Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Watching 1950's Rocky Mountain, And The Sad Change in A Man

32 posts in this topic

Ha! Thanks for that quote, Tom.
Doesn't EVERY person contemplate where their life is once they realize they are now on the decline? It's called mid-life crisis. At best we can reflect on where our youth & ambition took us, at worst we feel the ship has sailed without us. Everyone realizes how much youth & energy we wasted, and usually most change their goals.

It's just particularly sad when it happens in front of an audience gleefully watching for a "fall". Sometimes we're lucky to be nobody.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Ha! Thanks for that quote, Tom.
Doesn't EVERY person contemplate where their life is once they realize they are now on the decline? It's called mid-life crisis. At best we can reflect on where our youth & ambition took us, at worst we feel the ship has sailed without us. Everyone realizes how much youth & energy we wasted, and usually most change their goals.

It's just particularly sad when it happens in front of an audience gleefully watching for a "fall". Sometimes we're lucky to be nobody.

One more thing to be kept in mind, though, Tiki, is that at least twice Flynn had been told by doctors that he wouldn't have much longer to live. He was told so by an Italian doctor in 1953 regarding his liver. (Earlier he had been informed that his lungs were pretty well shot). Flynn wrote about the Italian doctor's report (with dark humour yet!) in his autobiography. He seemed less concerned with the news than with his general indifference to the news. I suspect he was not afraid of death like so many others.

In any event it added, I suspect, to Flynn's decision to dissipate himself even further with a "What the hell. Let's go out with a bang!" attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder; if Flynn had been around today instead of the mid 1930's - late 1950's, would he have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and perhaps ADHD. I read his autobiography around 1990, and that was the first impression I got. The "all or nothing" behavior, the inability to concentrate on improving one's life- they all seemed like a red flag to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I wonder; if Flynn had been around today instead of the mid 1930's - late 1950's, would he have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and perhaps ADHD. I read his autobiography around 1990, and that was the first impression I got. The "all or nothing" behavior, the inability to concentrate on improving one's life- they all seemed like a red flag to me.

That's interesting conjecturing, sagebrush.

I recall one of Flynn's biographers also theorizing about the possibility that Errol had ADHD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TomJH said:

That's interesting conjecturing, sagebrush.

I recall one of Flynn's biographers also theorizing about the possibility that Errol had ADHD.

Robert Matzen mentions possible ADHD in Errol and Olivia.  Flynn had trouble remembering his lines, even in his younger days, and apparently, occasionally ad-libbed, but if the words fit the scene, it was kept.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us