spence

Due to TCM celebrating the great movie comedians, who are your own favs???

20 posts in this topic

I see the greatest comedic duo to ever be on THE SILVER-SCREEN> Olivier (Norvell) Hardy-(l892-l957) & Arthur (Stanley) Jefferson-(l890-l965) are on the network tonight-(AN ASIDE: Are superb as they were & still are I personally &closely rate Jackie (RALPH) Kramden  Art (ED NORTON) Carney a slight superior, as u know though that was tv & Ironically Gleason's idols were indeed: Oliie & Jack 0akie. I think *Carney's was always *CAGNEY & got to co-star in his very final work a 1984 tv movie TERRIBLE JOE MORAN  for which *Carney added on yet another EMMY. As for the REAL MR. TELEVISION  THE GREAT ONE: JOHN (Herbert) GLEASON the EMMYS SHOULD more than ashamed, never once voting him that award & furthermore they had the....to install a lifesize statue of RALPH directly in front if it's headquarters!!! 

Back to whom you fans rate as the all-timers?

To me *CHARLES (Spencer) CHAPLIN-(l889-l97) is the screen's ultimate genius, but never made me laugh?

BUSTER-(Joseph Francis Keaton) (l895-l966) pretty much ruined by sound & L.B. Mayer

THE MARX BROTHERS

THE THREE STOOGES-(I know many will scuff at this pick)

LAUREL & HARDY-(though I prefer the sound flix a bit more)

W.C,. FIELDS-(William Cluade Dukenfield)-(l879-l946)  A word they throw around far too much in this industry I GENIUS, but like *Charlie, Keaton he truly was one indeed!

ABBOTT & COSTELLO-(maybe the most popular with fans & even lead annual $B.O.$ for 1942)

• Like 1

& don't 4-get about Universals Olsen & Jolsen!   What do we have now, Pauly Shore, Chris Tucker & Chris Hart, or how about Jack Black???

WEll, they did it ONCE AGAIN!?  This is top all I wanted to post & revised it & other stuff, THEN OF COURSE IT GOT DELETED, AGAIN    WOW?

To all my fellow TCM-ITES,  welp as I previously noted on this post this was truly a trunkaded version-(IT ALSO CUT ME OFF!) AS DID THE STEVE McQUEEN ARTICLE AS WELL-(that 2) & THEN IT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO ONLKY REVISED & REEDIT THIS TCM'S MOVIE COMICS POST, I WAS PROUD & THOUGHT YOU FANS WOULD ENJOY THIS ONE, BUT NOOOOOOO!  THEY CUT IT DOWN, AFTER FIRST SENDING IT INTO CYBERSPACE

VERY TIRED & FED-UP   THIS HAPPENESS FAR TOO MUCH MY FIRENDS & WE NEED TO PROTEST IN NUMBERS

I've just adored Laurel & Hardy since I was a little girl.

They had a buddy chemistry, a sort of Oscar Madison/Felix Unger kind of thing going on in their relationship on screen, though more like Laurel was the silly one and Hardy the more 'intelligent' one but not quite intelligent that he can't keep Stan from dragging him into many silly situations.

• Like 2

I am a newbie so I have no idea what you, Spence, are talking about.  Are you saying someone at TCM censored your post or just that a technical issue cut it off?

Back to the point.  All great choices.  I love them all.  The Stooges were always my favorites with Abbott & Costello in a close second and Laurel and Hardy a very close third.  Of course this is because I was exposed to them as a kid.   As an adult I learned about the genius of Chaplin and how insanely remarkable Keaton was.  More recently Harold Lloyd has come into my field of vision thanks to TCM.  It is truly amazing what these people accomplished.  In some case a hundred years later they can still get laughs.

And we should never forget the television gems like Gleason and Carney as well as Randall and Klugman.  Not that they didn't all have wonderful film careers.

I could honestly go on and on with this, but I know others have their picks and I will agree with most of them.  The first person I am going to mention is an individual who could do it all and definitely deserves to be on this list.

Jack Lemmon.  His talent was boundless. :)

• Like 1

Here are my favorite classic movie comedians:

The Marx Brothers didn't make many films but some of them are among my favorite films of all time. I love the combination of verbal comedy and sight gags.

Laurel & Hardy have an incredible body of work. Their chemistry is great, and they had the ability to make comic gold out of the simplest situations. Their reactions to what happens on screen are often funnier than the gags.

W.C. Fields was a grower for me - I didn't get him at first, but he has gradually become on of my favorites as well. "It's A Gift" is one of the all time great comedies and just scratches the surface.

I can thank Buster Keaton for getting me into classic film.  His short "Cops" was the first film I ever owned (in Super Eight). He's remained my favorite silent movie comedian.

Harold Lloyd is just a couple notches below Buster. I think his feature films are as great as Buster's, but his short films are very hit and miss (of course, he made a lot more of them than Keaton).

Charlie Chaplin is, no doubt, an important figure in film history. I enjoy most of his features and he's had some brilliant short films, but he's had quite a few films that I found underwhelming.

Charley Chase is a movie comedian I discovered much later - his films come off like an early take on sitcoms. Dick Van Dyke might have been a Stan Laurel fan, but his Rob Petrie character is much closer to Chase than Laurel.

Rounding it out: The Three Stooges, Abbott & Costello and Jerry Lewis were childhood faves, but I would say I just like them rather than love them now.  All three can be hysterically funny, but as I've gotten older, I found that their humor is best seen in small doses. That said, there's quite a few Stooges shorts I can never get tired of seeing, and "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" and "The Nutty Professor" are definitely keepers for me.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I've just adored Laurel & Hardy since I was a little girl.

They had a buddy chemistry, a sort of Oscar Madison/Felix Unger kind of thing going on in their relationship on screen, though more like Laurel was the silly one and Hardy the more 'intelligent' one but not quite intelligent that he can't keep Stan from dragging him into many silly situations.

& though I get more belly laughs out of THE STOOGES, STAN & OLLIE were 180 degrees more subtle

& most forget they had to be given they started in the silent era, which can easily see the same subtle comedy in their sound flix

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, Stoopnagle said:

Here are my favorite classic movie comedians:

The Marx Brothers didn't make many films but some of them are among my favorite films of all time. I love the combination of verbal comedy and sight gags.

Laurel & Hardy have an incredible body of work. Their chemistry is great, and they had the ability to make comic gold out of the simplest situations. Their reactions to what happens on screen are often funnier than the gags.

W.C. Fields was a grower for me - I didn't get him at first, but he has gradually become on of my favorites as well. "It's A Gift" is one of the all time great comedies and just scratches the surface.

I can thank Buster Keaton for getting me into classic film.  His short "Cops" was the first film I ever owned (in Super Eight). He's remained my favorite silent movie comedian.

Harold Lloyd is just a couple notches below Buster. I think his feature films are as great as Buster's, but his short films are very hit and miss (of course, he made a lot more of them than Keaton).

Charlie Chaplin is, no doubt, an important figure in film history. I enjoy most of his features and he's had some brilliant short films, but he's had quite a few films that I found underwhelming.

Charley Chase is a movie comedian I discovered much later - his films come off like an early take on sitcoms. Dick Van Dyke might have been a Stan Laurel fan, but his Rob Petrie character is much closer to Chase than Laurel.

Rounding it out: The Three Stooges, Abbott & Costello and Jerry Lewis were childhood faves, but I would say I just like them rather than love them now.  All three can be hysterically funny, but as I've gotten older, I found that their humor is best seen in small doses. That said, there's quite a few Stooges shorts I can never get tired of seeing, and "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" and "The Nutty Professor" are definitely keepers for me.

THANK YOU FOR CHIMING IN, FOR SOME REASON NOT MANY HAVE YET?

Sadly the only movie comedians I truly like in this sad era of HOLLYWOOD is of course by far *THE WOODMAN  & ALBERT BROOKS.

Anybody else find Albert (Einstein) Brooks-(l947-) funny? His bro is Super Dave 0sborne by the way

& though he's of course mainly tv Larry David is hilarious, yet on his last season he was over the top & even more obnoxious

Most are leaving out 92yr old *MEL BROOKS?

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Looney said:

I am a newbie so I have no idea what you, Spence, are talking about.  Are you saying someone at TCM censored your post or just that a technical issue cut it off?

Back to the point.  All great choices.  I love them all.  The Stooges were always my favorites with Abbott & Costello in a close second and Laurel and Hardy a very close third.  Of course this is because I was exposed to them as a kid.   As an adult I learned about the genius of Chaplin and how insanely remarkable Keaton was.  More recently Harold Lloyd has come into my field of vision thanks to TCM.  It is truly amazing what these people accomplished.  In some case a hundred years later they can still get laughs.

And we should never forget the television gems like Gleason and Carney as well as Randall and Klugman.  Not that they didn't all have wonderful film careers.

I could honestly go on and on with this, but I know others have their picks and I will agree with most of them.  The first person I am going to mention is an individual who could do it all and definitely deserves to be on this list.

& sadly unlike the poor genius-(a word thrown around far too much in cinema) unlike Harold Lloyd-(l893-l97l)-(yet another resident of Glendale's "F. Lawn")  Buster Keaton was destroyed on many levels (sound, alcoholism, N. Talmadge, L.B. Mayer,etc) & died almost broke

& as I wrote I rank Gleason & *Carney-(most don't know he's also an *Oscar winner for 1974's wonderful HARRY & TONTO) & won 6 EMMYS too!

As even greater a comedic duo then Laurel & Hardy    Strangely off camera the dynamic duo ran in different circles & were not very close?  *Carney-(Norton) hung out with his idol *CAGNEY a lot

(NOTE: For fans of *CARNEY check out these features  1979's GOING IN STYLE-(recent rehash was ok (**1/2) at best.  THE LATE SHOW (l977)-(deserved another *OSCAR shot for it)

• Like 1

Sadly Lou Costello-(l906-59) contracted either scarlett or rheumatic fever while he & Abbott were on grueling tours for WW2

Bud (William) Abbott-(l895-l974) was actually an epileptic & alcoholic & once Lou went he lived another 15yrs but it was never the same of course   Eventually having to live with his kids & suffered a few strokes  He gambled away his $dough$ on the horses too.

I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY HE WAS THEE FINEST STRAIGHTMAN IN HISTORY!!!  I actually laugh more at him then Lou

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spence said:

THANK YOU FOR SOMEBODFY IN OUR SAD ERA REMEMBERING WILLIAM (Claude) DUNKENFIELD-(l879-l946)

(TRIVIA: JOHNNY CARSON'S LIFELONG IDOL SINCE CHILDHOOD & AT THE MOVIES WAS *JAMES STEWQART & JACK BENNY LATER-(you can see Benny is his style)

ON THAT NOTE, IT'S ON YOUTUBE & I STILL HAVE IT ON VIDEO SOMEWHERE FROM 1987 WHERE JOHNNY WALKS AROUND THE UNIVERSAL CITY STUDIOS BACKLOT-(Burbank) WITH HIS BOYHOOD HERO *JIMMY STEWART & IT'S ABOUT 90 MINUTES & THEY TALK, SHOW CLIPS THE WORKS  THINK IT'S CALLED *JIMMY STEWART: A WONDERFUL LIFE    TRUST ME FOR HIS FANS YOU'LL LOVE IT

BUT ED McMAHON ALWAYS & WITHOUT PAUSE IDOLIZED W.C. FIELDS ALL HIS LIFE!!!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Looney said:

But do you like THE STOOGS post the shorts for Columbia? & WHAT ABOUT BESSER?-(sadly the sole one there when they finally got a WOF-STAR in 1984 or so)  I knew exactly where their STAR was located & I always stayed same place at 777 n. vine & all I had to doi one evening was take a taxi straight up Vine & there it was to get a shot. Some guy sitting on a bench in frt of it asked me if I was the press or something

I'm certain one of you fellow TCM-ITES remember a guy that pre dates *CHAPLIN,  MAX LINDER?

He fell off a train while trying to either board it or exit it back in the 1920's

& another most forget-(though I don't know much about him myself) was HARRY LANGDON-(l884-l944)

I forgot, yet another personal tragedy that occured to BUSTER KEATON was what happened to his close friend ROSCOE (Fatty) ARBUCKLE.-(l887-l933)   He ended up doing pouch up the scripts for the likes of RED SKELTON-(l9l3-1998) & others.   I;m not judging Arbuckle here either way, but they were as close as can be

& The Talmage Sisters cleaned him out $$$$

19 hours ago, spence said:

& sadly unlike the poor genius-(a word thrown around far too much in cinema) unlike Harold Lloyd-(l893-l97l)-(yet another resident of Glendale's "F. Lawn")  Buster Keaton was destroyed on many levels (sound, alcoholism, N. Talmadge, L.B. Mayer,etc) & died almost broke

& as I wrote I rank Gleason & *Carney-(most don't know he's also an *Oscar winner for 1974's wonderful HARRY & TONTO) & won 6 EMMYS too!

As even greater a comedic duo then Laurel & Hardy    Strangely off camera the dynamic duo ran in different circles & were not very close?  *Carney-(Norton) hung out with his idol *CAGNEY a lot

(NOTE: For fans of *CARNEY check out these features  1979's GOING IN STYLE-(recent rehash was ok (**1/2) at best.  THE LATE SHOW (l977)-(deserved another *OSCAR shot for it)

Yep, in the words of both *COOP & *CLINT!   t's been going on a couple yrs & never used to though    I'll either add or make a reply to another post a bit too long, or even when it's not too long & it gets chopped up & I get cut off & have to totally sign back in   TCM Adminstrator informed me at length why though    Very frustrating

My original article/post-(prefer term article myself) was a bit longer on this super topic, then I hit POST/SUBMIT REPLY & it got edited down???

& more of Ed Norton, most may not know this but he was in WW11

19 hours ago, spence said:

& Lloyd blew 2 fingers off during the silent era doing a stunt

Most of his films-(Lloyd), Laurel & Hardy & Our Gang were shot on Thomas Ince Blvd. & Atlantic Avenue, just outside the legendary-(but no tours for fans) & still always functioning CULVER STUDIOS!  Just down the street from what was thee grandest of all of HOLLYWOODS DREAM FACTORIES> METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER-(est: 1924-) Now of course among the all-time biggest letdowns & travesty's in history of that empire, SONY PICTURES-(barely 40 acres from over 200 at it's pinnacle) THE *THALBERG BLDG is at least still-standing, for now anyway? & you can see some of the writers bungalows & they did-(not now too much) had certain stars names on some buldings like THE SPENCER TRACY BLDG, KATE HEPBURN BLDG, GABLE, JAMES STEWART,etc  but at last check most names have now been removed?  A nice ladyguide though kept me after the only handful of tourists left & we all-(my mum & here & myself) took photos altogether & she even gave me a free poster, of course of an upcoming Sony release *Sean Penn's flat (**) rehash of ALL THE KING'S MEN

(FINAL NOTE: It's still got a 4 star website on both (seeingstars.com)-(one of the best there is by the way! seeingstars.com covers just about EVERYTHING HOLLYWOOD HISTORY) I';ve always voted it among the half dozen movie websites. & CHECK OUT THE OFFICIAL CULER STUDIOS.COM WEBSITE, TERRIFIC GRAOPHICS, INFO & DON'T KNOW HOWTHEY DID THIS BECAUSE FANS AREN'T ALLOWED INSIDE It'S GATES, A SOMEWHAT RIDE A LONG?    Closest cinehiles can get all say is it's front gates where you can still easily see the *GWTW façade of the mansion, & Duel in the Sun,etc

THANK YOU & PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THAT JAZZ WORKS OUT???    CURIOUS???

21 hours ago, spence said:

But do you like THE STOOGS post the shorts for Columbia? & WHAT ABOUT BESSER?-(sadly the sole one there when they finally got a WOF-STAR in 1984 or so)  I knew exactly where their STAR was located & I always stayed same place at 777 n. vine & all I had to doi one evening was take a taxi straight up Vine & there it was to get a shot. Some guy sitting on a bench in frt of it asked me if I was the press or something

Yes, I enjoy most everything they ever did with the exception of the animated stuff.  I like the animated stuff okay, but I get annoyed with it after awhile - possibly the music might be the main culprit.  And I see Besser as an experimental twist.  They rehashed some old plots and gags, but they had a few original ideas mixed in those times as well.  So I do like the "post the shorts for Columbia" stuff, but I love the Columbia shorts.