeing a doctor about it and is almost convinced that he might want to hurt her for her jewels.  The Doc's secretary lives in the same building as private investigator Karl Benson.  The wife gets knocked off and the plot goes into setups and twists and turns that will keep you on your toes.  Duryea is fantastic as always.  Another unexpected surprise was to see Alan Napier as the husband.  The serious tone of the plot is balanced by light comic action between the lead detective on the case, his subordinates and Sterling Hayden who is a insurance investigator.

Turner Classics said that the film was not initially received well because of the somewhat complicated, confusing plot. I found the plot to better than the REALLY confusing plots of The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep.  The writers threw enough at you to make you think but didn't beat you up with it. I saw this on Youtube and will try and find a blu ray or dvd copy.  I rate this a solid 7.5 out of 10.

nq3ccz.jpg

23mwy2v.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moorman said:

This was a unexpected surprise. I had to see it because of Dan Duryea.  For those who might not be aware of the plot.  Ms Bennett has a jewel collection she wears that is worth $100,000. Her husband keeps having nightmares that he is gonna do his wife in.  He is seeing a doctor about it and is almost convinced that he might want to hurt her for her jewels.  The Doc's secretary lives in the same building as private investigator Karl Benson.  The wife gets knocked off and the plot goes into setups and twists and turns that will keep you on your toes.  Duryea is fantastic as always.  Another unexpected surprise was to see Alan Napier as the husband.  The serious tone of the plot is balanced by light comic action between the lead detective on the case, his subordinates and Sterling Hayden who is a insurance investigator.

Turner Classics said that the film was not initially received well because of the somewhat complicated, confusing plot. I found the plot to better than the REALLY confusing plots of The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep.  The writers threw enough at you to make you think but didn't beat you up with it. I saw this on Youtube and will try and find a blu ray or dvd copy.  I rate this a solid 7.5 out of 10.

nq3ccz.jpg

23mwy2v.jpg

I have seen this film a few times (I believe on TCM),  and I enjoyed it.  Nice to see the beautiful Lamour doing something different than a musical or comedy (Road picture).   Hayden is somewhat flat in this film but Duryea makes up for that.    One key noir scene is how Duryea kills a man using his car.    Classic!   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have seen this film a few times (I believe on TCM),  and I enjoyed it.  Nice to see the beautiful Lamour doing something different than a musical or comedy (Road picture).   Hayden is somewhat flat in this film but Duryea makes up for that.    One key noir scene is how Duryea kills a man using his car.    Classic!   

There are some actors that when I see their name attached to a project its a INSTANT watch. Dan Duryea is one of them. He reminds me of a more sinister Richard Widmark.  I love Widmark by the way and he is another instant watch for me.  There is currently no DVD or Blu Ray available from Amazon.  There are several Duryea films that I wish Criterion or Kino would go back and restore. Another one is The Scarlet Hour.

35 minutes ago, Moorman said:

There are some actors that when I see their name attached to a project its a INSTANT watch. Dan Duryea is one of them. He reminds me of a more sinister Richard Widmark.  I love Widmark by the way and he is another instant watch for me.  There is currently no DVD or Blu Ray available from Amazon.  There are several Duryea films that I wish Criterion or Kino would go back and restore. Another one is The Scarlet Hour.

Dan Duryea is also a must-watch type actor for me.   Along with Van Heflin they are my favor second-tier actors;  i.e. actors that often played the secondary male lead in a film but often overshadow the lead male actor.

Of course both actors also had leading roles but the best films they are in are where they are not the lead.  

• Like 1