Sign in to follow this  
Debra Johnson

Can someone help me remember the name of this movie please!

3 posts in this topic

It's set during WWII.  It opens w/a woman's husband going off to war (or maybe he's already gone and she receives a letter).  Anyways, there are 3 kids (I think) and older daughter, a young girl and perhaps a little boy.  THe family seems to be pretty well off.  I THINK they receive word the father is killed in action so they take in a boarder.....who for some reason (I'm thinking) it comes out doesn't have a relationship w/his grandson.  Somehow the grandson ends up in the town, he's a terrible mess up.  He and the older daughter fall in love.  He ends up joining the military to gain his grandpa's respect....and ends up being killed.  His death make the older daughter who'd been somewhat shallow mature quickly.

THe only thing I can recall definitely about the movie is after the daughter's beau is killed, she's working as a nurse (I think) and some older women in the town offend her by saying they could never be a nurse (I think) and she gives a rather drawn out silloloquy (sp).  

The movie is NOT "The Best Years of Our Lives".

You're thinking of the 1944 film "Since You Went Away" with Claudette Colbert, Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones, Robert Walker, Shirley Temple and Monty Woolley as the irascible lodger.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Midge said:

You're thinking of the 1944 film "Since You Went Away" with Claudette Colbert, Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones, Robert Walker, Shirley Temple and Monty Woolley as the irascible lodger.

Thank you!  Just found it online and am watching it now!

• Like 1