Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

It's movie heaven, 1961 style : SUSAN SLADE

20 posts in this topic

a GREAT teen/woman's film with all the cast, glamour and story any movie needs.

Best of all, we get to see TROY DONAHUE and CONNIE STEVENS rule the screen.

Serious, interesting, maddening, and fascinating---it is movie to the nth degree.

Don't miss this one.

• Like 3

I really liked this film as well.  I love the 1950s/1960s teen melodramas.  Susan Slade does not disappoint.  It has everything you could possibly want from a melodrama.  I also really like the 1950s/1960s teen idols.  Not that I'm a teenager, but today's teen idols (and even the teen idols from when I was a teenager) are jokes.  James Darren and Ricky Nelson are my faves. 

• Like 3

I'm crazy about " A Summer Place " and unfortunately I judge all these other Delmer Daves young love type movies against that movie.

And " Susan Slade" just doesn't really come up to it, worse than that it's kind of boring.

I don't think it's even as good as "Parrish", another Troy Donahue epic which was the last big screen role for Claudette Colbert.

Also, Delmer's European epic of young passionate love,  "Rome Adventure", which also stars Troy, is certainly better than both "Parrish" and "Susan". But it did have a little help from Rome, the hit record " Al Di La " and the reappearance of the brilliant actress Constance Ford from " A Summer Place", along with the solid acting of Suzanne Pleshette.

In all fairness, Connie Stevens' limited acting does hold the film back-- Warners was unable to make her a movie star.

Even though "Susan Slade" has to be the most formula- boring of the 4, it still has a lot of melodramatic fun. 

Troy is still mighty good to look and he has the most marvelous voice of his generation.

While old Lloyd Nolan carries this movie-- as far as he can. LOL

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Delmer Daves in general, but I have to say his movies often veered awfully close to bad-movies-we-love territory  I agree with Princess that A Summer Place is the pick of the litter, but I too have a soft spot for Susan Slade

A number of years back John Waters released a coffee table book called "Director's Cut", made up of Polaroid screen shots taken from TV and VHS video releases. He broke down segments into individual shots in some cases, like the landscape shots in the title sequence of Peyton Place and the jigsaw puzzle of Carroll Baker's face in Sylvia, all stuff only a movie nut would appreciate. (My favorite was called "Dorothy Malone's Collar", showing a bunch of examples of Dorothy's famous upturned collar from different films. Also "Lana Turner From The Back", which was just that, shots of her from behind.) He did four pages of shots from Susan Slade, including a shot of the ridiculously obvious burning plastic baby doll substituting for Susan's kid, as well as beautiful gauzy images of Connie, Troy and Grant Williams, the elusive father of her child. Movie heaven indeed, papyrubeetle.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm crazy about " A Summer Place " and unfortunately I judge all these other Delmer Daves young love type movies against that movie.

And " Susan Slade" just doesn't really come up to it, worse than that it's kind of boring.

I don't think it's even as good as "Parrish", another Troy Donahue epic which was the last big screen role for Claudette Colbert.

Also, Delmer's European epic of young passionate love,  "Rome Adventure", which also stars Troy, is certainly better than both "Parrish" and "Susan". But it did have a little help from Rome, the hit record " Al Di La " and the reappearance of the brilliant actress Constance Ford from " A Summer Place", along with the solid acting of Suzanne Pleshette.

In all fairness, Connie Stevens' limited acting does hold the film back-- Warners was unable to make her a movie star.

Even though "Susan Slade" has to be the most formula- boring of the 4, it still has a lot of melodramatic fun. 

Troy is still mighty good to look and he has the most marvelous voice of his generation.

While old Lloyd Nolan carries this movie-- as far as he can. LOL

I also love A Summer Place.  The music (appropriately titled "A Theme from A Summer Place") that is present throughout the film is what makes it.  I am a big fan of Sandra Dee and Dorothy McGuire.  Troy Donahue is great as is everyone else in the cast.  One of my favorite scenes is when Richard Egan tears apart Constance Ford when she displays yet another prejudice.  I will agree that A Summer Place is the best of the teen melodramas from that period.  But I do love Susan Slade as well.  I also love Troy Donahue, he's also one of the best teen idols from that era.

Give me a marathon of 1950s/1960s teen melodramas and beach movies any day.

• Like 2

I loved SUSAN SLADE because it set the characters completely in the social world they were sort

of forced to live in. It might be nice to be rich and respected, but there is a brutal price to pay

sometimes. Even among world travelers and "important" people like the older ones in this cast,

it is a small world with social rules. These people can suffer. This is not an escapist movie.

We might want to SCREAM at Susan's parents to send her to a POSH boarding school for her

teen years and give her SOME social life, but we know we are still in reality. 

"Only" children are not "pets" to keep with you forever!

Parents can be blind.

Susan Slade, Parrish, A Summer Place, Rome Adventure....these were my teen movies to die for! I know they were artistically, uh, not quite the best, but I loved them just the same. Watch them every chance I get when they're on. Delmer Daves' direction & Max Steiner's score...what more could you ask for.

Even the corny dialog and some near-laughable scenes are all dear to my heart. Especially love Troy running out of Connie's house holding baby Rogie after kid was playing w/the lighter. Obviously they had to use a doll, but it was so painfully obvious it was one. Love it.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 3:34 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

a GREAT teen/woman's film with all the cast, glamour and story any movie needs.

Best of all, we get to see TROY DONAHUE and CONNIE STEVENS rule the screen.

Serious, interesting, maddening, and fascinating---it is movie to the nth degree.

Don't miss this one.

What's heaven for me in watching this flick, is seeing Grant Williams, as Conn!

Hello.  I'm new to the board and wanted to cast my belated vote for Susan Slade, which is probably my second favorite of all the Troy/Sandra/Connie/Suzanne movies of that period, Parrish being number one (after all, that one does have Claudette Colbert).  I am of an age that was probably the target audience for these movies in the early 1960s, and for me and my friends, Troy could do no wrong, not even when he beat up Susan Kohner in Imitation of Life.  

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Susan Slade was originally intended for Sandra Dee, but the studio decided that her pristine image would be tarnished by an out of wedlock movie pregnancy, so the more streetwise but still sweet Stevens was cast instead.

And I agree with CaveGirl -- not enough Grant Williams.  But there are two of my favorites, Lloyd Nolan and Dorothy McGuire.

Susan Kohner.  She is in a couple of Route 66 TV shows and was a much better actress than I realized.  Always thought she was one of several that were "modeled" in the Natalie Wood mold.

I really like Suzanne Pleshette, but somehow the movies in which she appeared were not that great.  As for Troy Donahue, one of the dullest, most wooden actors I have ever seen.

I like Parrish (actually read the book) because of the then permissible tobacco farming connection and Rome Adventure for beautiful scenery, good music, Pleshette and Rossano Brazzi.  Have Rome Adventure on DVD and watch it occasionally and fast forward through some of the Donahue scenes.  Greatest line is Pleshette's "You could, you should and you will" in reference to Donahue's failed seduction attempt and where he will spend the night.

The other movies, not very much.  Only thing worse than Donahue is Sandra Dee.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Susan Kohner.  She is in a couple of Route 66 TV shows and was a much better actress than I realized.  Always thought she was one of several that were "modeled" in the Natalie Wood mold.

I really like Suzanne Pleshette, but somehow the movies in which she appeared were not that great.  As for Troy Donahue, one of the dullest, most wooden actors I have ever seen.

I like Parrish (actually read the book) because of the then permissible tobacco farming connection and Rome Adventure for beautiful scenery, good music, Pleshette and Rossano Brazzi.  Have Rome Adventure on DVD and watch it occasionally and fast forward through some of the Donahue scenes.  Greatest line is Pleshette's "You could, you should and you will" in reference to Donahue's failed seduction attempt and where he will spend the night.

The other movies, not very much.  Only thing worse than Donahue is Sandra Dee.

I agree with everything you say here expect Sandra Dee.    I'm a sucker when it comes to her cuteness (but I can see why that is off-putting to others).   I have no better judgement then Moondoggie! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nobody said Troy Donahue wasn't wooden, but when I was 13 or so, I didn't care.  My love of him and his movies stems from, I think, fond memories, rather than cinematic aesthetics.  In retrospect, I think it was the fact that he had that mellow, deep voice that appealed us (along with his height, eyes, hair, and face in general, and oh, those white pants).  Most other actors of the same age at that time were still sounding a bit adolescent.

I remember not liking Rome Adventure very much when I was younger, and these days I find it excruciatingly outdated and sexist.  Pleshette had a great wardrobe, though.  I think the movie was made around the time she and Donahue were married for about six minutes?

I was never a great big fan of Sandra Dee, although I don't dislike her.  For me it was Connie all the way, and it still is.

BTW, my daughter and I often joke with the phrase "That chap down at the stables," which Donahue improbably utters in Susan Slade.

On 8/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, Emily Emerac said:

Hello.  I'm new to the board and wanted to cast my belated vote for Susan Slade, which is probably my second favorite of all the Troy/Sandra/Connie/Suzanne movies of that period, Parrish being number one (after all, that one does have Claudette Colbert).  I am of an age that was probably the target audience for these movies in the early 1960s, and for me and my friends, Troy could do no wrong, not even when he beat up Susan Kohner in Imitation of Life.  

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Susan Slade was originally intended for Sandra Dee, but the studio decided that her pristine image would be tarnished by an out of wedlock movie pregnancy, so the more streetwise but still sweet Stevens was cast instead.

And I agree with CaveGirl -- not enough Grant Williams.  But there are two of my favorites, Lloyd Nolan and Dorothy McGuire.

Re: Sandra Dee not being cast in Susan Slade due to her image... She was an unwed, pregnant teenager in A Summer Place.  Though I believe she and Troy Donahue marry prior to the baby being born.  If that is indeed the reason she wasn't cast in Susan Slade, that is silly.

I know Dee and Donahue were definitely not the greatest actors in the world, but I enjoy them both.  I'm a sucker for the 50s/60s teen movies.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Re: Sandra Dee not being cast in Susan Slade due to her image... She was an unwed, pregnant teenager in A Summer Place.  Though I believe she and Troy Donahue marry prior to the baby being born.  If that is indeed the reason she wasn't cast in Susan Slade, that is silly.

I know Dee and Donahue were definitely not the greatest actors in the world, but I enjoy them both.  I'm a sucker for the 50s/60s teen movies.

Yes, well, studios can be silly, can't they?  It might just have been a PR justification for casting Stevens and not Dee.

On July 28, 2018 at 12:03 PM, CaveGirl said:

What's heaven for me in watching this flick, is seeing Grant Williams, as Conn!

When I was a teen, I was bat-$hit crazy for most all of Warner Bros. stable of young male actors, both from tv shows and flicks. Grant was definitely one of them. I remember him also as "The Incredible Shrinking Man". That sure taught me never to take a boat through any lingering atomic fog! 

• Thanks 1

Boy, good old Connie Stevens really had my sympathy in "Susan Slade" when Grant croaked as her boytoy, Conn and she was in you-know-what way. Grant was also so dishy in "Written on the Wind" as the too cute gas station attendant, named Biff. I would watch him in anything and loved seeing his naturally blond hair in the shrinking man saga and it was so sad when his wedding ring fell off in the car, and then the wife left him at home in the doll house and thought the cat ate him. But his shrinking size just meant that we in the audience, could enjoy watching him cavort around in that toga-like thing, even while fighting the spider over the piece of bread. I particularly dig him in "The Leech Woman" with Colleen Gray and "The Monolith Monsters". You are right, WB did have some cute tv stars in their many series like Roger Smith, Edd Byrnes, Robert Conrad, Anthony Eisley, Grant and that Van Williams was not bad too, plus many cute western stars. I guess Troy Donahue was good looking but he never appealed to me and seemed like a sullen life guard type. Thanks, Zea!

54 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Troy Donahue was good looking but he never appealed to me and seemed like a sullen life guard type.

Totally agree about Troy. Ditto all the studs you mentioned. Adding: Richard Long & Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (the intellectual types can be hot, too), Ty Hardin, ooh...and Ray Danton.?    Thanks for the dreamy memories, CaveGirl.

Thanks for agreeig about Troy and I think Suzanne Pleshette would agree too, Zea!

You mention two more good ones, and I purposely didn't include Efrem who was very handsome, but wasn't in that teen idol group in my mind like the others. Loved Ray Danton, and thought he was way too good for Julie Adams who I could never stand. He was fine as Legs Diamond too. Loved our mind meld, Zea!

5 hours ago, Emily Emerac said:

Yes, well, studios can be silly, can't they?  It might just have been a PR justification for casting Stevens and not Dee.

Not casting Dee to protect her image sounds like a PR stunt by the studio since, as Speedracer notes, she was in A Summer Place 18 months before,  and that film did well at the box office.  

With the theme song from the film by long time WB employee, Max Steiner, spending nine weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in 1960.[