Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

Oasis in Desert

12 posts in this topic

Howdy All!

Just wanted to drop in for a bit so you all can see I'm still alive and tapping the QWERTY...
Just been busy with life...
My fellow Kepis blancs and I have been taking things a bit easy under the palms at the oasis and were able to catch some TCM on TV this week... Love the new host from Aussieland, Alicia Malone... (The OTHER new host is ok too...)
Anyway, as I've said before, TCM is like a beautiful oasis in the desert of crap that is cable TV...

Back to the Legion life, mes amis...

Hope nobody is a fightin' and a trouble-makin' on the message board...

Foreign_Legion_Atlantide2.jpg

Hey Randy, glad you're relaxing and doing well.

A fightin' and trouble makin' on the message boards - whatever do you mean? ;)

• Haha 1

Certainly sounds from your post and your photo as if you may be aware of a contentious thread that begin with a board member expressing anger over a comment made by Ben M. when introducing that Bengal Lancer movie. A thread in which, I must admit, I have been an active participant. But other than that, pretty quiet ...

At the oasis?

PLEASE don't tell us you posted this at MIDNIGHT!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Certainly sounds from your post and your photo as if you may be aware of a contentious thread that begin with a board member expressing anger over a comment made by Ben M. when introducing that Bengal Lancer movie. A thread in which, I must admit, I have been an active participant. But other than that, pretty quiet ...

Salut, was unaware of Ben M.'s alleged transgression but had a quick gander after reading your post.
"The Lives of a Bengal Lancer" was a product of its time. Very loosely based on a book by an ex-Lancer officer (the officers and NCOs in the British Indian Army were mostly Brits and the common soldiers they commanded were Indian). Anyway, I think Ben M. can be forgiven. If anything, Ben M. should have related what infamous film reviewer Adolf Hitler said to Lord Halifax (British Foreign Secretary in 1937 at the time of his meeting with Hitler) about the movie (it was one of Hitler's favourites, apparently), Hitler stating that it showed a: "handful of Britons holding a continent in thrall. That was how a superior race must behave and the film was compulsory viewing for the S.S." 
Would be interesting to see what someone in India thinks of this film?
Anyway, that's as far as I'm wading into that... Duty calls, you know...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

At the oasis?

PLEASE don't tell us you posted this at MIDNIGHT!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Haw, haw, haw... Yes, mon ami, you are obviously an older gentleman - as I am - to remember that song...
As Maurice Chevalier sang: "Ah yes, I remember it well...".

For you young'uns, the tune was released waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1973 and sung by Maria Muldaur:

• Like 1

Photo attached to my original post in this thread shows me (either on the left or the right, I can't remember?) with an ami and a dame. We're two kepis blancs in the Sahara, get lost, and accidentally discover the lost realm of Atlantis (ruled by Queen Antinea). Basically the plot of G.W. Pabst's film "L'Atlantide" from 1932. Itself a remake of the 1921 silent original by Jacques Feyder, based on the novel by Pierre Benoit...

Anyway, this whole thing is a lame attempt at humour - I've been away from the message board for so long, that some might think I ran off and joined the Foreign Legion...

Adieu, mes amis...

7 minutes ago, RMeingast said:

Photo attached to my original post in this thread shows me (either on the left or the right, I can't remember?) with an ami and a dame. We're two kepis blancs in the Sahara, get lost, and accidentally discover the lost realm of Atlantis (ruled by Queen Antinea). Basically the plot of G.W. Pabst's film "L'Atlantide" from 1932. Itself a remake of the 1921 silent original by Jacques Feyder, based on the novel by Pierre Benoit...

Anyway, this whole thing is a lame attempt at humour - I've been away from the message board for so long, that some might think I ran off and joined the Foreign Legion...

Adieu, mes amis...

Just played my dvd of "L'Atlantide" for some unsuspecting film friends. They did not like it, to their continual shame.

If you do join the Foreign Legion, say hi to Buster Crabbe for me.

47 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

If you do join the Foreign Legion, say hi to Buster Crabbe for me.

Will do. Along with Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Ronald Coleman, Alan Ladd, Leslie Nielsen (Yes!), Phil Silvers, Nat King Cole (Yes, a kepi blanc), and many other Hollywood actors...

Anyway, Marty Feldman and the rest of the Legion better get to protecting the message board from all the spam...

Marty_Feldman.jpg

• Haha 1

If I am seeing a Mirage, I would hope it would be in Las Vegas, RM!

I bet Marty Feldman would be seeing two Mirage Hotels though...

Oh, oh... Looks like trouble is coming our way... Can't tell yet if they're friendlies or Sacha Baron Cohen and his film crew???

Anyway, it was nice interacting with y'all again... Just a few tidbits to leave you with before I go... "Kepi blanc" is the nickname for a Legionnaire... It simply means "white kepi" in English...
Some Hollywood flicks, such as "Two Mules for Sister Sara," feature the Foreign Legion in Mexico in the 1860's. That was a time when the French ruled in Mexico and the Legion was there to enforce French rule. Anyway, the movie mentioned above, for example, regard the Legion in Mexico as bad guys... Clint Eastwood versus the French Foreign Legion... But to the French, they were heroes. The Foreign Legion had their "Alamo" in Mexico at the Battle of Camerone on April 30, 1863, where 65 Legionnaires fought c. 2,000 Mexican soldiers. It's still a very big deal with the Legion and they commemorate the battle every year on Camerone Day: http://foreignlegion.info/battle-of-camerone/
Of course, the Mexicans have a different take on the battle...

Anyway, still can't tell if it's Sacha Baron Cohen and his entourage or the real thing heading at us... Can any of you tell from the photo below?

BTW, there's a different "Sister Sara" here - Sarah P. - who'd love to run her bayonet through Baron Cohen... Oh well...

Duty calls, mes amis, and I bid you all adieu...

Desert_attack.jpg