Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

Audrey Hepburn Restaurant in China

15 posts in this topic

Relative of Audrey Hepburn is suing a restaurant in Suzhou City, China, for "personality rights infringement."
In English, the joint is called "Angel's Lakeview Garden Cafe," but in Chinese characters they use Audrey Hepburn's name. And inside, the greasy chopstick makes use of Audrey Hepburn in its decor, menu, etc.

In related news, the Mexican-style Burrito restaurant in the same city, called "We Ain't Got No Stinkin' Tacos," with a "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" decor and menu, has hired a lawyer, just in case...

Article about the Hepburn kerfuffle below:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/audrey-hepburn-themed-restaurant-in-china-sued-for-rights-infringement-2_2583298.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with that! (the Chinese). Audrey is very big over there. I know her sons are very hands on about protecting her image rights........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the amount of Disney appropriation that happens in China's theme parks, I've often wondered:

Do Communist countries--even those trying to go commercial--even UNDERSTAND the idea of "Copyright"?  Generations have grown up without the idea of "personal property", are still trying to get their heads around the subtleties of Capitalism, and are just managing to get past "Grab something popular and sell it."

Seems whenever there's a sleazy scam that doesn't really bother with breaking the rules, treating its customers like gullible idiots, or selling second- or third-hand goods from the West with the serial numbers filed off, it's always Russia or China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Given the amount of Disney appropriation that happens in China's theme parks, I've often wondered:

Do Communist countries--even those trying to go commercial--even UNDERSTAND the idea of "Copyright"?  Generations have grown up without the idea of "personal property", are still trying to get their heads around the subtleties of Capitalism, and are just managing to get past "Grab something popular and sell it."

Seems whenever there's a sleazy scam that doesn't really bother with breaking the rules, treating its customers like gullible idiots, or selling second- or third-hand goods from the West with the serial numbers filed off, it's always Russia or China.

The government of the PRC considers intellectual property laws to be a quaint western custom.  They're considered a joke.  Their video stores are/were full of pirated DVDs; their record stores are/were full of pirated CDs.  In the same vein, international animal trafficking laws, as well as other international environmental laws, are considered to be jokes.  Phony Apple computer stores, knockoff electronics, stolen computer and industrial technology, theft of data and technology over the internet, etc. etc. PRC government-owned computer companies steal western technology without blinking an eye.  You think they're going to care about some restaurant using the image of some dead actress that nobody in the Prime Minister's cabinet has ever heard of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, karlofffan said:

The government of the PRC considers intellectual property laws to be a quaint western custom.  They're considered a joke.  Their video stores are/were full of pirated DVDs; their record stores are/were full of pirated CDs.  In the same vein, international animal trafficking laws, as well as other international environmental laws, are considered to be jokes.  Phony Apple computer stores, knockoff electronics, stolen computer and industrial technology, theft of data and technology over the internet, etc. etc. PRC government-owned computer companies steal western technology without blinking an eye.  You think they're going to care about some restaurant using the image of some dead actress that nobody in the Prime Minister's cabinet has ever heard of?

Many of the Americans under 40 that I know feel the same way as it relates to intellectual property.    E.g. I see this at the Jazz Guitar Forum website.   People will post something (e.g. a video of a concert,  or a music lesson plan, etc..),  and we will ask 'did you get permission to post this from the owner \ creator?     90% of the time we just get the finger with a 'what are you the police' type reply.

When I explain I'm a software engineer (E.g. I have created patterned software since I'm a hack as a musician),  I'm just told I'm greedy for expecting to be paid.

  

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Many of the Americans under 40 that I know feel the same way as it relates to intellectual property.    E.g. I see this at the Jazz Guitar Forum website.   People will post something (e.g. a video of a concert,  or a music lesson plan, etc..),  and we will ask 'did you get permission to post this from the owner \ creator?     90% of the time we just get the finger with a 'what are you the police' type reply.

There's a difference between Internet posting a YouTube clip, and building an entire theme park of bad (bad) off-the-rack Disney party-mascot characters miles from Hong Kong Disneyland.

The park's slogan?  I kid you not:  "Disney is too far, try us instead!"  That pretty well sums up the entire Chinese mentality toward western properties--Who cares about paying them, they're too far away to know our business!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, karlofffan said:

The government of the PRC considers intellectual property laws to be a quaint western custom.  They're considered a joke.  Their video stores are/were full of pirated DVDs; their record stores are/were full of pirated CDs.  In the same vein, international animal trafficking laws, as well as other international environmental laws, are considered to be jokes.  Phony Apple computer stores, knockoff electronics, stolen computer and industrial technology, theft of data and technology over the internet, etc. etc. PRC government-owned computer companies steal western technology without blinking an eye.  You think they're going to care about some restaurant using the image of some dead actress that nobody in the Prime Minister's cabinet has ever heard of?

Never heard of? Audrey Hepburn is HUGE in Japan and I assume China too. She's very big over there. Was and is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Never heard of? Audrey Hepburn is HUGE in Japan and I assume China too. She's very big over there. Was and is.

Why would you assume that AH is HUGE in China?  Do you actually think that Japan and China are similar culturally and historically over the past century - or six?  Aren't you aware that Japan has been an open, western, capitalist country, since 1945?  And that the PRC has been a closed, communist, anti-western country?  Do you really think AH movies - or ANY western movies - were ever allowed to be shown in the PRC during the reign of Chairman Mao, during the Cultural Revolution, when ANYONE with any western-style education was sent to re-education camps?  People were sent to re-education camps if they so much as owned a piano.  Up until the past few years, only about 20 or so Hollywood films were allowed to be shown per year in the PRC.  That was one of the reasons why pirated DVDs were so common in PRC stores.  I'm sorry, but you REALLY, REALLY, ought to do some heavy-duty reading on the comparative post World War II histories of Japan and China. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, karlofffan said:

Why would you assume that AH is HUGE in China?  Do you actually think that Japan and China are similar culturally and historically over the past century - or six?  Aren't you aware that Japan has been an open, western, capitalist country, since 1945?  And that the PRC has been a closed, communist, anti-western country?  Do you really think AH movies - or ANY western movies - were ever allowed to be shown in the PRC during the reign of Chairman Mao, during the Cultural Revolution, when ANYONE with any western-style education was sent to re-education camps?  People were sent to re-education camps if they so much as owned a piano.  Up until the past few years, only about 20 or so Hollywood films were allowed to be shown per year in the PRC.  That was one of the reasons why pirated DVDs were so common in PRC stores.  I'm sorry, but you REALLY, REALLY, ought to do some heavy-duty reading on the comparative post World War II histories of Japan and China. 

AH and Hollywood films in general might be 'big' in Hong Kong,  but yea,  not on mainland China as a whole.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

AH and Hollywood films in general might be 'big' in Hong Kong,  but yea,  not on mainland China as a whole.

 

Mainland China is one of Hollywood's biggest markets....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

AH and Hollywood films in general might be 'big' in Hong Kong,  but yea,  not on mainland China as a whole.

As Karloffan points out, mainland China may watch Western movies, but they don't really KNOW Western movies.

Recently, a lot of gold-rushing studios have discovered that not every Hollywood movie plays out of context over there--Hollywood was at a loss to understand why the new Star Wars films tanked in mainland China, even when it was pointed out that A) Beijing was closed off to the west in 1977 and couldn't care less about George Lucas, and B ) the Rebellion doesn't exactly play well with a population happily living under the State...Some polled even said that they sympathized with the Empire trying to restore order.  There's similar theories for why comic-book superheroes  like Batman and Spiderman don't quite take off in Asian countries (let alone Black Panther, in countries with almost no black people), ie. that collective Asian societies don't understand why someone would try to fight crime himself rather than go to the police.  And, of course, that glorious bit of karma when the "Ghostbusters" remake thought they'd recoup their losses overseas, and had their invitation revoked for promoting the supernatural...At one point, the State was even trying to pick a fight with "Zootopia" for its "unscientific" suggestion that rabbits and sheep could outwit foxes.

With the amount of State crackdown on cultural properties--no government criticism, no sex, no life in glamorous foreign countries--the only American movies that do well are shiny action/sci-fantasies in no real-world location and CGI animals...Dreaming is the opiate of the masses.

As for Audrey Hepburn iconography, they may know her Breakfast at Tiffany gloves or her My Fair Lady derby-dress as "Western-film" icons, but few deep discussions of Roman Holiday, I'm guessing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Mainland China is one of Hollywood's biggest markets....

Only since the 90's, or later.  They aren't watching old Audrey Hepburn films.  They're watching CGI-laden action film blockbusters, with as little dialogue as possible.  Before the 90's, Hollywood films were available in the PRC only as pirated VHS tapes.  And only in the past 10 years has the quota of 20 Hollywood films per year in theaters been increased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, karlofffan said:

Why would you assume that AH is HUGE in China?  Do you actually think that Japan and China are similar culturally and historically over the past century - or six?  Aren't you aware that Japan has been an open, western, capitalist country, since 1945?  And that the PRC has been a closed, communist, anti-western country?  Do you really think AH movies - or ANY western movies - were ever allowed to be shown in the PRC during the reign of Chairman Mao, during the Cultural Revolution, when ANYONE with any western-style education was sent to re-education camps?  People were sent to re-education camps if they so much as owned a piano.  Up until the past few years, only about 20 or so Hollywood films were allowed to be shown per year in the PRC.  That was one of the reasons why pirated DVDs were so common in PRC stores.  I'm sorry, but you REALLY, REALLY, ought to do some heavy-duty reading on the comparative post World War II histories of Japan and China. 

No thank you. I'm sure she's known there NOW. WHy use her name then????? She is huge all over the orient and has been, not just Japan. I would think that would filter into China by now as well. WHO is talking about Chairman Mao?? P-ss Off!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Mainland China is one of Hollywood's biggest markets....

Dont argue, he's done research! No AH films in China! No pictures or anything on the internet either....No one knows her!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karlofffan said:

Only since the 90's, or later.  They aren't watching old Audrey Hepburn films.  They're watching CGI-laden action film blockbusters, with as little dialogue as possible.  Before the 90's, Hollywood films were available in the PRC only as pirated VHS tapes.  And only in the past 10 years has the quota of 20 Hollywood films per year in theaters been increased.

I don't know if anyone's caught the documentary Chuck Norris Vs. Communism, about the underground influence of American pirated-VHS in 80's Romania just before Ceaucescu's overthrow, but it does rather shed some light on why China is "so crazy about American movies"--Like the old saying, if a starving man wants food, he doesn't care whether he gets a steak dinner or a Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast.

And, like most Chinese products, now that they've developed big Hollywood-wannabe studios and animation divisions of their own, and have learned how to copy American action films and Dreamworks/Illumination cute-critter CGI movies, how "starving" will they be over the next few years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us