spence

Is Steve McQueen "The King of Movie Cool?"

91 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The size of his feet had nothing to do with it.

Here's an explanation behind Wayne's lack of wartime service.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/john-wayne/252904/john-wayne-the-world-war-ii-hero-who-didnt-serve

and another

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1055/was-john-wayne-a-draft-dodger/

Interestingly, neither mention his football injury as cause for medical deferment. In fact, there's no mention of a medical deferment at all.

Are you certain because even books & elsewhere have always insisted on this?

1 minute ago, spence said:

Are you certain because even books & elsewhere have always insisted on this?

At any rate pretty cool website you linked me up to    How long have you known of it?

& you've likely heard me complaining about the sad closing of The CITADEL FILMS OF SERIES, his was one I wanted too.

I did get a terrific book-(supposed to be like cowhide) when he died June 11th, 1979 it was advertised on tv  & the one & only time I;ve ever seen all news & tv shows breaks break in was when he went!!!

I'm a huge Steve fan, as I often said   My very first hero as a kid  & musta' went to TOWERING INFERNO 5 times-(only a $buck$ then)

& that as another I eally wanted in the now sadly gone Citadel series-(most of all though NATALIE'S)

& in the back of the book on *BOGEY, it listed a lot more, but it went bye, bye apparently Even hard to find on Amazon.  I once got the Films of *GABLE for my grandmother, who used to love him way back since the 1930's, but she gave it back GO-FIGURE?

However, one I;m positive he was not proud of was (I think it's title was) THE HONEYMOON MACHINE-(who saw it?)

• Like 1

who wishes he did another with NATALIE WOOD & Should it have been in color?

LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER (strong ***) didn't just earn her her 3rd & final shot at *THE GOLDEN BOY but also snagg4ed a few other nods that year.  & of all people that played her boyfriend TOM BOSLEY? 

It's really strange they never made another film though?

1 hour ago, spence said:

I'm a huge Steve fan, as I often said   My very first hero as a kid  & musta' went to TOWERING INFERNO 5 times-(only a $buck$ then)

I enjoy THE TOWERING INFERNO as well, and it's also been one of my mom's favorites as well. 

• Like 1

BUT, whats you vote as his WORST film?

& who agrees with me, his penultimate release from 1980 TOM HORN (**1/2-out of four) is not as bad as many insist   Leonard Maltin only rates it (*1/2)?

I always pondered how tremendous that would have been had it eventually happened  My boyhood idol (Steve) vs My A #1 all-time idol (The Great Tracy) in THE CINCINNATTI KID

Still not certain which role the tragic Sharon Tate woulda played though, Ann-Margret's or Tuesday weld's?

ANY INFO?

3 minutes ago, spence said:

Still not certain which role the tragic Sharon Tate woulda played though, Ann-Margret's or Tuesday weld's?

Tate hadn't the range to play either part as well as A-M or Weld.

• Like 1

Also, I always thought it was Steve's attempt in his own fashion to again compete with *Newman, due to THE HUSTLER, where is he turned it to poker

Who rates his 1977 $B.O.$ fiasco ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE much higher?  & still, cast your vote for his worst of the (28)???

Almost 4-got,  does anybody own any books on THE KING OF MOVIE COOL ?

I must emphasize KING OF MOVIE COOL, because being a bona fide *SINATRA DECIPLE   To me *FRANCIS (Albert) SINATRA is my candidate as THE ALL-AROUND KING OF COOL!

THANX

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, darkblue said:

Tate hadn't the range to play either part as well as A-M or Weld.

AGREED!  Though I wager she was in the role of the good girl Weld originally

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, darkblue said:

He  was - in the 60's and early 70's anyway.

P.S. In my opinion 'Papillon' was the best performance of his career.

One movie that never seems to get played on TCM to my continuing despair is 'The War Lover' (1962). Steve playing a baddie is a real treat and he does it well.

Your right never even saw WAR LOVER?

Plus, it's rarely written about?

Just stumbled on a tip, check out a very good site (cinemacafe by Arthur Grant) & he covers a lot on Steve right ow

(TRIVIA: OF all of Bruce Lee's-(l940-l973) students, Lee said McQueen was the strongest & *Coburn was the most talented.

& Does anyone know of the 1973 Lee funeral argument that went on?  It's easy to find on the net