spence

Is Steve McQueen "The King of Movie Cool?"

91 posts in this topic

(*-Indicates an *ACADEMY (AMPAS) AWARD always)   I thought this was cool in that TCM gave McQueen STOTM status for July, though he only did 28 pix.

12stly our own Ben Mankiewicz-(l967-) always said he'd like to be McQueen, when Ben visited what is still thee single oldest restaurant in whats left of HOLLYWOOD   Nat & Al's & Manny-(very elderly then) would do tricks & almost daily McQueen had a booth as you go on right nxt to the window. (NOTE: I visited there on my first vacation in April '99 & it was dead? Something creepier is that *Brando's son & daughter had a huge fight in NAT & AL'S, Christian stormed out & within a few hours committed that murder up at *Marlon's house on Mulholland!   As much as I love just being in there   I had soo much homework to do on what to see & like a big dummy 4-get THE FORMOSA, which was directly across *Goldwyn's studios & a ton more stars visited there   Matter of fact is legendary because of all the photos on it's walls & A funny bit, *WAYNE was just to loaded & just too darn big, s his buddies left him there & locked to door, coming back in the morning *THE DUKE was cooking breakfast for all.  THE FORMOSA used to also have MM, Curtis & *Lemmon in there every day when they were shooting SOME LIKE IT HOT  & on 1 special night after closing a tall guy came in perfectly dressed & only wanted to name out loud all the stars pix hanging up  Also used to 1997's LA Confidential & unlike about 75-80% of classic places still-standing-(FOR NOW) THE FORMOSA & NAT N'AL'S" are still hanging   By the way it cost over $35.00 bucks for 2 ice teas & 2 sands in the latter!!!

I know many aren't fans of Steven (Terrence) McQueen-(l930-l980)   But he was my very first Hero & Idol as a kid ages (9 to 15 or so)  I wasn't IN LOVE yet with THE MOVIES, but still of course watched them & my best pal  like CHARLES BRONSON-(P.S. When James Garner was on a Pvt. screenings, Osbo asked him if he got along with everybody in the epic & on Steve who was his neighbor then, said he was crazy, but on BRONSON -(GARNER) & said "Except for Charley Bronson) unquote

Actually it was him mostly & to some accent Evel Knievel too.  Truly suffered a bad life though, despite his $dough$ later in his life.  Always wanting to live on the edge, no matter what (TRIVIA: When racing motercross cross county & though all knew it was Steve, he'd use the alias HARVEY MUMFORD.

Very insecure about his acting ability, he had a personal competition with *Newman  BIG-TIME!   He'd say "Hell *Paul just acts like he's stealing hubcaps, but I did it"  unquote

But by the time reunited for 1974's TOWERING EPIC & they got along famously, except when it came to final credits & McQueen thought he deserved top billing over him, so WB's/Fox tried to do the calm thing by having Steve's name on the left, meaning people read from left to right   Plus, he insisted on having exact same dialogue as him

Another thing he insisted on was tearing up script pages  saying "I'm Better When I Don't Talk": Unquote

the egotistical *Yul Brynner had real problems with Steve, because Steve was doing little bits not in the screenplay & stealing scenes in the process   Obviously those 2 never worked again

I've always felt & wanted to know why he & NATALIE didn't do another pic though?  Because the 2 knew each other so much they could finish the others sentences.

Thing big thing that truly set him off, plus lots of drugs at the time is he was actually invited to Sharon Tate's ill-fated mansion on very same day  all were murdered  This changed him all say, not only constantly arming himself with lots of guns, but even slept with a magnum under his pillow! & a lot more coke feuled violence also started.

He also turned a few later big films, including early stages of '92's THE BODYGUARD ($122m.) (**1/2) Originally meant for him & *Cher. 

A lot more on McQueen to say, but reckon' that's enough for here  (TRIVIA: His idol was *JOHN WAYNE & he'd have a pat answer for kids & tell them "If You Ever Want to see What a Pro is, watch *WAYNE  unquote)

I's always been a bit foggy as top how he actually got aspestos poisoing though  Many say when in the marines he had to pack furnaces filled with the toxic stuff  He was always in trouble in the corps too & that was his punishment

Ironically his own ma died of a long infection, as did his daughter TERRY McQUEEN-(for some reason interred side by side with NATALIE WOOD?)

His son Chad McQueen-(l962-) is still alive & does several shows on his old man  (NOTE: He was the 2nd bully in THE KARATE KID) (ALSO: It's easy to find online & often on cable It was STEVE McQUEEN AND THE MAKING OF LE MANS (l97l)  (***) A well made 90min documentary on the famed race. Chad hosts it & again he was trying to compete with *Newman, who 1968 WINNING was a hit, LE MAN'S hit the deck $financially$ though

MORE FUN FAX: Yet another true thing this audience probably already knows  McQueen, *James Coburn & James Garner always

studied under BRUCE LEE- & don't think Garner was at the funeral but Steve & *Coburn got into a tossel or something about Lee burial arrangement-(check it out, it almost got violent)

Anyway per usual are my own picks for "Essential McQueen"-(& of course as with any TCM Guest Programmer) only 4-5 at the most>

1. THE GREAT ESCAPE (l963)-(It was never really Steve doing the now legendary jump over barb wire, he was furious & wanted to do it too  Nellie his then wife yelled in I think it was a GRAUMAN'S upon seeing him make that jump "We Got 'EM ALL NOW" unquote)

2. MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (l960)-(this really put him of the map!!!)-(not to be ever mixed up with *Denzel's remake)

3. PAPILLON (l973)-(stretched as an actor like never before & I've always believed he deserved a 2nd *OSCAR shot as THE BUTTERFLY but deserved the statue) (P.S. There's funny stories co-star *HOFFMAN did during filming & then looked at the dailies & Steve was just underplaying him stealing their sequences together)

4. THE SAND PEBBLES (l966)-(as most reading this know this was his 1 & only shot at an *ACADEMY AWARD)

5th fav. BULLITT (l968)-(what can anyone know say about this powerhouse crime-drama. It's legendary car chase won it BEST FILM EDITING)

& by a wide mile his biggest $hit$ of course TOWERING INFERNO

Hands his hands imprinted outside GRAUMAN'S & got a WOF-STAR-(have to look in another & virtually a phone book it's so massive HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME (Samantha Hart)

Then of course came Ali McGraw during shooting of THE GETAWAY.

& I'm gonna' break the rules & suggested a couple more good ones some may enjoy>

THE REIVERS (l969) (***1/2-out of 4)  & JUNIOR BONNER (l972) (3 & 1/2) & of course THE GETAWAY (l972) (***1/2) All say he desperately need this film to explode!  Plus 65's finely tuned CINCINNATTI KID-(TRIVIA: This was originally being helmed by Peckinpah in B & W & Sharon Tate co-starred & above all THE GREAT: SPENCER TRACY was portraying Edward G's role of Lancey Howard-(aka THE MAN),  but when WB's saw the dailies the pulled the plug?  Think the studio in color instead, because-(personal note) had my #1 all-time idol vs. my childhood idol

& a few more Steve McQueen suggestion sports fans>THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (l968)-(***)  of course not to be confused with that flat (**) studio couldn't picture Steve as a bottom down time & were immediately turned-off, again they thought of *Newman or *Connery first, but he pulled it off The song ("WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND") took home the *0scar rehash yrs later.  SOLDIER IN THE RAIN despite having my first idol & later Gleason, it's not altogether a great film, a bit uneven just my opinion (strong **1/2)  & another & superior one where he again let out the violence in him was 1962's HELL IS FOR HEROES" (A strong ***)

& THE WORST/WEAKEST:  Now Steve wasn't *Paul Newman when it truly came to acting, he could be strong, but not versatile like *Paul  (PROOF: 1977's ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE (**)

& I kinda think 1980's TOM HORN (**1/2) most dump on it?

& of course there is his swan-song & final mess that played more like a tv movie instead THE HUNTER (*1/2)

Steve drastically sought help in Mexico, but it was to no avail & had his ashes scattered in that ocean

(QUESTION: who can see Steve in *Paul's role in COOL HAND LUKE?-(despite him being a blackbelt by then I think)

THANX FOR YOUR TIME, NOW WE SHALL SEE IF EDITING TEAM ALLOWS THIS AGAIN???

IT WORKED OBVIOUSLY & PLEASE THROPW IN YOUR 2 CENTS

THANX

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spence said:

Is Steve McQueen 'The King of Movie Cool'?

He  was - in the 60's and early 70's anyway.

P.S. In my opinion 'Papillon' was the best performance of his career.

One movie that never seems to get played on TCM to my continuing despair is 'The War Lover' (1962). Steve playing a baddie is a real treat and he does it well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, darkblue said:

He  was - in the 60's and early 70's anyway.

P.S. In my opinion 'Papillon' was the best performance of his career.

One movie that never seems to get played on TCM to my continuing despair is 'The War Lover' (1962). Steve playing a baddie is a real treat and he does it well.

I kinda' recall that one a bit.  Wasn't REDFORD also in there?  SINATRA was having yet another of his spats with SAMMY whom was scheduled to be in 1959's ok (**1/2) NEVER SO FEW but FRANK heard him on some radio show & instead cast Steve in his role instead

6 minutes ago, spence said:

I kinda' recall that one a bit.  Wasn't REDFORD also in there?  

No. Robert Wagner and Shirley Ann Field were the co-stars.

McQueen plays a reckless flying ace with a death wish. He's pretty psychotic.

It's based on the John Hersey novel.

• Like 1

darkblue agreed 100% on THE BUTTERFLY   He was truly robbed of not only a 2nd *Oscar shot, but always thought he deserved to WALK DOWN-THE-AISLE for it!?

Official Best Actor nominees for '73 were>

*Jack Lemmon, "Save the Tiger-(also brilliant & again)

Al Pacino, Serpico"

Redford in The Sting-(this is the slot McQueen truly deserved!?)

Nicholson in The Last Detail-(Ebert & Siskel always voted this his finest work)

& Brando, Last Tango in Paris

2 minutes ago, darkblue said:

No. Robert Wagner and Shirley Ann Field were the co-stars.

McQueen plays a reckless flying ace with a death wish. He's pretty psychotic.

It's based on the John Hersey novel.

Don't recall that one???  You got me buddy

• Like 1

Robert Redford was in War Hunt (1962), with John Saxon, Sydney Pollack, and Tom Skerritt.

War-Hunt1.jpg

The War Lover (also 1962) was Steve McQueen, Robert Wagner, and Shirley Anne Field. It's British, and I also recommend it.

MV5BZjg0MTcyNGMtY2I4ZS00MDVmLWE0YjEtNDc0

• Like 1

WOW! How could I leave out the 1962 WW2 film HELL IS FOR HEROES (***1/2)   Again, you could always feel the underlinging violent in the guy

AGAIN, it's strange he sadly never did another with NATALIE though   If you check all over the net you'll see regular pix of the duo, one is of him kissing her hand like she's a princess

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Robert Redford was in War Hunt (1962), with John Saxon, Sydney Pollack, and Tom Skerritt.

War-Hunt1.jpg

The War Lover (also 1962) was Steve McQueen, Robert Wagner, and Shirley Anne Field. It's British, and I also recommend it.

MV5BZjg0MTcyNGMtY2I4ZS00MDVmLWE0YjEtNDc0

THANKS< I just love original movie posters & of course Saul Bass was the king of them & creditsd

14 minutes ago, spence said:

I kinda' recall that one a bit.  Wasn't REDFORD also in there?  SINATRA was having yet another of his spats with SAMMY whom was scheduled to be in 1959's ok (**1/2) NEVER SO FEW but FRANK heard him on some radio show & instead cast Steve in his role instead

Can't believe I never as yet saw that one with him as a villian

OOPS, we left out THE BLOB     A kinda' fun flick though, but no heavyweights

& again, is tcm going to air a nice couple of comedy-dramas  THE REIVERS & JUNIOR BONNER-(ironically just after the explosive violence he displayed in Peckinpah's THE GETAWAY?  But for both of them JB was a gentle movie

Longtime pals of Steve when seeing him at an airport-(late '70's) couldn't even recognize him, except the blue eyes  He'd gained lbs & had a massive beard, mustache & very long hair   He beckoned to the guy & then this guy came over

2 minutes ago, spence said:

Longtime pals of Steve when seeing him at an airport-(late '70's) couldn't even recognize him, except the blue eyes  He'd gained lbs & had a massive beard, mustache & very long hair.

That's when he was filming 'An Enemy of the People'.

(ALERT FOR McQUEEN FANS:  I wanted The Citadel series of The Films of McQueen & of course NATALIE, but they folded?    Have (7) others in that tremendous series, but not them!)

Plus, there's a special docu always on somewhere-(cable, youtube)  Hosted by son Chad, covering everything about 1971's LE MANS (***-out of 4 stars) It's about 90 minutes too & strong stuff. LE MANS was once again trying to compete with *Newman, after *Paul made the hit racing film WINNING. In LE MANS again Steve disliked a lotta' dialogue & didn't speak much. Several were killed during the shoot in France as well  Sadly it was a financial failure though  SEARCH FOR STEVE McQUEEN AT LE MANS

9 minutes ago, darkblue said:

That's when he was filming 'An Enemy of the People'.

You have a good point, but during his last couple of yrs he always just let himself go in many way

When I was about 10/11 me & my buddies used to act out the scenes from T. INFERNO  Of course I had to be Steve

I was to young to have mum go & see PAPILLON though

SOMETHING I WANT TO ASK YOU FANS OF THE MEDIUM,  could you see him in the legendary role of  COOL HAND LUKE?

I've always pondered that one for yrs???

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS ONGOING TOPICAL NONSE!

I don't even write as many of my fellow TCM-ITES & they seem to do fine at this

This is the 3rd to 4th time in under 48yrs easily'

When I get done with something & then hit POST, it has me logged-out ONCE AGAIN      WHY?

9 minutes ago, spence said:

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS ONGOING TOPICAL NONSE!

I don't even write as many of my fellow TCM-ITES & they seem to do fine at this

This is the 3rd to 4th time in under 48yrs easily'

When I get done with something & then hit POST, it has me logged-out ONCE AGAIN      WHY?

I've never had anything like that happen to me. Are you sure it isn't something on your end? Maybe your computer/device, your internet strength, modem/router issues, browser settings? I'm not too technically inclined, so I can't be of much help.

• Like 1

THANX!   You & only a handful at best always & immediately reply pal.    It is totally ridiculous  & getting worse

I'm about 98% certain it's not on this end, for a few reasons  I've posted far longer items-(one that really brings to mind) Is tilted WHERE THE GOLDEN AGE GIANTS REST   That was by far my largest & still probably be located in my profile-(maybe 3yrs ago?)  Mainly about what even regular people in LA & surrounding areas have long nicknamed the F. Lawn" in GLENDALE-but not the Hollywood Hills/Burbank) (P.S. Do you recall it? I have it saved in my files, but a lot of celebs have since joined them since. Cyndi TRACY had me send her a massive copy via snail-=mail yrs ago-(2007) & was amazed, basically it was only a map, had it enlarged & wrote most all over it, mainly the sides because there were no more room!  She mainly wanted to know where SPENCER was on paper & like most fans at it's GREAT MAUSOLEUM they won't let you in-(318 mountainous acres)  Back to the point I can never finish a topic on here?  Feels like they are deliberately editing things & I never use foul language either   & still cannot install a darn AVATAR-(had a couple shots, not great ones) of TRACY too.  SAlso get so busy with stuff, I keep forgetting-(though saved them)  (FINAL NOTE: If you ever find one of him in BLACKROCK that's the one i'd most love

THANKS AGAIN

Spence. I don't have a very good clue. In reading posts from you, there are times you are possibly hitting the wrong keys on the keyboard. I took typing in high school, 'cause the class had lots of chicks. I could not use an electric typewriter. I put too much pressure on the keys. We still had manual typewriters, as this was way back in the 1970s. I am also dyslexic. Typing is hard and takes forever. I do know if you tap 2 keys in the wrong combination, it can spell trouble. Your first post here was long, and the forum did not time-out. So, I don't believe the forum is the problem. Also, if you don't already do so, I suggest using the 'Remember Me' checkbox at sign-in.

sign in.jpg

Maybe this diagram will help. As you know, LawrenceA has been King of Avatar edits for ages. When I first joined last year, making or editing an Avatar didn't work well and could only be done by URL. That seems to be corrected now.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I've never had anything like that happen to me. Are you sure it isn't something on your end? Maybe your computer/device, your internet strength, modem/router issues, browser settings? I'm not too technically inclined, so I can't be of much help.

LawrenceA, just got some negative news from our editors-(WILL SAVE FOR LATER)

In short is you AVATAR/HANDLE FROM THE MAGNIFICENT (AFI in 1999 voted it #5th) & in 07 it went down to #7th place) *LAWRENCE OF ARABIA?"  & saw an interviews few yrs back-(on youtube now) where *S. MACLAINE was asked by Larry King in kinda a GP mode, your top 3-4 motion pictures & she said *LAWRENCE, INHERIT THE WIND & KANE

Man pal this is why our favorite network & on here is going

39 minutes ago, spence said:

LawrenceA, just got some negative news from our editors-(WILL SAVE FOR LATER)

What do you mean? What are you saving for later? And why is it being saved for later?

23 hours ago, spence said:

know howA lot more on McQueen to say, but reckon' that's enough for here  (TRIVIA: His idol was *JOHN WAYNE & he'd have a pat answer for kids & tell them "If You Ever Want to see What a Pro is, watch *WAYNE  unquote)

"when I need to know how to act tough, I just look at The Duke." -Steve McQueen

:)

Image result for john wayne and steve mcqueen

• Like 1

Steverino's macho man, look at me I'm riding a motorcycle act is a bit frayed

at the edges, but it still occasionally works as a marketing tool. Cool has

its limits. Not even McQueen could make black socks and sandals cool.