jakeem

Actor Tab Hunter (1931-2018)

54 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if the whole film of The Pajama Game is on YouTube, but some of the musical numbers are. The staging of "There Once Was a Man" is delightful. Of course, that just made me want to see the whole movie on the big screen.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I totally see your point, TB that the person's career is overridden by references to Henry Wilson, and you are right that this is a sad thing about their obituaries or commentary on their careers. It would be nice if just their career achievements are discussed and appreciated after their demise.

I will say that Henry Willson, is a topic though to be discussed at a later time, due to his incessant renaming of young male actors with monikers like Rock, Tab, Guy, Ty, Rory and such. Not sure he came up with all of those who were his clients, but I do attribute this type of phony baloney first naming of attractive young males as the forerunner of a type of soap opera character naming or even the silliness of names like Brick, for male characters in Broadway plays and movies. Whether this is a bad thing or a good thing, it all probably comes back to Henry Willson and his affinity for renaming his clients with such wacky nametags, and is still a part of Hollywood legerdemain, in the magic way of a rose is still a rose by another name apparently.

That Henry Willson was allowed to reign - unfettered - for so many years in Hollywood is probably a very accurate indicator of the treatment of beautiful young men in Hollywood.

James Dean broke into the Hollywood firmament by being intimate with a top executive, Rogers Brackett.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2018 at 1:18 PM, Hibi said:

That may be it. Donen is still living, so his heirs wouldnt be involved. I hadnt realized Donen directed Yankees too. TCM DID show Pajama Game many years ago......

The Pajama Game is/was on Amazon Prime.  I have a copy of it because it was included in a Doris Day boxed set that I purchased.

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The Pajama Game is/was on Amazon Prime.  I have a copy of it because it was included in a Doris Day boxed set that I purchased.

Nice to know since we're approaching the annual Amazon Prime Day on the 16th.